Why does the 3.6L V6 sound like a diesel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why does the 3.6L V6 sound like a diesel?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Vulpine

Why does the 3.6L V6 sound like a diesel?

While it sounds normal from outside the vehicle, accelerating down the highway sounds like a diesel engine or like it's knocking all the time when I'm driving. Is this normal for this particular engine, do I need to re-tune it, or just use higher octane gas?

Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

higher octane gas wont solve anything with this engine. as far as it soundin like a diesel im not really sure where you are coming from cuz mine and others that i have ridden in do not sound at all like a diesel
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpine View Post
While it sounds normal from outside the vehicle, accelerating down the highway sounds like a diesel engine or like it's knocking all the time when I'm driving. Is this normal for this particular engine, do I need to re-tune it, or just use higher octane gas?
It should not be knocking if that is indeed what you are hearing. Knocking causes damage.

As a test, fill it up with the highest octane you can get. If it improves, there is something wrong with your injection/ignition system and it should be checked. If there is no change, than you might be hearing something other than knocking. Have an experienced person listen.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
brupard
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know but if your able to figure it out pls let me know. Mine's done it since early on but the dealership couldn't duplicate the issue when I took it in.
brupard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

well if its like mine, it might be the engine pinging. I have tried different gases and gas stations now its going to the dealer on monday
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Ancient Mariner
2012 JK Wrangler 

Similar Problem

I've had my Jeep for over two years and it ran fine. Suddenly I keep hearing the pre-ignition pinging in the last few months. I did switch from Shell back to Costco and it is a lot better. I think it is the fuel the methanol mix. It only started when I purposely went to the Shell station in town. Power and mileage are good. ????
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's your vivid imagination. This engine makes no noise as a requirement by minivan standards. If it is, take it in to the dealer.
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
It's your vivid imagination. This engine makes no noise as a requirement by minivan standards. If it is, take it in to the dealer.
X2 AND if you have a JK you have a 3.8L engine..............

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
I've had my Jeep for over two years and it ran fine. Suddenly I keep hearing the pre-ignition pinging in the last few months. I did switch from Shell back to Costco and it is a lot better. I think it is the fuel the methanol mix. It only started when I purposely went to the Shell station in town. Power and mileage are good. ????
Wow Costco gas FIXED the problem. never thought i would hear that!
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe you have an exhaust leak somewhere? Check it out. This engine sounds nothing like a diesel.....I wish it did and was a diesel though!
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I know exactly what you're talking about. It's not egine knock or ping. It's very faint and it's the muffler sound at low rpm when starting out in 1st gear. It's more reminiscent of a diesel sound than a diesel sound.
daggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
ChrisRobinette
2009 JK Wrangler 

My engine is noisy as hell when I have the doors off. I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary, it just sounds like a noisy engine when I can actually hear it.
ChrisRobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
iambeekay
2007 JK Wrangler 

get video of it and bring it to the dealer.
I got the runaround on a gastank issue, they said they could not duplicate it and sent me home (the dud didnt even fill the tank, he put 5 bucks in it and said no issue, it was at 1/4 tank!). I popped out the phonecam and recorded the gas blasting out of the tank fill neck when filled up. They watched the video and fixed it instantly (with a new gas tank).

I know this is hard while driving (wind noise etc) but this will help in the diagnosis.

My Jeep has no crazy loud noises as noted.
bk
2001 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS Silver
2004 Bigfoot 29SL Ford F450 V10 4 Season RV
1974 Harley Sportster XLCH
iambeekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.