Why are 17/18" tires more expensive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why are 17/18" tires more expensive?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
jimmyzwheelz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why are 17/18" tires more expensive?

I'm just curious...why are tires for 17" and 18" wheels more expensive for a comparable tire size (i.e. 33 X 12.5) over 15" and 16" wheels. I mean, there is a lot more raw material that goes into making tires for smaller rim sizes (again for a comparable tire size)...it just doesn't make sense to me!

Jimmy

jimmyzwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Supply and Demand, but mostly Demand, since most vehicles are comming stock with 17" 18" and 20" now. I mean they can charge whatever they want, kinda hard to go down in wheel size on some vehicles due to larger breaks

http://zoneoffroad.com/bad-to-the-bone?feat=34
sethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Beltfed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think its all Bull sit.... if you think about it... there is less materail in a tire for a 17 inch rim than there is for a 15.... its all a money grab... there are more 17's runnin around so they jack the price up on them cuz more people are buying them.... its why im am soooooo soooooo sooooo thinking about going to 15's... even buying 15" soft 8's and a set of tires is cheaper than just buying the same tires in 17
Unread 09-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Sgalway
2007 JK Wrangler 

The most expensive (pound for pound) part of the tire is the bead. This bead is longer for a larger diameter wheel.
Banks Monster exhaust -- K&N 77 CAI -- 3" Black Diamond Lift
17" Pro Comp Extremes with 35" BFG A/T's
AEV front bumper w/ Warn Powerplant -- Custom safari roof rack
Sgalway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltfed09 View Post
I think its all Bull sit.... if you think about it... there is less materail in a tire for a 17 inch rim than there is for a 15....
If that logic were logical, size 48 pants would cost a lot more than size 36 pants. But guess what? They don't. Hell, people who have enough flab to ooze over into the seat next to them on the plane pitch a fit at the concept of paying for the amount of space they use and call it "discrimination" if anyone suggests they do. Imagine if all pants were priced according to size. Next thing you know, Congress would announce an investigation into Levis' pricing practices.

Quote:
its all a money grab...
It's all supply and demand. If enough people are willing to buy 18" tires for $300 each, then why should anyone sell them for a penny less? Its Econ 101. Find the point on the graph at which demand and price maximize profit. It isn't rocket science.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
If that logic were logical, size 48 pants would cost a lot more than size 36 pants. But guess what? They don't. Hell, people who have enough flab to ooze over into the seat next to them on the plane pitch a fit at the concept of paying for the amount of space they use and call it "discrimination" if anyone suggests they do. Imagine if all pants were priced according to size. Next thing you know, Congress would announce an investigation into Levis' pricing practices.
Well then explain why Walmart and other stores are now charging $2 more for a XXl and $3 for a XXXl over the S-XL, the other day we ordered company shirts and they were $30 for S-XL, $33 for 2XL and $35 for 3XL, also my friend is 6'6" and is pushing 500lbs and they said he would have to buy two airline tickets or upgrade to first class to fly to Vegas this summer. He was pissed and they gave him a first class at 1/2 the price between an the seat he had and and the first class ticket, which was about the same price as 2 regular tickets

But I do agree it is supply and demand like I said up top

Unread 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethco View Post
Well then explain why Walmart and other stores are now charging $2 more for a XXl and $3 for a XXXl
Uh huh. And how many years did they NOT charge extra?

Quote:
also my friend is 6'6" and is pushing 500lbs and they said he would have to buy two airline tickets or upgrade to first class to fly to Vegas this summer....
Uh huh. And are you at all familiar with the press on this topic?
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Uh huh. And how many years did they NOT charge extra?

Uh huh. And are you at all familiar with the press on this topic?
I dont know how long they have been doing it I guess when they found out tires were being sold for more in larger sizes they figured they could do the same with clothes...

and im not that big so I dont feel the need to follow the press on the issue

Unread 09-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

if some guy was 6'6" 500lbs sitting next to me and crowding into my space I paid for, then I would get really pissed if he takes up two seats he needs to pay for two seats simple as that, sorry if it hurts his feelings or pocket book

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnev View Post
if some guy was 6'6" 500lbs sitting next to me and crowding into my space I paid for, then I would get really pissed if he takes up two seats he needs to pay for two seats simple as that, sorry if it hurts his feelings or pocket book

oh I totally agree but Im just saying they you get charged more for being bigger.

Unread 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
FatBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwheelz View Post
I'm just curious...why are tires for 17" and 18" wheels more expensive for a comparable tire size (i.e. 33 X 12.5) over 15" and 16" wheels. I mean, there is a lot more raw material that goes into making tires for smaller rim sizes (again for a comparable tire size)...it just doesn't make sense to me!

Jimmy
It's the same reason a doughnut costs more than a donut hole at Dunkin Donuts

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Waiting to be installed: Nuttin!

On order: Nuttin!

Some day: I may grow up, but I seriously doubt it. Oh, and a Hemi!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's all supply and demand. If enough people are willing to buy 18" tires for $300 each, then why should anyone sell them for a penny less? Its Econ 101. Find the point on the graph at which demand and price maximize profit. It isn't rocket science.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Its the same for Lifts, bumpers (especially) and just about anything else you can think of. Get some nice 15s and call it a day!
badazzelanore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
f1rocco
2008 JK Wrangler 

then they should charge you more if you go to a buffet and are a larger person...Maybe they should weigh you before you sit down to eat and weigh you once you are done and charge you based on how much more yoe weigh..lol
f1rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Budro
2009 JK Wrangler 

You could just buy used tires / rims on ebay or craigslist.
I recently purchased five - stock Rubicon 17' rims w/ BFGoodrich Mud Terrains. Only 800 miles on them.
Total cost - $970
Shipped from somewhere far up north to Texas.
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocco View Post
then they should charge you more if you go to a buffet and are a larger person...
You're assuming that a larger person eats more. They may not eat more - they may just eat foods with more calories or get less exercise.

Quote:
Maybe they should weigh you before you sit down to eat and weigh you once you are done and charge you based on how much more yoe weigh..lol
Easier to just weigh the food as you take it off the buffet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.