Wheel Lock - Yes or No - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel Lock - Yes or No

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
jimmyjack

Wheel Lock - Yes or No

I turned 300 miles on my JK Sahara today. I smile at the 18" wheel option that came w/ it and I wonder.

I have had 4 Wranglers b/4 this one, and I believe all of them had anti-theft wheel locks on all 5 tires. Current Sahara sits without them......I live in a low crime neighborhood, but do travel.

1. Should I get a set.

2. What is the best set/deal/offer.

3. Does a lock on a real wheel change the balance of the tire? (sorry if this is a silly question)

4. Should I bother at all (like anyone who really wants my spare will have it in 20 seconds anyway...)

I'm curious about the experience and advice of you guys..

--jimmyjack

jimmyjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack
I turned 300 miles on my JK Sahara today. I smile at the 18" wheel option that came w/ it and I wonder.

I have had 4 Wranglers b/4 this one, and I believe all of them had anti-theft wheel locks on all 5 tires. Current Sahara sits without them......I live in a low crime neighborhood, but do travel.

1. Should I get a set.

2. What is the best set/deal/offer.

3. Does a lock on a real wheel change the balance of the tire? (sorry if this is a silly question)

4. Should I bother at all (like anyone who really wants my spare will have it in 20 seconds anyway...)

I'm curious about the experience and advice of you guys..

--jimmyjack
Great question, I have 1 wheel lock on the spare tire, I wonder if I can get 4 more lug nuts from Jeep with the same key? damn I better start making a list!

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

HMMMMMMMM maybe its better to not have locks and if they do get stolen, wooooohooooooooo new rims!

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Motocane
Jeepster

You probably can't stop a determined thief. You just have to reduce the odds by not making yours an easy target. After that, you have to rely on insurance (less the deductible of course).
Motocane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=7W

5 locks for $36.00

Inexpensive, simple, low tech theft-deterrent probably worth the peace of mind.
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
daveyramone
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I always use wheel locks on my cars/trucks/Jeeps. For the small price of admission, it's worth making it that much harder for some creep to steal your wheels. At the minimum, get one for your spare. Those are just too easy for someone to rip off.

Seeing that you have the optional 18" wheels, I'd definitely get some locks. Jeep owners are usually very hands-off when it comes to other's Jeeps and don't steal off of them, but the new JKs are attracting some owners that haven't been Jeep owners before (see any recent rap videos starring the new Wrangler) so they might not show the same courtesy to your rig as old-time Jeepers would.
Canadian Jeep Club Member #2
2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited
daveyramone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #7
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used to have a Camaro years ago. One night I was parked at a condo clubhouse. The next day I noticed that the plastic caps that go over the lugs were missing from the lugs that were locking. Also the center caps were missing. I think in that instance having the locks kept my rims from getting stolen.
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
UTAH

Yeah - I've got the 5-piece lock set from Mopar. They're good quality and won't rust. I remove them when I go off-roading so I can deal with a tire problem easier.

Bill
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
CruiserClass
2005 WK 

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...06853&D=306853

Gorillas without the nasty banana peels!
CruiserClass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
UTAH

Those Gorilla lock sets include only 4 locks. Most all of us need 5.

Bill
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

There is one Gorilla set with 5 locks. I don't know the part number off hand.

Or just buy a 4 lock set and then when you call Gorilla to order a spare key (You do carry a spare key in your offroad tool bag don't you?) you can order 1 more lock for like 5 bucks. That's what I did last time.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.