Where to begin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Where to begin

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

Where to begin

I have a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon. 3.6L auto. I purchased used with 7k. It's my very first Jeep. Very excited to build on my own but need help. I have some mechanical skills and going to try and attempt to do most of the work on my own. It has a lift now, not sure what kind or size. I want to put 40's on it and not sure where to begin. I need to do it stages but I don't have a designated plan. From what I've read I need to changes the gears front and rear, reprogram, and need lift kit with long arm. Bigger rotors and brakes? I'm not sure where to begin. Can anyone with this please help? Do I purchase tires and wheels. Save money. Purchase lift kit. Save money. Purchase gears, rotors, brakes, and any other items. Save money then build? Or build as I go? Any help would be very much appreciated!

image-2791106725.jpg   image-1688634817.jpg  
allsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why do you want 40s?

I would suggest you wheel the jeep as is and get some experience. From there you will see what you want and need as far as mods go.
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jay-P. though I plan to take it on off road and play with it near some trails in my area, I plan on using it to promote my business at events such as high school football games and select baseball. Plus I like the way the 40's look and don't see that often in my area. : )
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ahhhh, time to open the wallet, and perhaps the mind....think we.
Read up on a 3.5 to 4.5 inch lift requirements ($$$$) 40 tires and rims ($$$$)
and then ask for advice...there is a lot of info if you use the search function.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

40"s lift jeep on a rack. Remove about everthing; axles assemblies, suspension, stearing. replace it all with one tons. it will be a horrible DD. nothing under the jeep will be able to take the pain 40"s. The list of what is needed and so long that if you have to ask.......... about what that jeep cost to buy it will cost to do this right. FEW people run 40"s on the street, there is a reason. all the clubs I am in, the people I know, ALL trailer Jeeps on 40"s to and from the trails.

Sounds like you want a mall crawler on 40"s. there is no cheep fast way to do this. The rims need to match a one ton set up most are full width... you have alot to study.
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

That jeep looks perfectly fine as it is. All this talk about wanting 40s when it's never going to leave pavement seems like a bunch of nonsense. You're business is gonna go bankrupt over all the jeep work and bam you've lost your advertisement. Might as well wheel the piss out of it at that point
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok! Got it! Tons of money and have no sense! I'm in! Thanks for all the advise and yes I have lots to study. Will start with wheels and rims and search for more forums on 40's and lifts. Stay tuned. I will publish a page on our website to those who want to follow this crazy, money pit, nonsense, project. Thanks again and glad to be part of this CrAzY family of JK Owners! Have a safe Memorial Day!
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsports View Post
Plus I like the way the 40's look and don't see that often in my area. : )
Everyone's driving around on 37s in your area?

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

There's a few. I just want to look and be different. Maybe a wrap? Don't know yet. Just trying to get some insight!
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

why start with the wheels? Unless this is a mall crawler that will never see any offroad use. you need to be looking for a d60 upfront. and60 or 14 bolt rear. then the rims are not 5x5. you will need at least hydro assisted steering MOST 40"s go full hydro, but there again that is not street legal and we are back to a trailer again.

I see how this is going. 1 you are a troll or maybe you are not and just want someone to say," ya man just bolt on 40"s and get a big a$$ Rough country lift and wheel that baby....into the malls.

Im done......
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm guessing this project jeep will be $20000 plus.

I priced out moderate lift, bumpers, gears, tires, snorkel and came in close to $10000. That was being frugal. I could drop $20000 easy but reality sets in quick.

If this is a "business" marketing tactic maybe a tax write-off?

If you want to donate some stuff my way ill gladly put some of your stickers on my jeep
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Writing off 20k from your taxes will save you about 1200, probably. Better off buying lottery tickets.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...I plan on using it to promote my business at events such as high school football games and select baseball. Plus I like the way the 40's look and don't see that often in my area. : )
Hey, I personally think that's one of the best reasons to get 40s. Most of the Jeeps I've seen like that are built to promote products.

You have to decide if you also want to wheel it. If you're just going to be driving it on the road for events to promote your business then you won't have to do as much to it. If you want to wheel it then you can easily break all kinds of things when you have 40s and stock axles. Also if you wheel it then you can easily scrape up the sides from tree branches and weeds and stuff, which may not go with your advertising.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
allsports
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wavedatya. Thanks! It's roughly what I figured just by looking around. I'll keep your sticker in mind : )

Godholio. Was actually thinking of doing that if the lottery got into the billions!

Joe. Most of the events I'll be attending are around my community. I have budgeted 25K for advertising for the next two years. I have 5k now and will have another 5K in 3 months. Question is this something I can do in stages?
Thank!
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...Joe. Most of the events I'll be attending are around my community. I have budgeted 25K for advertising for the next two years. I have 5k now and will have another 5K in 3 months. Question is this something I can do in stages?
You really need to decide if itís just for show (you won't be wheeling it). If it's just for show then you won't have to replace your axles, and you can start modding it. How big is the current lift?

If you're going to wheel it then you can still do it in stages, but a lot of the expensive stuff - the axles - won't show any different than the stock axles (they wonít raise the Jeep).

Here's a link to a sometimes controversial guy that builds "big and showy" Jeeps that you can also take off-road - may give you some ideas: http://www.cop4x4.com/vehicles.shtml
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.