White "grease"? coming out of sides of diff. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > White "grease"? coming out of sides of diff.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

White "grease"? coming out of sides of diff.

I have a 2010 wrangler with about 6500K miles. White grease appears to be squirting out the sides of the diff cover. Is this a normal breaking in or do i need to be worried? Im having a lift kit installed in 2 days and i dont want to have warranty probs if its not normal

Jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Dmrennells
2007 JK Wrangler 

Give us some pics to work with. You’re not talking about the RTV sealant are you?
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need 'roads'.
Dmrennells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

No such thing as white grease in the diff. It can be water mixed with gear oil though. Once water gets in and the gears turning can make a fairly milky substance. Been in the water lately? If you have, pull that cover.

Your pic did not come through. Really tough to say what exactly it is...

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll bet it's RTV.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

So should I be worried or is this normal?
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I also expect it to be RTV...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Touch the stuff and tell us what it feels and smells like
Really, just do it!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah, if it smells kind of minty in an oily way, then it is gear oil...if not, then it is probably RTV...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
mike_baggly

2007 JK Wrangler 

six million, 500 hundred thousand miles has to be some kind of record
mike_baggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_baggly View Post
six million, 500 hundred thousand miles has to be some kind of record

good eyes...I missed that...I am sure he didn't mean that...

forum...

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Dmrennells
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is an illustration of RTV. This is completely normal.
imag0090.jpg  
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need 'roads'.
Dmrennells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

thats what i have.....being new, it looks new.....so that makes sense. Thanks so much.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.