JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Whirring noise from rear end! new gears! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/whirring-noise-rear-end-new-gears-1152948/)

alexkemple 01-12-2011 09:52 PM

Whirring noise from rear end! new gears!

I just got 5.38 gears installed about 75 miles ago. I noticed it from the beginning, which has been a day. It is like a whirring noise, or sounds like when you cup your hands and blow into them. It is not loud (my nitto mud grapplers drown it out) and is a constant sound (it never varies unless I am idiling, at which point it isnt there). My gear guy said it is probably a break-in noise, and I believe him, but I want some more input, just in case. It is not loud, doesn't sound like metal on metal, doesn't sound like a wheel bearing is shot. Please help!

oh, and 2010 JK unlimited rubicon, auto transmission, Dana 44 with stock e-lockers. 35" tires.

joe002 01-12-2011 10:03 PM

I haven't noticed any noise from my 5.38s...

RockyClymer 01-12-2011 10:05 PM

Has "your gear guy" done this before? Did "your gear guy" use a master install kit? Not trying to be too nosy, but wondering if the job was done correctly. Any guarantee on the work or gears? Honestly, this is the first post on this type of noise and circumstances I have seen...it does not sound correct to me and I have heard a few sets of new gears, mine included. None made the sound you refer to.

alexkemple 01-12-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyClymer (Post 10777845)
Has "your gear guy" done this before? Did "your gear guy" use a master install kit? Not trying to be too nosy, but wondering if the job was done correctly. Any guarantee on the work or gears? Honestly, this is the first post on this type of noise and circumstances I have seen...it does not sound correct to me and I have heard a few sets of new gears, mine included. None made the sound you refer to.

He has done many Jeeps before, and has used the same gears for a long time (G2 axle), the work and gears are guaranteed for 10 years, he did use master install kits from the factory. I don't know if this noise was there before, and I am just now noticing it now that I am listening!

Alex

RockyClymer 01-12-2011 10:14 PM

I would keep an eye (ear?) on it - I would also suggest that after about 500 miles or so that they pull the cover and drain out the lube and any accumulated shavings and have a look at things. Just MO that it should not make noise.

alexkemple 01-12-2011 10:18 PM

Yeah, I'm following the break-in instructions given to me, and off-roading Saturday on mild trails. I'm changing my diff oil at 500 miles, and I'll look in there to make sure all the wear looks even and there is nothing that looks wrong. My gear guy has to go in there again anyways because the locker sensor got messed up. I'll keep my best ear on it!
Alex

JLC08JK 01-12-2011 10:27 PM

It could be one of a few things, the fact that you say it never varies makes no sense. Any of the possible problems connected with a gear install will have a sound that varies with axle speed.
Most gears come from the factory with some texture to them that needs to wear smooth, hence break-in period.
If the gears are installed with to little backlash or not aligned with the proper wear pattern they will make noise and wear prematurely. This will also cause excessive heat which can lead to catastrophic failure.
If the pinion bearing was over-tightened at any point during the installation it can damage the bearing races by denting the surface, even if it was loosened back up to the proper pre-load.
If the pre-load on the pinion bearing is to tight it can make noise and will cause premature wear and excessive heat. If this is the case then the pinion needs to be removed and a new crush-sleeve installed before reseting the preload.
Hope this helps :tea:

alexkemple 01-12-2011 10:36 PM

Thanks. I've checked for heat, I drove 50 miles at 60mph and both doffs were still cool
Enough to touch!

Alex

1222 01-12-2011 10:45 PM

I agree with JLC08JK. You shouldn’t be having any strange noises just because you have new gears. Since he screwed up the install concerning the locker, he should have immediately went back in and fixed it.

Screw the waiting for the 500-mile oil change and have him fix your locker now. Be there when he pulls the cover and have him re-check the wear pattern and backlash to confirm that they are correct.
:cheers2:

paul84043 01-13-2011 05:34 AM

^^^^ This for sure, your wear pattern needs to be double checked. Just because he's done a few of these doesn't mean he's done them right, or has gotten overconfident and lazy and didn't to a wear test with paint.

This is weird, you'd think that the sound would increase and decrease in pitch if it were associated with the gears...this one doesn't really add up. I'd get under it and give everything a good once over, maybe they didn't get something back together right...? I'm at a loss.... Did they remember to refill the diff?

Joe Dillard 01-13-2011 05:48 AM

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

Warlord2 01-13-2011 06:51 AM

Shouldnt have any "break in" noise after a gear install. If there a sound then he needs to go back in and see whats happening. Gears are not a simple bolt on project. It takes lots of practice and is more of an art then most mechanics make it out to be.
They have driveline/gear shops for a reason....they do this work all day long and know what they are doing or they would be out of business.
Its nice that he warranties the work, but if your nowhere near his shop when something happens, your still stuck with the repair bill.

More then likely the locker sensor broke off because he installed it too late. Make sure both lockers are working properly before leaving the lot. He needs to install the sensor before the gears go in so the lip is on the correct side of a pressure plate. If its not, the sensor end can brake off or it can engage the locker. If he hasnt done any to a JK yet then its really easy to overlook.

Its prolly fine going back at 500 miles, just make sure the noise isnt there when you leave.

alexkemple 01-13-2011 01:21 PM

I checked my pinion bearing the easy way (went under and shook my driveshaft) I also staightened my control arms (stupid TeraFlex ball head lock nut always comes loose). I looked at everything and couldn't find any other problems. I am thinking it's more of a driveshaft problem now, I have a 4" lift and stock shafts, I'm about to get a Denny's 1310 shaft front and rear custom built. If y'all have any other ideas of what it might be, post them up!

1398653 02-16-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexkemple (Post 10780872)
I checked my pinion bearing the easy way (went under and shook my driveshaft) I also staightened my control arms (stupid TeraFlex ball head lock nut always comes loose). I looked at everything and couldn't find any other problems. I am thinking it's more of a driveshaft problem now, I have a 4" lift and stock shafts, I'm about to get a Denny's 1310 shaft front and rear custom built. If y'all have any other ideas of what it might be, post them up!

any update?

GPV 02-17-2011 06:44 AM

Did I miss that you checked the oil level in the diff?

The time now is 02:59 PM.