Where to begin - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to begin

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I need your job.

5K could prob get you a decent lift (proper) and a set of wheels and tires.

Next I would focus on fenders and bumpers. Accessories such as lights, winch and maybe some dif covers.

After that, cage netting. Snorkel etc...

OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
rayder1

Sounds like you're investing in looks and image. Definitely not a wheeler, unless you are running around in mud pits.

Enjoy your project. It will serve the same purpose as slamming a pickup truck....doesn't haul anything but the hydraulics make it look decent.
I like my vehicles to be useful.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you actually end up doing this, I would say buy in stages and build at one time. At the very least this will save some on labor.

Also, no disrespect intended, but some mechanical skill isn't going to get you very far on a project such as this. A proper lift kit could (more than likely will) require cutting pieces of the stock suspension mounts out of the way, properly locating new components, welding new components in place, etc.. There are so many aspects of a project of this size that are not home garage friendly that I believe you will better off having the work done at a shop.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1
Sounds like you're investing in looks and image. Definitely not a wheeler, unless you are running around in mud pits.

Enjoy your project. It will serve the same purpose as slamming a pickup truck....doesn't haul anything but the hydraulics make it look decent.
I like my vehicles to be useful.
I understand what you're saying. But what's useful to you and useful to him are two different things. i don't understand why people cut up others for what they do to there vehicles. It's there money and what they want.

I do stuff to mine and will have my jeep slightly modded. But till she's payed for (3 years left) I'm not going to wheel hard to the point of causing repair after repair. And $1000's in costs.

If this guy wants to put $10000 in mods and not ruin his vehicle that's a smart move considering it for a business.
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

Joe - I dont want a jeep that I have to trailer. The lift it has now is 3in but dont know what kind. I bought it from a used dealership and they have no records. I went down to talk to 4 Wheel Parts store. I told them what I was trying to do and they gave me a list. They suggested a Rubicon Express lift with 513 gears. Not sure if thats what I need to do.

Rayder1 - I appreciate the advise. I have a working truck. I put a wrap to promote the business and landed two huge accounts, thus given me the oppurtunity fund my jeep project. (enclosed pic of my old truck)

Rtone 1583 - No disrespect taken. Makes sense on labor.

I appreciate all the advise guys. I really do.
I need to have a plan of atttack and your input is dearly noted as I try and figure this process out.

Thanks Again!
allsports-truck.jpg  
allsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Wavedatya! I have big plans that will pay off once this project is complete. Working on a deal that will allow me to drive the AllSports Wrangler on to the high school football game and have the AllSports girls launch tshirts into the crowd. Where I live there are two major rival high schoool teams that draw in a ton of business for the community of Rockwall. There is a huge taligaitng party with tons of publicity coverage on local news. Its unbelievable how much money is spent on sports gear and equipment. This project, in the long run will bring the company more business and hope to keep the competition on their toes! : )
allsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ahhhhh. The old shirt launch. Reminds me of when ned Flanders wife died . So sad.
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsports View Post
Joe - I dont want a jeep that I have to trailer. The lift it has now is 3in but dont know what kind. I bought it from a used dealership and they have no records. I went down to talk to 4 Wheel Parts store. I told them what I was trying to do and they gave me a list. They suggested a Rubicon Express lift with 513 gears. Not sure if thats what I need to do...
Yeah, I agree with you on the trailering aspect.

I don't know what the minimum lift you “need” with 40s. Part of the issue is that you have to adjust things for the flex if you’re wheeling. If you plan to only stay on the street then you could get away with less of a lift. Another option if you go with a smaller lift is to get/adjust your fenders and wheel wells so the opening will fit the tires and the tires won’t rub/hit the fenders. I've read where some are running 40s with just a 3.5" lift - with trimming of the fenders, flat fenders, maybe a small body lift, and appropriate bump stops. I guess it also depends on the look you are trying to achieve.

I have 5.38s with my 35s - they've worked well for me.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #24
rayder1

Allsports:

You're right. I wasn't getting it. I used to wheel my bone stock (at the time) 87 wrangler with some friends who had everything from stock to monster-truck type builds. After un-rolling some of the top-heavy rigs who got into stuff they couldn't get out of, I became cynical about high lift, crazy tire mods.
It's your baby to enjoy. You're doing it for business and its your business, not mine to judge.
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Go get a 4.5" lift make sure its complete with shocks, control arms, brake extensions, ect. New drive shafts, get some flat fenders, trim your pinch seams, beef up steering and regear to 5.38. If you take it offroad expect to break something, but for football games and tailgates you should be good. As long as you dont try to drag race it the axles should be fine. Everyone freaks out when they see "mall crawler", 40s look boss

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
Spike6901

There are 5.5 and 6" lifts out there by RE, Rough Country and Rock Krawler...probalby looking in the $4k - $5k range.

My buddy has an 8" on an XJ with 37's and damn does it look wicked.

Why not? If you aren't worried about breaking it offroad then your choices open up.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
rayder1

Like I was alluding to earlier....why build it up such if you're going to know you'll break it? I think his intent was sort of a "mall crawler".

My old one I built up for wheeling and didn't go crazy on the mods. I never broke a single suspension or drive line component. Body could have looked better.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.