Who is running E rated tires on thier JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Who is running E rated tires on thier JK?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
TxJeepers
2014 JK Wrangler 

Who is running E rated tires on thier JK?

What tire, size and air pressure? Would you by E rated again? Why or why not?

I am looking at the Cooper S/T Maxx tires but they are only available with an E rating and I've read many mixed reviews on doing E's so I want to hear from some folks with first hand experience and if they would do it again or not.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...-S-T-MAXX.aspx

TxJeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
murfysflaw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I haven't run Es on my JK, but I had a set on my WJ for quite some time. Honestly, I don't think I'd do it again... they were considerably heavier and the ride on the road was noticeably more harsh. That said, I'm not sure they were ever going to wear out... they were probably going to dry rot before that.
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have Falken Wilepeaks on my JK. 305/70/16 size and they are E rated. For me, they are fine on the road. They are heavy, and if you don't put the TPMS sensors on (changing wheels for instance) you need to check air pressure more often.

I run 30 PSI in mine. I have talked to some that like them at 28 PSI. I am thinking about trying 32 PSI to see if it makes a difference next time I check them (this evening actually)

Would I purchase again.. yes, but I also would try a different tire (like Kevlar M/Ts) just to see differences. The Wildpeaks are an AT tire and not very aggressive but for my normal DD and the type of trail abuse I do, they are fine.

They are heavy (e rated tires, etc..)

As for compare.. I am not much help as I put them on will less then 500 miles on my JK, so I don't have any significant drive time on other tires. I am happy with the purchase of them.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
bill9274
2011 JK Wrangler 

i have mastercraft c/t's 265-75-16" e rated they are are brother to the cooper. they are great tires but they are a little heavy and pretty stiff. i have to run 35 lb in mine to keep the light off thinking they would have a programer out. may have to go ahead and get a procal to lower pressure setting. i will probably get duratracs next go around. its real hard to find anyone that doesnt like them.

Bill
bill9274 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

General Tire Grabber Red Letter, E-rated, heavy bastards, nothing to compare them to - but I find that they are quiet, road-worthy and great offroad. Very heavy is the only thing. Got no concerns about damaging them, that's for certain.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I ran the General Grabber AT2's for about a year, and they're E-rated.
HEAVY!!
If you want any kind of gas mileage or torque, the lower your "un-sprung" weight, the better. There's enough weight already that works against you if you add bumpers, winch, gear, tools, parts, fuel, people, etc. ("sprung weight")

Have you checked other SIZES of the same tire? There's usually a C-rated size that's not too far off. my $.02

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have BFGs A/T tires that are E-rated. I don't see any reason not to buy them again. I've had them on there for 5 years or so and they have plenty of tread on them. They seem to last a while.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
General Tire Grabber Red Letter, E-rated, heavy bastards, nothing to compare them to - but I find that they are quiet, road-worthy and great offroad. Very heavy is the only thing. Got no concerns about damaging them, that's for certain.
I know you do some serious wheeling with your rig and I'm curious how E rated tires perform aired down. Are the side walls really stiff? I think I'm going to stick with D rated tires when I go with 35s soon.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've run a set of ProComp Xtreme M/t E rated a set of D rated Duratracs and back to E rated Pitbull Rockers.
E rated are heavier and harder on gas. I run them at 26psi, rotate every 5,000klm (3000 mi) and check cross tread wear with a depth gauge. Love the ride of the D rated Duratracs and would imagine that the C rated would be even better ride, however, I like the toughness and durability of E rated tires.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I run Hankook Dynapro MTs--LT295/75x16s and they are "D" rated--

No reason for me to change--

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have 305/70 Goodyear Duratracs that are E Rated. Quiet and smooth on the road and I love them on the trails. I've got around 5000 miles on them so far (rotated them after 4k).

I've been running 36 on the street, and 18 on the trail.

and oh yeah, they are HEAVY.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have Goodyear wrangler territory 275/65/18 and they are E load. PSI is high and I think it's around 80. Some crazy number.

They are not too bad. Road noise is noticeable but not annoying. MPG took a hit. And it's a little stiffer ride. I feel more bumps. But it's not like riding in a car with low profile or anything like that.

Over big stuff they feel a little more spongy than little stuff.

I would recommend them.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

I run 10 ply (E) tires on my 2500 suburban (tow rig)...I'd run Cs on the JK if I could.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Spike6901

I have e rated BFG AT's and they are pretty heavy duty and a little rough. I run about 30 psi in them and air down to 16-18 offroad.

I was wondering if they were a bit too much and then I cut the side walls on rocks and they are still going strong. So, the extra layers are not a bad thing when you are in the back country.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I ran Toyo MT Open Country for 50K miles and they were "E" rated. Heavy tires. Great on the highway. Easy to balance. Not great for my Jeep offroad. Even aired down they didn't give me the footprint I like on sand. I now run GoodYear kevlar "C" rated tires. More sound on the highway. But great every other way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.