Where to store the gun? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to store the gun?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #16
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

armpit........................

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

get something tuffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Tuffy center console to keep my XD45 4" when I'm out and don't need to carry it. If I'm driving, I keep it wedged between the seat and the console, right behind the seat belt catch (in an Uncle Mike holster). That keeps it right at my hip, and almost totally out of sight
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is where you need to store your gun. It works. It puts the weapon where you need it, and no one will steal it out of your jeep.

$80 bucks and about a 9 day wait. Just make sure you have a good belt to hold up your pants. I use wilderness belts.

Wilderness Belt

IWB Holsters

All the nice strong lock box things just tell bad gays you have somthing worth stealing in there. 2 minutes and a crowbar and the box and everything in it is gone.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
lang1864
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjump136 View Post
Police officers leave shotties and ARs in their cruisers. If you enter a federal building or a school then you BETTER take that thing off your hip and leave it in the car. Ever go to the post office?
The case about the police officers leaving shotguns and ARs in their cruisers. Come on. Who the hell is going to break into a cop car to get that. Plus those shotguns are locked in there.

Anyways its all just opinions and mine is not to leave it in the car. Just me.

1991 YJ Black
lang1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #21
Heywoz

-Personally, as an LEO and instructor, it should be on you. I have been on too many car wrecks where crap is strewn all over the place. If it is tucked between the seat and center console, that will be one more piece of 'trash' that get's thrown all across the road. I don't know about you, but I don't trust the gawkers to kindly return my piece to me.
-Yes, police keep guns in our vehicles. They are also locked. They are also, almost always, brought in to the house at night.
-The average gun fight starts and is over in 3-7 seconds. If you think that is enough time to walk to the back of your vehicle, open a drawer, load your weapon, and get in the fight, please include me in your will.
-I have several tuffy boxes. They are tough and I believe that they would take someone some time to get into. Most thief's are looking for the quick smash and grab and these boxes are not it.

By having the fire arm on you,in the same place, at all times, and with practice (something most CCW permitee's fail at), you can defend yourself quickly, you will always know where the weapon is, and it will be safe and secure.
Heywoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #22
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Part of the responsibity of having a CCW is to know that your weapon is secure and not just left in a glove box. When you go into a place that doesn't allow sidearms then it is your job to secure it using reasonable care to do so.

If you are concerned that you need the gun to be quickly available then you might consider being someplace else. Even though here in AZ it is okay for anyone to carry visable I only carry when wheelin' the desert near the border and then the Sig is in a holster that is clipped to the outside of the door pocket

Personly I use the Tuffy under seat for several items that I don't wish to loose and yes I do have a CCW.
mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #23
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all of the help, I'm going to buy the tuffy underseat compartment, I guess I can get used to locking it and unlocking it every time I get in and out of the jeep. My problem is that my job won't allow me to carry in the building, so I have to leave my pistol in the jeep while working. When I was at school in MD, there was NOO chance I could have had a gun in the car, but now that I'm back for good in a red state, I don't like driving any of our cars without either my glock19 or my kimber ultra. I have found that my glock's IWB holster fits well in the center console and I can access it quickly, but I am just looking for something a little safer, tuffy seems to be the best bet.
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedboxer View Post
when I'm driving i wedge mine in next to the park brake handle. I keep it in a crossbreed supertuck and it seems to stay put. As far as secure storage goes I'm in the same boat as you
+1,I use an MTAC which is a IWB under my t-shirt.Problem solved.
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjump136 View Post
I disagree. Farmers and ranchers keep long guns in their trucks. Police officers leave shotties and ARs in their cruisers. If you enter a federal building or a school then you BETTER take that thing off your hip and leave it in the car. What I'm saying is - it happens all the time. As long as you have a hard top and the doors locked I think your liability is nill (follow applicable state laws of course...). A tuffy box under the seat may make some people feel better, but a criminal could deal with that in a few seconds with a crowbar. If you have a soft top (or no top) and the "strong" box is there to keep kids out or due to state law it might make sense. From a liability perspective I think the glove box works just as well...either can be broken in to with minimal effort, but they both "lock."

