Where to store the gun? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to store the gun?

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #31
jslaton

This has been a helpful thread. I had the same question as the OP.

It seems that the Tuffy box is the best of limited choices, but wouldn't any criminal with a wrench be able to steal the whole box?

jslaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #32
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

I find the compartment in the back as good a place as any. I would only store it there if I had to go somewhere that infringes on my 2nd amendment right, so it would be back there as little time as possible. I would put it there, do my business as quickly as possible, and get out of there, as criminals would KNOW that everyone in that place is disarmed, making it a Criminal-Safe Zone - safe for criminals to do their deeds...
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #33
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I find the compartment in the back as good a place as any. I would only store it there if I had to go somewhere that infringes on my 2nd amendment right, so it would be back there as little time as possible. I would put it there, do my business as quickly as possible, and get out of there, as criminals would KNOW that everyone in that place is disarmed, making it a Criminal-Safe Zone - safe for criminals to do their deeds...
My though on that is how you are going to get your weapon to the lock box in the back???

Are you going to park in the parking lot, get out, open the back, remove your weapon, lock it up and walk away

While I don't like it, the under the front seat lock box may be the best option here as you can access it would out leaving your seat and out of view of the public.

In other words you are not telling everyone watching you just put something of value in the back and walked off.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #34
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
In other words you are not telling everyone watching you just put something of value in the back and walked off.
Good point.
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #35
RRdugan
2007 JK Wrangler 

I keep mine on me when in the Jeep, if i have to store it in the jeep, i put it in a lock box, that secures in the rear small tub storage area, underneath the cargo mat. If it is in a lock box, underneath your seat it is still to far away to be effective. I lock it in the storage tub because most times if people are going to jack your stuff out of the car when your not in it the average joe theif is not going to go back and lift up the cargo matt, to look for a tuffy box. I also have to agree if someone breaks into your jeep and sees a tuffy box under the seat that is what they are gonna take.
RRdugan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #36
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

I installed the tuffy underseat concealed carry drawer and I think its really the best option for my situation. My Glock 19 is only a slide away and accessible without drawing attention to myself (I decided against carrying my Kimber for several reasons, most notably, in the extremely unlikely situation that a thief did break in and stole the whole compartment, hes only getting a $600 gun vs. one that cost over twice that... and having 15 rounds plus 1 in the chamber is a big plus too, compared to 7 +1 in the kimber. And I gotta admit that critical defense 9mm ammo packs just about as much stopping power as the .45 ("thats debatable!" yes I know).

But when the zombie apocalypse occurs and one goes for my jeep, I will have to bring out the big guns...

Unread 06-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #37
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
While I don't like it, the under the front seat lock box may be the best option here as you can access it would out leaving your seat and out of view of the public.

Based on this excellent point, I ordered my Tuffy under seat slide out box and will be installing it tomorrow, and stuffing a Glock 19 in it.
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #38
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Tuffy center console if I absolutely have to secure it when I go in someplace and can't carry it. Carry is the most secure, but not always feasible.

When I am carrying, it sort of depends on the piece I have. I typically IWB a 1911, but that doesn't ride well, so if it's going to be a longer drive, I sewed a holster into the seat. Cheap $10, and I can put it back in my IWB holster while I'm still sitting before I get out. I guess its also a quicker draw if I'm getting car-jacked from the drivers side and I'm leaning away while drawing, but I don't live in an action movie, so I actually only did it for comfort.

If I just have the LCR, it stays in my pocket holster.

When I am wheeling, I carry a GP100 in a shoulder holster.

Oh, and I also can keep up to 3 rifles and shotguns in a behind the seat holder when mobile and plan to have them out while in the woods. Otherwise, they stay in a locked case to and from a range, and I don't leave them them in the Jeep.

My is that, espcially with my ham feet and boots, the under seat drawer looks like I would still have to get out to open it and stash anything. Much easier to just put the pistol in the middle and lock it. The center console also give a padded armrest.
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #39
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Based on this excellent point, I ordered my Tuffy under seat slide out box and will be installing it tomorrow, and stuffing a Glock 19 in it.
It actually came in today. This box is very well made and I highly recommend it.

As for removing the seat bolts, I have one word for you: LEVERAGE.
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kberan View Post
I want to find a place that I can lock the gun without worrying about its security, but also be accessible if the time comes.
Ever consider a holster? Cops seem to like them.
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #41
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7guy View Post
Ever consider a holster? Cops seem to like them.
Yeah, well, if I didn't have to disarm myself in so many places in the name of "safety" that would work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.