Where to mount off-road lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to mount off-road lights?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Alecy14
2010 JK Wrangler 

Where to mount off-road lights?

I want to mount some KC 100w daylighters on my 2010 JKU Sahara that will be used for offroading and night driving, but I don't know how. I was going to mount them on the front stock bumper but then people on the forums said that there is risk of blocking airflow. Is this a real danger? I didn't really like the look of any of the light bars for the bumper either, and I also heard about problems with the brackets on quadratec being flimsy and not strong enough to hold the weight.

So then I started looking at windshield mounts but I am now worried about the glare and obstruction it will create while in use.

What people are saying on the forums does not inspire confidence in either option. This is my first mod so I want it done right and to look good. What should I do?

Alecy14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Good question. Stock bumper doesn't have many provisions for mounting such animals!

As far as blocking the radiator/overheating - personally, I have seen/heard people running large objects in front of their radiator - particularly the Warn Powerplant winch, large lights and transmission coolers and I haven't heard about anybody having any issues. However, warmer climates may vary!

Windshield mounts are a good option - there are several options out there that toss the lights out to the side of the window - and this would probably be the easiest install considering you are running a stock bumper.

As for the stock bumper, I don't know how you would hard-mount the lights to the bumper without some sort of light bar. Perhaps fabricate some sort of reinforcing plates bolted from the top-to-the bottom, sandwiching the plastic bumpertop and a hole for the lights? Dunno. These types of lights are much easier to set up on an aftermarket bumper....

Perhaps cruising Quadratec or other parts sites for light mounts.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Just checked out quadratec, go to their website and search for keyword: "light mount"

Lots of solutions for stock bumpers, they have a bracket mount that goes on the front bumper and just to the sides of the radiator for $70. Could be right up your alley!
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Alecy14
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis View Post
Just checked out quadratec, go to their website and search for keyword: "light mount"

Lots of solutions for stock bumpers, they have a bracket mount that goes on the front bumper and just to the sides of the radiator for $70. Could be right up your alley!
Those were the brackets that I were talking about. There was one thread on the forums that said they weren't sturdy enough. I know most people that come to forums and review a product are mostly people with problems and you don't really hear about the people who are satisfied, but I just want to make sure it's a good product.
Alecy14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You could probably beef them up a bit if you were inclined to do so, or if you had a buddy who could do it.
Unread 07-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I put my KC 130 on the windshield that seemed to be the best place for long range.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

I went with the standard spots. Just came back from a 1000 mile trip and they were perfect the few times I needed them.
wtrailer.jpg  
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
JaredL

I did the windsheild mount. no issues so far.
JaredL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the windshield mounts as well - no issues at night, and I'm less likely to have issues pushing through branches, etc on the trails.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Don't worry about airflow. Worry about wiring it right.

Mine didn't block airflow...

Before I got the bumper I just drilled holes in the stock bumper and mounted the lights using some good washers.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
slider_68
2011 JK Wrangler 

I ran the q-tech brackets for awhile before I swapped bumpers and had no issues with them. They are more than solid enough for a set of lights.
slider_68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
BrettWithjack
2011 JK Wrangler 

Anybody know some good windshield brackets that don't interfere with the antenna? I've got the kc slims n I really don't feel like messing up the antenna :/
BrettWithjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jk , kc , light , mount , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.