where to find factory jeep paint? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

where to find factory jeep paint?

I am looking for sunburst orange pearl paint.

Where can I find it? I want to paint a trailer.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Any body shop should be able to mix some up for you. That's what I did with my trailer. What kind of trailer are you painting?

ps. I should have info for you on the winch today.

"Tightening the nut behind the wheel is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of any vehicle."

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #3 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd try an automotive paint store. There's one in every city almost. How about the web? You could search by city, start or region. Call a local body shop and ask where they buy paint for Chrysler cars.

-Rick
07 Sahara Unlimited

post #4 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
Any body shop should be able to mix some up for you. That's what I did with my trailer. What kind of trailer are you painting?

ps. I should have info for you on the winch today.
thanks a lot

here is a crummy picture of the trailer...

I found it for pretty cheap on craigslist. I am picking it up this weekend. I will build it up and make it into my own "offroad" trailer

-Matt

post #5 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
N2rock

2007 JK Wrangler 

Buddy of mine has one of those trailers

Rolling on 35" tires too

for details and info on our JK's, check out

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 PM
N2rock

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sunburst Orange Pearl: http://www.expresspaint.com/productc...&idCategory=22

for details and info on our JK's, check out

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've got a ton of plans for mine to make it into an offroad camp trailer. Propane, power, lights, hot water heater, stove, tent, etc. Got to finish up the TJ build and save up a few bucks and I'll get going on it. I'll watch your build closely! Good luck man.

"Tightening the nut behind the wheel is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of any vehicle."

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #8 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

thansk

anyone have an idea how much paint I would need for a trailer this size?

Hopefully mine will be loaded up with all the stuff you listed bricktop. It would be a fun trailer to take camping

-Matt

post #9 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
neXgen
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
I am looking for sunburst orange pearl paint.

Where can I find it? I want to paint a trailer.
Any stealership should be to match your color identical as long as you have the paint code. They can pull it from your VIN or it could be on the sticker on the side of the drivers door.
Nice trailer.

Good Luck

'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3" Teraflex Suspension Lift w/Flex Arms,Teraflex Steering Stabilizer
post #10 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
ncb

In the past I used Dupont Chromabase. It's a base coat clear coat. Most shops that sell it have a scanner. If the Jeep is clean they can scan it and match it perfectly.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
jodpel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If those are truly pearl paint jobs, the pearl is in the clear coat and you buy that seperately. Lay down primer/sealer then base. First coat of clear has pearl in it and you need at least two more coats of regular clear to protect it.

It may not be a real pearl coat, though. I only painted pearl once, but it sure was purdy.

2008 Detonator Yellow Unlimited Rubicon -- Daystar upper dash -- Bestop Flexatrunk -- Pioneer FH-P800BT -- Next mod = XHD Modular front bumper
post #12 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

good to know. I will ask around at paint shops and see what I can find...

-Matt

post #13 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
ncb

I doubt it's pearl. Most likely metallic. Honda calls a lot of their colors pearl too.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 PM
jodpel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I doubt it's pearl. Most likely metallic. Honda calls a lot of their colors pearl too.
That's good to know. I have often wondered if those are truly pearl paint jobs. I paid a lot of money for a tiny jar of gold pearl for that pearl job I did that time. I was having a hard time believing the factory was dropping that kind of cash on stock paint jobs.

Here is a fun fact for you guys. I am the process control programmer for the atomizer that makes most of the aluminum flake used in that shiny paint on all your jeeps! If you have a silver jeep, most of the pigment in it came from the aluminum atomizer I have worked at for the last ten years. Also, ALL of the aluminum powder in the solid rocket boosters on a space shuttle come from my plant. It is my job, (and my computers) to keep fire from shooting out of the top of the plant. Quite a challenge since the product happens to be rocket fuel or car flake depending on how you atomize it. It's a lot of fun as long as long as my code doesn't launch a piece of the atomizer a mile down the road.

2008 Detonator Yellow Unlimited Rubicon -- Daystar upper dash -- Bestop Flexatrunk -- Pioneer FH-P800BT -- Next mod = XHD Modular front bumper
post #15 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 PM
xxxflhrci

As said before, any auto paint supply store can mix you up a match either by scanning your Jeep or using the code off of your Jeep. For something like an off-road trailer, I would simply get a single stage budget paint like Omni and forget a base coat/clear coat job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.