Wheel options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel options

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Kubacca11
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wheel options

Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and just bought my first wrangler 2012 JK Sport. I have the smaller tires (16"), which looks tiny on the jeep. I'm looking to get bigger tires. Without going too extreme, what are some of my wheel size options? What are the biggest I can get without having to get a lift kit? (Don't have the equipment to do it). I just want my jeep to look rugged, if not least "normal". Any suggestions??

Kubacca11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

First, welcome to the forum, second, read the FAQ section entitled "will it rub" and third check out some related threads using the search function...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi Kubacca11 and welcome to the forum.

My suggestion to you would be to look in the sticky “JK F.A.Q. - Frequently Asked Questions / Will It Rub and Links to Popular Threads!” at the beginning of this forum. There is tons of info regarding your JK including what fits and what doesn’t; lots of articles/write-ups to boot.
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

RockyClymer,

Damm spell checker, you beat me a hair.
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Kubacca11
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks a lot guys. Didn't even know that page existed!
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
NewAdventure
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for all posts guys lots of help. i bookmarked almost everything. not to thread jack, im new aswell and im looking for a jeep just with rims and tyres no lift
NewAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Kubacca11
2012 JK Wrangler 

newAdventure, let me know what you end up doing to your Jeep. I'd be curious to see what ya do.
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
NewAdventure
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay. This forum doesn't tell me when replies happen. I ended up with the Razorled jeep. Just waiting to get here on the truck. Great guys. I watched the torture test and it blew my mind. It has a lot of stuff done to it already but it's all done the right way and clean as a whistle. I'll prob take off the air raid and throw on the viper throttle body and the MOPAR DOT approved intake. Maybe shorty headers. Coming from a fast car might be hard to deal with. How did you make out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Kubacca11
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm still in the researching phase. I'd like bigger tires, but I don't know if I want a lift or not. A lift would be sweet though, but I'm afraid I may run into warranty issues (I still have a lot of warranty left). I'm also looking into different wheel options. Been tossing the idea of buying used rims and painting them myself rather than paying $1k on wheels just because I like the black color. I don't really care about the spoke style. Either way, I still haven't decided on anything, not sure what I want! Lol
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
NewAdventure
2007 JK Wrangler 

Some dealers are cool with things some are not so kind. I'm not the biggest fan of the smokes too much. But! When there on the vehicle gatta live with it. Do a simple lift. Like a tera flex 2.5! You can add more to it later.

Unread 01-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
PANMPHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubacca11
Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and just bought my first wrangler 2012 JK Sport. I have the smaller tires (16"), which looks tiny on the jeep. I'm looking to get bigger tires. Without going too extreme, what are some of my wheel size options? What are the biggest I can get without having to get a lift kit? (Don't have the equipment to do it). I just want my jeep to look rugged, if not least "normal". Any suggestions??
Right there with you. Bought a 2013 2 door JK sport but it came with 16 inch wheels. It feels so small. I'm thinking of getting 17 inch wheels and 31 inch tires or going bigger if I get a leveling kit.
PANMPHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANMPHI View Post
Right there with you. Bought a 2013 2 door JK sport but it came with 16 inch wheels. It feels so small. I'm thinking of getting 17 inch wheels and 31 inch tires or going bigger if I get a leveling kit.

You could easily keep your 16" rims and buy a 32" tire like a DuraTrac 265/75R16 and you won't need any modifications nor will you have to worry about the warranty.

If you buy 17" rims you can go as big as 32" tires without any modification/spacers/leveling kit. Here is my 2013 JKU with 17" stock rims and Mud-Terrain T/A KM 255/75R17. It's the same tire that comes stock on a Rubi. You could find a nice deal on Craigslist with some ones take off rims and tires.

Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
Kubacca11
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On
You could easily keep your 16" rims and buy a 32" tire like a DuraTrac 265/75R16 and you won't need any modifications nor will you have to worry about the warranty. If you buy 17" rims you can go as big as 32" tires without any modification/spacers/leveling kit. Here is my 2013 JKU with 17" stock rims and Mud-Terrain T/A KM 255/75R17. It's the same tire that comes stock on a Rubi. You could find a nice deal on Craigslist with some ones take off rims and tires.
Did you put a lift on yours? Your set up is almost to what I'm looking for. Not enormous tires, but big enough to give ya an edge when off roading.
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubacca11 View Post
Did you put a lift on yours? Your set up is almost to what I'm looking for. Not enormous tires, but big enough to give ya an edge when off roading.
I have no lift on it yet but I'm going to put a 3/4" leveling kit on the front only sometime soon because it's a bit nose heavy. Then eventually I'm going to put on 33 inch tires and different rims with a 4.50" back spacing.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
NewAdventure
2007 JK Wrangler 

What ever you decide to do it will work cause your looking around at other possibilities. Hell yesterday i spent an easy 4-6 hours at work London for the best headlight upgrade under 430. Just let us know what you figured out man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.