Where to store the gun? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to store the gun?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Where to store the gun?

For my fellow Jeepers with their concealed carry...

The jeep sucks for carrying a gun, I've come to that conclusion. The locks on both the center console and glovebox are too easily broken into for me to consider leaving a gun in the car when I'm not in it and for when I'm driving, I don't want to dedicate the center console to only my gun compartment because I need the storage for the rest of the crap I have in the console. I know most people are protective of this information and wouldn't dare tell a soul where they keep their guns and all that and with good reason, but I was wondering how others solved their gun toting dilemma in the Jeep.

I know that their are many upgradable center consoles, gloveboxes, and underseat storage compartments, but I wonder how accessible my kimber would be in a time of need if it was locked under my seat. Does anyone use the wet okole seat covers with built in gun tote? I know that its not a safe and secure place to store a gun while outside of the vehicle but while in the car, this could be a reliable and easily accessible method of carry.

I want to find a place that I can lock the gun without worrying about its security, but also be accessible if the time comes. I think a push-button number combination would serve well, but I have yet to come across one, has anyone else?

Unread 05-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here you go:
JK Tuffy Conceal Carry Underseat Security Drawer for Jeep Wrangler, JK
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Rubikon06
2014 JK Wrangler 

I keep mine in a Tuffy drawer under my seat. I currently just have the standard key version, but they have a three button combo lock that might suit your needs. I have thought about getting that three button lock for the same reason you mention about ease of accessibility, but I have been too lazy. I'd be curious to hear from others on their solutions...

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-283-0...ck-system.aspx
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

when I'm driving i wedge mine in next to the park brake handle. I keep it in a crossbreed supertuck and it seems to stay put. As far as secure storage goes I'm in the same boat as you
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Evil_Ed
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK Security Drawer for Jeep Wrangler, JK 07

It'll fit a short para FAL easily. A fixed stock FAL won't fit in unfortunatly. AR carbines will fit with no problem. Also handy for storing some ammo cans full of supplies.

It's "mostly" weatherproof; if you have the roof off and get stuck in a downpour it won't fill with water. It's not exactily sealed tight but it should be fine for most environments.

It locks up well, and with the rear gate locked, no one's getting in to it at all. I don't bother leaving anything in/near the front seats; it's not legal everywhere and let's be honest - if you don't see the problem coming with enough time for you to stop, get out, and get something out of the back...that's real situational awareness fail on the driver's part. Depending on what you stick in the drawer you should be good to go in all 50 states without a worry, too.

Edited to add - I'm usually carrying anyway; what I keep in the trunk is for those social events where .45 just won't be enough
Evil_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I utilize the center council. I have a fobus roto holster that I bolted to the inside of it. I drive through some really nasty neighborhoods sometimes and I like to have it accessible should I need it. Just pop open the lid and there it is, easier to draw than a hip holster in a vehicle.

As for it being stollen, it's very rarely left in the jeep. I tend not to patronize businesses that don't allow carry. Besides, it doesn't do any good left in the car if I'm inside a store.
tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
hansonian
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at the under seat Security Drawer for awhile. At the moment it's either on me or not in the Jeep. If I know I'm heading somewhere I can't carry I leave it at home.
1969 CJ5 - Ran into the ground and left for dead
hansonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

How fast do you really need to access to it?

Most people like the tuffy console. Personally, I don't keep guns in my vehicles unless I am going to a shooting range or something where I have intention on shooting.
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Only place in the standard JK is the storage under the rear tailgate. If you lock the JK with the remote then there is noway that the tailgate can be unlocked. If you test this, make sure that you wait 15 - 20 seconds before trying as it takes that long to set.

Doesn't help if you want quick access while driving but it is as secure a place as any to lock when you leace the JK even with top down.
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

If I'm driving, in my messenger bag, and then when I get out I take it with me in a IWB holster. If I must leave it in the Jeep, I'v got a lockbox sable locked to the seat frame.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
skyjump136
2010 JK Wrangler 

I keep mine on my body unless I'm actually sitting in the Jeep. In that case I put it in the gun tote that is intigrated in to the front of my Wet Okole seat cover.

If I had to leave it in the car I think I'd lock the doors (I have the hard top) and not worry too much about it.
skyjump136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #12
lang1864
2010 JK Wrangler 

On my hip. I would never leave my weapon in my jeep. If im sitting in my i still keep it on my hip. Leaving a weapon in your car is in my opinion just bad.
lang1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
skyjump136
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lang1864 View Post
On my hip. I would never leave my weapon in my jeep. If im sitting in my i still keep it on my hip. Leaving a weapon in your car is in my opinion just bad.
I disagree. Farmers and ranchers keep long guns in their trucks. Police officers leave shotties and ARs in their cruisers. If you enter a federal building or a school then you BETTER take that thing off your hip and leave it in the car. What I'm saying is - it happens all the time. As long as you have a hard top and the doors locked I think your liability is nill (follow applicable state laws of course...). A tuffy box under the seat may make some people feel better, but a criminal could deal with that in a few seconds with a crowbar. If you have a soft top (or no top) and the "strong" box is there to keep kids out or due to state law it might make sense. From a liability perspective I think the glove box works just as well...either can be broken in to with minimal effort, but they both "lock."

The mere presence of a tuffy says "Hey, criminals, I keep a gun under the seat or in the center console." My glove box looks pretty non-descript and probably makes me less of a target in the first place. Not that I often leave a gun in the car, but there ARE times when it is a must. Ever go to the post office?
skyjump136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree, JKs suck for secure storage, esp for high-value items. I do not have CCW, but it is not needed in SC to have the weapon in the car. this is just an idea, and while not as secure, it also does not draw attention like a box and retains the access.... mount a pushbutton holster (Fiocchi or Blackhawk or something) under the seat and out of direct view.

note: in SC, las I heard, this is in the legislature now, and I have not heard a result, but as far as I know, we cannot have a gun under the seat, period. has to be out of sight, console, glovebox, trunk... can be locked and ****ed, and within reach, but out of sight, not on seat or under, Tuffy box is only option, 'cept maybe the seat cover someone mentioned with a built in pocket (Wet Okole??)
Unread 05-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

ok, tht didn't come out right, I dont think

now, you cannot store a gun under the seat, has to be in center console or something.

there is a bill in the state legislature to allow that, but i do not know if it passed or not yet

(is that better?)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.