The mere presence of a tuffy says "Hey, criminals, I keep a gun under the seat or in the center console." My glove box looks pretty non-descript and probably makes me less of a target in the first place. Not that I often leave a gun in the car, but there ARE times when it is a must. Ever go to the post office?
The only truly safe place for a gun is on your hip! You know if you are going to the fed bldg/school before you leave the house, so, leave it at home, or put it in the provided safes at the entrance. If you are that concerned about traveling with a weapon in your vehicle, then don't bring one. Simple as that.

Most farmers and ranchers I know are on their private property and these CCW laws do not apply to them. And most farmers and ranchers I know utilize long guns of some sort. For Jeepers and their daily drivers, this is another issue and the one the OP is asking about.

Yes, cops carry their weapons in their mounted steel weapons' carriers. These are made specifically for a shotty, or shorty. They are locked and secured. Most departments I know of require the officer/deputy to remove their guns while parked at home while 'off-duty'. 'Most'

The OP asked what to do with their concealed carry weapon? CARRY IT! or don't if you are not secure with it. Practice, practice, practice from drawing from your hip/cross-draw/chest rig or however you conceal your weapon. For the one and only time you need to draw your weapon under stress, you may lose your chance if the attacker is faster than you, or ready for action.

Don't be a sheep, but a sheep dog! For the wolves are out there.

This of course, is just my opinion and your mileage may vary. As in life, knowledge is one thing, opinions are another. Take it for whatever you want, or don't take it at all. Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things now does it? And grow some thicker skin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
sgt jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lang1864 View Post
The case about the police officers leaving shotguns and ARs in their cruisers. Come on. Who the hell is going to break into a cop car to get that. Plus those shotguns are locked in there.

Anyways its all just opinions and mine is not to leave it in the car. Just me.

Cops and cop cars are specifically targeted by gangs in the more populated cities across the US. And that is a fact. Yes, to the civil minded Americans that don't run around committing crimes and care about the fellow American, this would seem like an instant jail sentence. But there are those out there that could care less that your feelings are hurt, and wouldn't even blink an eye when they kill someone for their Jeep at a red-light. Car jackings in a softtop are a bad thing, imo......so, always be ready. Scan your surroundings when approaching that red light. These people will stand out as they are watching you and the car next to you approach that red light together. Which one will he target? The one with the person that has the thousand yard stare, just waiting to get on the interstate, and back home to take off the penny loafers and kick up the feet on the Lazyboy. The one daydreaming and not looking around like he is ready for anything.

Don't be a victim.

edit: hahaha. wow, was that a rant or what?

This of course, is just my opinion and your mileage may vary. As in life, knowledge is one thing, opinions are another. Take it for whatever you want, or don't take it at all. Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things now does it? And grow some thicker skin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #27
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kberan View Post
Thanks guys for all of the help, I'm going to buy the tuffy underseat compartment, I guess I can get used to locking it and unlocking it every time I get in and out of the jeep. My problem is that my job won't allow me to carry in the building, so I have to leave my pistol in the jeep while working. When I was at school in MD, there was NOO chance I could have had a gun in the car, but now that I'm back for good in a red state, I don't like driving any of our cars without either my glock19 or my kimber ultra. I have found that my glock's IWB holster fits well in the center console and I can access it quickly, but I am just looking for something a little safer, tuffy seems to be the best bet.

I would purchase the Tuffy box and be vigilant when placing it in there at your work. Look around when taking it off and bending over to do this. And at the end of the day, look around and be vigilant when putting it back on. You don't want to advertise you are securing something in there to anyone. Hardtop or not. Especially a weapon.

Are there posted signs saying 'No Weapons' or is it common knowledge you cannot bring a weapon in there? Would your boss be opposed to using a safe of sorts in the office? Maybe there are other co-workers that carry as well and you could co-purchase a safe.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
gtstricky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just hold mine. I get some wierd looks when I am turning corners and using two hands, one holding the glock. It is a little awkward but you get use to it.

Here are a couple of other things you could try.

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/] [COLOR="Yellow"]TJ Boot Camp Threads[/COLOR][/url]

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/winch-basics-1004426/] [COLOR="Yellow"]Winch Basics[/COLOR][/url]

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lift-tire-questions-new-jeep-owner-1004989/] [COLOR="Yellow"]Lift Basics[/COLOR][/url]
gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #29
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstricky View Post
I just hold mine. I get some wierd looks when I am turning corners and using two hands, one holding the glock. It is a little awkward but you get use to it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Rubikon06
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstricky View Post

I dunno about this, what happens if you need to use the horn?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.