Wheel spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel spacers

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Closed Thread
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
tadam
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wheel spacers

Looking to put 1 3/4" Spidertrax wheel spacers on my Call of Duty. Reason being is to get a slightly wider profile look (barely outside the fender flares). It came with BFG mud terrains and I think I'm OK with those tires.

Any downside to the wheel spacers?

Unread 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

faster wear of front end parts.
easier to bend the c"s or tubes(if used hard).
Its a matter of leverage.

once the tires start to stick out it will toss alot of everything everwhere. Im at 3.75 back space, about as wide as you can get. helps off road in off camber. makes it harder to push through some rock areas that are narrow.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
tadam
2012 JK Wrangler 

Any pics?

I'm probably not going to be doing any rock crawling, just two tracking, some mud and snow.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

once the tires start to stick out it will toss alot of everything everwhere. Im at 3.75 back space, about as wide as you can get. helps off road in off camber. makes it harder to push through some rock areas that are narrow.
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

You will be fine with those spacers. I had the 1.5" spacers and never had any problems on or off the road, other than some slight rubbing at full lock. But I was running 37" MTRs on stock wheels. Now I have 3.5" of BS and no problems. Make sure you use the red loctite, which comes with them, and torque them to the specified torque...I think it is 100 lbs/ft. I did see somewhere on this forum where a guy put the nuts on backwards? Just make sure you put the beveled edge towards the spacer and flat edge out towards the wheel.

Walle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
tadam
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice and the help!
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I run spacers on stock rubi wheels and it makes the stance look that much better. Like others said you will throw up more debris. The rear flares and hinges will take most of the damage from rocks being flung up.
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
tadam
2012 JK Wrangler 

Exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any pics of front and rear view?
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

I would expand on the first half of his post. Proper bolt on spacers add no more leverage than wheels with the same end backspacing. Any addition stress the drivetrain would experience is no different between spacers or new wheels.

The others are all right that if you widen the stance you will get more debris as the fenders aren't perfectly plumb. With a 4door the rear bottom hinge will catch tons of dirt and rocks.

Not nitpicking on 222Doc in particular, but I see the misconception that spacers are somehow inherently more damaging to a vehicle than wheels that do the same job. Properly installed bolt on spacers are perfectly safe. Those non bolted spacers that just gap your wheel and rotor are extremely dangerous and should never be used.

I recently sold a 2005 TJ with the spidertrax spacers on it. I used that jeep for both daily driving, 2/3 of which were highway, and offroading through mud, sand, and washed out dirt trails. The spacers never failed, nor did any of the drivetrain components. I've seen numerous people on this forum in the TJ forum running for over 10 years.

The biggest downside to spacers? tire shops who are deathly afraid of them.
Demp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
That, and people who just throw them on and never check them because the 'red locktite' should keep them on. Then when they fail its the spacers fault
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
08rubinewb
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the 1.5 spacers on my stock rubi. I'll get you a picture tomorrow. Been wheeling with them no issues, but make sure you check and recheck them to assure they are tight. Also i don't know about other places but i was told that anything over a 1/4 inch here and they will not pass inspection. Not really an issue since you can take them off easily, or maybe it won't be an issue where you live.
08rubinewb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
stevedude19
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubinewb
I have the 1.5 spacers on my stock rubi. I'll get you a picture tomorrow. Been wheeling with them no issues, but make sure you check and recheck them to assure they are tight. Also i don't know about other places but i was told that anything over a 1/4 inch here and they will not pass inspection. Not really an issue since you can take them off easily, or maybe it won't be an issue where you live.
Here in Manitoba, Canada tires must be fully covered by fenders or flares
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam
Exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any pics of front and rear view?
I had spacers on my stock Sahara wheels and ran it for about 6k miles. No problems at all. Here are pics when it sat that way.
image-799433332.jpg   image-2054131858.jpg   image-502483427.jpg  
Brightwhite is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Forgot to say I ran spidertrax with 275/70/18... 33x11.5 MTRK's
Brightwhite is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
tadam
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. That's the look I was hoping for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightwhite View Post
I had spacers on my stock Sahara wheels and ran it for about 6k miles. No problems at all. Here are pics when it sat that way.
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
I would expand on the first half of his post. Proper bolt on spacers add no more leverage than wheels with the same end backspacing. Any addition stress the drivetrain would experience is no different between spacers or new wheels.

The others are all right that if you widen the stance you will get more debris as the fenders aren't perfectly plumb. With a 4door the rear bottom hinge will catch tons of dirt and rocks.

Not nitpicking on 222Doc in particular, but I see the misconception that spacers are somehow inherently more damaging to a vehicle than wheels that do the same job. Properly installed bolt on spacers are perfectly safe. Those non bolted spacers that just gap your wheel and rotor are extremely dangerous and should never be used.

I recently sold a 2005 TJ with the spidertrax spacers on it. I used that jeep for both daily driving, 2/3 of which were highway, and offroading through mud, sand, and washed out dirt trails. The spacers never failed, nor did any of the drivetrain components. I've seen numerous people on this forum in the TJ forum running for over 10 years.

never said it added more than off set rims. Anything widder will cause more wear at ball joints etc. I do not care if add spacers or rims.

He asked what IS, compared to stock in 50K miles you will be replacing things sooner. To the guy with the 37 on a 012, first thing to go will be the factory ball joints. tie rods. Just give it time.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.