Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Why does my late model year 2013 JKUR have canvas and not vinyl?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rha600 
#1 ·
My local club was featured at a show and shine, so I unboxed the soft top and finally installed it, and I noticed my late model run Rubicon has a canvas soft top when all the other 2013's and earlier JKs have vinyl. Most of us have factory dual tops so I don't think it's a build thing...

Does anyone know why Jeep changed from vinyl to canvas in late 2013?

It "looks" a lot nicer, and one member suspected I might be Fiat making the JK more marketable in outside of North America, but apart from that logic it would be nice to know the real reason. The funny thing was that as soon as I discovered this and commented on it it to someone, a 101 people started touching the canvas.

Also, how do I take care of this thing if it's different from the majority of JK soft tops out there.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
If you got the dual top option, the soft top is the Premium Sunrider. Three layers total thickness instead of one. Also, fabric exterior instead of the canvas (sailcloth fabric). As far as care, you want to use the High Tech Fabric Guard repellent from 303. Don't use any product made for vinyl. The material is the same as the Bestop Twill Supertop NX. The premium top has NO PVC's, so it's critical that you don't use the protectant they make for vinyl tops.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30520-Convertible-Cleaning/dp/B000A8JNF0

#5 ·
Cool, so just to be clear...

1. Regular cleaning, use pressure washer.
2. When I want to restore water repellency or remove dirt/stains, use the above mentioned product (or something like it).
3. Be careful not to get soap/wax on my soft top when washing it.
4. Ask my wife not to take it through automatic car washes when the soft top is on.

Also, if you don't want the cleaner and just the fabric guard, you can order it separately (and less expensive getting 32 oz of spray instead of the cleaner and 16 oz of spray). The important thing is to NOT use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

BTW, the premium top has the spring assist and is much quieter and cooler than the standard soft top.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-...26&sr=8-2&keywords=303+high+tech+fabric+guard
Oh yeah, I was impressed with the ease of install and functionality once I discovered that I should have opened the window boxes before trying to install it because they contained 99.999% of the hardware and required bits LOL!

Also, how does this thing hold up to sticks, branches, and other stuff on the trails?

#3 ·
The funny thing was that as soon as I discovered this and commented on it it to someone, a 101 people started touching the canvas.
As soon as I got my Jeep I joined a 4WD club, and when the members saw my soft top, they immediately reacted very positively and wanted to touch it to see the difference. I love the material. It's quite nice, and if I were to ever replace my soft top, I'd want the same material.

#4 ·
Also, if you don't want the cleaner and just the fabric guard, you can order it separately (and less expensive getting 32 oz of spray instead of the cleaner and 16 oz of spray). The important thing is to NOT use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

My wife has a new Beetle convertible and the first thing I did was give it a treatment with the High Tech Fabric Guard and water beads on it like water on a ducks back. Amazing.

BTW, the premium top has the spring assist and is much quieter and cooler than the standard soft top.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-...26&sr=8-2&keywords=303+high+tech+fabric+guard

#7 ·
Since when are there vinyl tops? I thought the OE soft top was a bestop?

You don't want a vinyl top anyway, the sailcloth is much more durable and won't stretch or fade as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.