Wheel spacers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel spacers

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #31
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul
Why not just do it the right way and go with a wheel that will give you the backspacing you want. The wheels don't have to be checked at specific intervals to prevent failure. Call it peace of mind and safety for you, your loved ones and the family headed toward you in the other lane.
You act like spacers are dangerous. If you instal them right the first time you shouldn't have to check them outside of the sake of curiosity

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #32
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul View Post
Why not just do it the right way and go with a wheel that will give you the backspacing you want. The wheels don't have to be checked at specific intervals to prevent failure. Call it peace of mind and safety for you, your loved ones and the family headed toward you in the other lane.
I don['t understand your reply. Whether you change the wheels, or add spacers, the result is the same, you still have more bearing wear, and you DO have to check your wheels periodically... as much as you do spacers anyway... your comment makes no sense... i don't get it
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #33
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
You act like spacers are dangerous. If you instal them right the first time you shouldn't have to check them outside of the sake of curiosity

If you have the option, the correct wheels is by far the better option.
Why make it more complicated if you don't have to?
The spacers will run you as much as a new proper set of wheels.

No muss, no fuss, no worries about tire shops not wanting to touch your jeep.

Just easier.
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post

Just easier.
What kind of spacers are you looking at? You can get a full set (4) of spiders for 200$ Unless you're looking at steel rims, i have yet to come across any (that i like atleast) for under 130$ a piece

You rotate your own tires right? Everytime you rotate your tires you should take the extra 5 minutes to check the spacers.. Not that hard..
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #35
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043

Just easier.
You can find a new set of 5 aluminum wheels for less than $198? That's for a set of 4 brand new spacers from spidertrax, which are the best you can buy.

I'm not saying its the better option, but there are a lot of scenarios where there isn't another option.

Did you know that dually pickups ship from the factory with bolt on front wheel spacers? A shop that won't touch the vehicle because of spacers is a shop full of idiots

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #36
garyintexas

spacers

As a few people have mentioned it places unecessaryand additional load on the bearings. Shop for wheels with the right back space and you'll be fine. I also agree with the poster who mentioned negotiating tight spaces on the trail. It may be that it looks better but what is it you really want? A functional rig or one that looks cool? The choice is yours and you have to live with your decision.
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #37
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyintexas View Post
As a few people have mentioned it places unecessaryand additional load on the bearings. Shop for wheels with the right back space and you'll be fine. I also agree with the poster who mentioned negotiating tight spaces on the trail. It may be that it looks better but what is it you really want? A functional rig or one that looks cool? The choice is yours and you have to live with your decision.
I have yet to figure out how spacers add more stress load to the bearings then the same exact spaced rim wouldnt. Please SOMEONE explain this.
Also are you forgetting that not everyone had 700+$ to spend on 5 aluminum wheels.. You know.. 200$ for spacers are alot cheaper. I'm not coming to the spacers rescue by anymeans, but people who are acting like spacers are gonna make your wheel fall off are to damn lazy to check them. What is another 5 minutes to check the spacers while your rotating your tires? If you're truely in THAT much of a rush you prolly shouldnt have your wheels off to begin with. All it comes down to is basics of making sure your jeep is fine tuned. I mean, if you can't check to see if your spacers are tight or not when you rotate your wheels, what else are you not checking to make sure the bolts are tight on?
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
I have yet to figure out how spacers add more stress load to the bearings then the same exact spaced rim wouldnt. Please SOMEONE explain this.
Also are you forgetting that not everyone had 700+$ to spend on 5 aluminum wheels.. You know.. 200$ for spacers are alot cheaper. I'm not coming to the spacers rescue by anymeans, but people who are acting like spacers are gonna make your wheel fall off are to damn lazy to check them. What is another 5 minutes to check the spacers while your rotating your tires? If you're truely in THAT much of a rush you prolly shouldnt have your wheels off to begin with. All it comes down to is basics of making sure your jeep is fine tuned. I mean, if you can't check to see if your spacers are tight or not when you rotate your wheels, what else are you not checking to make sure the bolts are tight on?
Stress may not be evenly distributed throughout the multiple pieces involved in the spacers (spacer plus two layers of lugs/bolts). Most of it is further out. Hold a dumbbell against your side then hold it at arms length.

Spacers are illegal here, they won't pass the safety inspection so it's all moot to me.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
Huuligan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spacers or equally offset wheel- NO DIFFERENCE in stresses to bearings!! They both will add stress to bearings equally. Simple physics, simple mechanics. If I have $7-800 to spend I'd buy wheels. If I only have $200 I'd buy spacers.

Gary
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #40
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyintexas View Post
You're an idiot. Nothing you have posted your entire time on this site is correct or even makes sense.
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Hold a dumbbell against your side then hold it at arms
You're comparing apples and oranges there bud. A wheel with 3.5" backspacing is 3.5" backspace period. Doesn't matter if the rims 5.5" and you have a 2 inch spacer or if the rims has a backspacing of 4" with only half inch spacer.. The example your using would be comparing a 5.5" backspace vs a 3.5"... So
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

yes it will add more stress compared to a stock rim NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it won't add more stress than an equally back spaced rim. as for saying it has less fuction, when running spacers most run larger tires, without less back spacing you can't fully turn. also having a wider stance would make you less likely to roll. there are very few cases where 3" will decide whether or not you will make it through a trail, and theres no way to know for sure if my low back spacing has saved me from rolling over, but i can tell you that physics is physics, if it helps YOU out, and its a cheaper alternative, WHY NOT? im under my rig checking after every wheeling trip and often in between. and rotate my tires every 4-5k, so theres no issues for me to check them. if it works for you, do it. thats all im saying.
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #43
DECJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You're an idiot. Nothing you have posted your entire time on this site is correct or even makes sense.
I actually agree with you, however, hasn't garyintexas only had one post on JeepForum?
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #44
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post
I actually agree with you, however, hasn't garyintexas only had one post on JeepForum?
I believe that would still count as "posted your entire time on this site" as brutal as it may be

As we've said a few times: it's basic mechanical physics. The leverage applied to your axle with a spacer compared to the equivalent backspaced wheel is no different. The load is still extended the same distance from the axle's solid surface and bearings.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.