Why does my late model year 2013 JKUR have canvas and not vinyl? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why does my late model year 2013 JKUR have canvas and not vinyl?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Why does my late model year 2013 JKUR have canvas and not vinyl?

My local club was featured at a show and shine, so I unboxed the soft top and finally installed it, and I noticed my late model run Rubicon has a canvas soft top when all the other 2013's and earlier JKs have vinyl. Most of us have factory dual tops so I don't think it's a build thing...

Does anyone know why Jeep changed from vinyl to canvas in late 2013?

It "looks" a lot nicer, and one member suspected I might be Fiat making the JK more marketable in outside of North America, but apart from that logic it would be nice to know the real reason. The funny thing was that as soon as I discovered this and commented on it it to someone, a 101 people started touching the canvas.

Also, how do I take care of this thing if it's different from the majority of JK soft tops out there.

Thanks in advance!

ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Nuke83
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you got the dual top option, the soft top is the Premium Sunrider. Three layers total thickness instead of one. Also, fabric exterior instead of the canvas (sailcloth fabric). As far as care, you want to use the High Tech Fabric Guard repellent from 303. Don't use any product made for vinyl. The material is the same as the Bestop Twill Supertop NX. The premium top has NO PVC's, so it's critical that you don't use the protectant they make for vinyl tops.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3.../dp/B000A8JNF0
Nuke83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
THespos
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
The funny thing was that as soon as I discovered this and commented on it it to someone, a 101 people started touching the canvas.
As soon as I got my Jeep I joined a 4WD club, and when the members saw my soft top, they immediately reacted very positively and wanted to touch it to see the difference. I love the material. It's quite nice, and if I were to ever replace my soft top, I'd want the same material.
THespos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Nuke83
2013 JK Wrangler 

Also, if you don't want the cleaner and just the fabric guard, you can order it separately (and less expensive getting 32 oz of spray instead of the cleaner and 16 oz of spray). The important thing is to NOT use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

My wife has a new Beetle convertible and the first thing I did was give it a treatment with the High Tech Fabric Guard and water beads on it like water on a ducks back. Amazing.

BTW, the premium top has the spring assist and is much quieter and cooler than the standard soft top.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...h+fabric+guard
Nuke83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke83 View Post
If you got the dual top option, the soft top is the Premium Sunrider. Three layers total thickness instead of one. Also, fabric exterior instead of the canvas (sailcloth fabric). As far as care, you want to use the High Tech Fabric Guard repellent from 303. Don't use any product made for vinyl. The material is the same as the Bestop Twill Supertop NX. The premium top has NO PVC's, so it's critical that you don't use the protectant they make for vinyl tops.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3.../dp/B000A8JNF0
Cool, so just to be clear...

1. Regular cleaning, use pressure washer.
2. When I want to restore water repellency or remove dirt/stains, use the above mentioned product (or something like it).
3. Be careful not to get soap/wax on my soft top when washing it.
4. Ask my wife not to take it through automatic car washes when the soft top is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke83 View Post
Also, if you don't want the cleaner and just the fabric guard, you can order it separately (and less expensive getting 32 oz of spray instead of the cleaner and 16 oz of spray). The important thing is to NOT use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

BTW, the premium top has the spring assist and is much quieter and cooler than the standard soft top.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...h+fabric+guard
Oh yeah, I was impressed with the ease of install and functionality once I discovered that I should have opened the window boxes before trying to install it because they contained 99.999% of the hardware and required bits LOL!

Also, how does this thing hold up to sticks, branches, and other stuff on the trails?
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
THespos
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
Also, how does this thing hold up to sticks, branches, and other stuff on the trails?
For me, the fabric is holding up very well. However, the windows are very easily scratched by low-hanging branches. At this rate, I'm anticipating that I get maybe 2-3 years out of the windows before they need to be replaced just for looking too scratched up. I don't trail ride very often, but when I do, I'm getting a ton of scratches.
THespos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Since when are there vinyl tops? I thought the OE soft top was a bestop?

You don't want a vinyl top anyway, the sailcloth is much more durable and won't stretch or fade as much.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I wash mine all the time with "soap" and it's not a problem. Wax will probably leave residue. But if you use a sealer instead you'll be fine.

Just fyi, I use this stuff.

www.adamspolishes.com
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.