Wheel Size Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel Size Change

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 12-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
waldoo
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wheel Size Change

I have the 17" wheels on my stock 2012 Unlimited JK Auto.

Most its is my daily driver and I take it offroading on the sand.

Planning to get bigger and wider tires thinking of BFG AT 33" 12.5

My question is, would it be better to change the wheels into a 16" or even a 15" wheel or keep the 17" with the new 33" 12.5

And why do you think the wheel size is better?

Thanks a lot,

waldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
sheila_the_xj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The bigger the wheel, the more expensive the tire will be, do to thicker sidewalls. But along with that, the bigger the rim, the ore tire options you'll have. (15's usually max out at 35s with the exception of a few pitbull tires made in 37").
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootz View Post
how would she know about boxes on the porch, unless the porch is right beside the kitchen? Confused:confused::confused:
Quote:
jeeps earn nicknames. a zj on 31's, hhmmmm. Mallcrawl would work so would headingtothestoreformilkandeggs or maybe hardcoreforhighway
Quote:
damn, your barracks have actual wallboard and hardwood floors? you must be AF
sheila_the_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
waldoo
2012 JK Wrangler 

I dont think ill be going more than 33" and a 2.5" lift as it is my daily driver.

Other than the cost, will there be performance issues or difference if i go from 17" to 16" or 15" and which is better.

I see some people go all the way to 15" to make it lighter and faster.
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Cribby

Hey Waldoo,

I'm considering the same as you. I have the Jeep factory 18" wheels and want to go with 33" or possibly 35". For 33"'s I've heard those will fit with the stock height no lift but to get 35's you'll have to do at least 2.5 inch lift. That is what I am looking at as well cause once you go over 2.5" you'll need to invest in drive shaft extenders, and other bits.

I assume a 15" 33 inch is just as tall and wide as a 17" 33 inch, the only difference is the sidewall height? So in the end both tires are exactly the same height at 33 inches regardless of rim size?

Thanks for posting this as I was about to do so

- James
Cribby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just change mine over to 33's on 15's. It's a better ride than the 17's.
fueljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Cribby

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueljunkie View Post
I just change mine over to 33's on 15's. It's a better ride than the 17's.
Better ride both on and off road? My only concern with dropping from 18's to 15's or 16's is roll when turning, I would think you would get more sidewall flex with a big tire small rim combo?
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Both. It never was a sports car. I like the softer ride with my broken back and tail bone.
fueljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Cribby

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueljunkie View Post
Both. It never was a sports car. I like the softer ride with my broken back and tail bone.
So I guess my dreams and hopes of autocrossing this beast is not going to become a reality

Ouch on the back break!!!
Unread 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

youll flip before you roll a properly inflated 35 on 15" rim. im going with 37s soon. id sell someone my 35s on 15s if they want. have like 6k miles on them lol. i like them because they roll over rocks better, the foot print when deflated is more than a 35 on 17. and yes you can run 35s with no lift, not hard, just trim the fenders.
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Spike6901

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoo View Post
I dont think ill be going more than 33" and a 2.5" lift as it is my daily driver.

Other than the cost, will there be performance issues or difference if i go from 17" to 16" or 15" and which is better.

I see some people go all the way to 15" to make it lighter and faster.
I went with 17's because it will 'hunt' less on the highway with less sidewall and I found a nice 9" wide wheel with the right back spacing. You also have a large tire selection. My past Jeeps had 15's and 33's or 35's and you had to have both hands on the wheel when driving on concrete and grooved roads.

Bad side is you really don't get enough side wall flex offroad unless you air way down.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
waldoo
2012 JK Wrangler 

What do u mean "hunt"?

I'm leaning towards the 15" since I won't go more than 33" not anytime soon for sure. Not ready to regear. But my worry is If it will affect the braking. And will it be lighter on 15" or the tire with more rubber will compensate with that weight ?
Unread 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
jkmatt11
2010 JK Wrangler 

When u put ur lift on make sure to loosen all control arms, and then re torque on the ground at new ride height. Also do the same with ur front and rear track bar. If not what will happen is the bushings will bind up and wear out premature.death wobble is what they call it. Ohh ya and get that beach aligned as soon as ur done. Speaking from bad expierences with my jk
jkmatt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

I went with 15's and I don't regret doing so. I have taken off ramps doing 65 (Yeah I know I'm that idiot) without a problem. As stated above, you will roll your jeep before you have a turning problem on 15's. And breaks are fine. Just if you do go 15's make sure that you find a wheel the the right amount of offset or else you will be too tight up against your brake caliper. My MB TKO's have an offset of -19 so I clear them without trimming the calipers. Cragar Soft 8's however, do have this issue. Tires are so much cheaper for 15's as well. When I do decide to go 37's my JKUR will be paid off, have an expired warranty, no longer be my DD and questionably street legal so I will indeed run Rockers.
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

The main advantage to 15's is it cost less for tires and more side wall which is better for wheeling.

I have 35 X 12.5 X 15 and saved $100 / tire over the same combo in a 17".

Main problem you will find though is that there isn't much of a wheel selection in 15's. You could do 16's, but not much of a tire selection there. 17" will give you the widest selection. As mentioned, you'll pay $100 more per tire though.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
waldoo
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok great, i think ill go for the 33 X 12.5 X 15

Now for the wheels, 8,9,or 10? and whats the right back spacing/offset?

Any ideas and why u chose this setup.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.