What's the Real Worth of the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What's the Real Worth of the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

My diffs are not covered anymore Installed Aussie locker in front, OX locker in rear... And will be regearing soon.

Quote:
Now, if this was a BS warranty, would they have put some type of obscure requirement in the fine print? I don't think so, they want to get out of it if possible
Well as I stated before... They don't need to attempt to get out of it really. 95% of new buyers will get rid of it within the first 5 years. So that only leaves them 5% to worry about. Now of that remaining 5%, a pretty good percentage of those will modify their rigs to the point of voiding the warranty. Another percentage will wheel them so hard that the failures can be attributed to wheeling. Another percentage will be in accidents where the JK gets totalled. And lastly you'll have a percentage of "dumb" people that won't notice the 5 year inspection requirement in the warranty. So in the end, Chrysler (or whoever owns Jeep down the road) will only have to deal with a very small amount of engine/powertrain warranty claims.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
stick_it_
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
My diffs are not covered anymore Installed Aussie locker in front, OX locker in rear... And will be regearing soon.

Well as I stated before... They don't need to attempt to get out of it really. 95% of new buyers will get rid of it within the first 5 years. So that only leaves them 5% to worry about. Now of that remaining 5%, a pretty good percentage of those will modify their rigs to the point of voiding the warranty. Another percentage will wheel them so hard that the failures can be attributed to wheeling. Another percentage will be in accidents where the JK gets totalled. And lastly you'll have a percentage of "dumb" people that won't notice the 5 year inspection requirement in the warranty. So in the end, Chrysler (or whoever owns Jeep down the road) will only have to deal with a very small amount of engine/powertrain warranty claims.
I absolutely agree with that statement.

Also keep in mind that if you mod your Jeep using MOPAR products and have a Chrysler dealer install them, warranty is maintained unless MOPAR specifically states that that part voids the warranty.
stick_it_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #18
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Rings and cylinder walls wear out. It is inherent in the design. You have one piece of metal that sprung to press against another piece of metal so hard that it makes an air tight seal. There is a thin layer of oil between the two pieces of metal and oil today is better than oil fifty years ago. Still, the coefficient of friction is not zero. Anytime there is friction between two objects, one or both exhibits some wear after a certain period of time. If you can accept that things like brake pads and clutches are wear items, it is not a leap to accept that rings and cylinders also wear out. It is impossible to build piston rings and cylinders that do not wear. The Wankel Rotary engine is a good example of two parts wearing. The seals between the rotors and combustion chamber are notorious for leaks, despite the many years the engine has been in production. Their wear rate is much much higher than a piston engine.

If the warranty was that extensive, I would think their ads would be proclaiming "This is the last vehicle you will ever have to buy!" Wouldn't that be a hell of a selling point and something to capitalize on?

My Jeep only came with 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty. I'm not worried about it. If I was, I probably would not be able to fun in my Jeep.
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
stick_it_
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
My Jeep only came with 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty. I'm not worried about it. If I was, I probably would not be able to fun in my Jeep.
LOL!!! To tell you the truth, the first thing that I thought when I read your post in this thread was, "this guy doesn't have the lifetime warranty."
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Covers the water pump too which I was surprised at. It looks like it covers leaks as well which is nice. I always hated a leaking valve cover or rear main seal on cars I have owned in the past.

The 50,000 mile check-up at no cost is absolutely reasonable IMHO. It allows the dealer to catch a mole before it possibly becomes a mountain. And it isn't in fine print, it's clearly spelled out as a requirement in the warranty docs.
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:42 AM   #21
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCP08JK View Post
The 50,000 mile check-up at no cost is absolutely reasonable IMHO. It allows the dealer to catch a mole before it possibly becomes a mountain. And it isn't in fine print, it's clearly spelled out as a requirement in the warranty docs.
Is it 5 years? Or is it 50,000 miles? or is it either/both?
I thought it was just 5 years.
My Jeep is turns 15 months old today and has over 36,000 miles on it....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #22
stick_it_
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
To maintain the lifetime - it is a powertrain inspection every 5 years and maintenance at the the recommended service intervals.

To protect yourself, I recommend keeping documentation of all maintenance done on the vehicle so you can PROVE that the schedule has been followed. If you don't have it and they ask to see it, you could end up with a voided warranty. Just my .02.
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #23
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
5 years. You are correct - my bad. In the Warranty booklet it has the 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 year check up pages to maintain the warranty.
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
tjpoolman
2007 TJ Wrangler 

lifetime warranty

Has anyone on here actually had to use the lifetime warranty? Engine failure, trans, etc?? If so, was it a huge drawnout painful process? I lease a 2007 wrangler unlimited. Currently 83K miles. There is something really wrong with engine. knocking etc. I am vacationing in FL and live in MA. I had it towed to a local dealer. And started researching. I have found that any vehicle purchased or leased after July 26 2007 would automatically and at no charge will come with a lifetime warranty. It doesn`t say anything about miles, but you do have to be the original purchaser or leasee. Maybe they are figuring on the lease ending and or the vehicle being sold (lifetime warranty not transferrable). I have done regular oil changes like clockwork every 3K. Probably 30 oil changes but not at a jeep dealer...3-4 at jiffy lube....3-4 my mechanic...3-4 speedy....3-4 turbo lube etc.....12-15 I did myself in my backyard. I`m hoping they are not anal about records/receipts because most of them are at my primary residence 1200 miles away!!! I suppose I could go online and get all my credit card statements for the past 3yrs.... Changed air filter when I was supposed to, etc. Did the rear brakes over. Replaced tires with the same goodyear 17" that came with it new. And put gas in it. It has otherwise been 100% worry-free and a pleasure to drive. I have done no other modifications. The end of my lease was a few months ago and instead of buying it outright, I choose to lease for one more year, and plan to buy and the end of the total 4 yr lease. I am over the lease mileage but figured that wouldn`t matter because mileage is not mentioned in the lifetime warranty. Plus if i`m buying it at the end of the lease, I won`t be charged the miles. Any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated. The jeep has been with the dealer since Friday. It is now Monday late afternoon and i havn`t received a call from dealer. I left messages. Thanks
tjpoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 jk

I just got my 5 year power train inspection and didn't bring any paperwork with me and they still honored it for me. The service guy said every 5 years to bring it in and they will honor it. I plan on keeping it forever. Or a good 15 years. He said the warranty covers the engine and transmission.
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have not had to actually use the warranty though, in answer to your question.
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfiddle View Post
I just got my 5 year power train inspection and didn't bring any paperwork with me and they still honored it for me. The service guy said every 5 years to bring it in and they will honor it. I plan on keeping it forever. Or a good 15 years. He said the warranty covers the engine and transmission.
Holy thread throwback

Wish I had the powertrain on my '08...bought it used off lease in 2010 with 38K miles, replaced the motor a couple months ago with 58K miles.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
Holy thread throwback

Wish I had the powertrain on my '08...bought it used off lease in 2010 with 38K miles, replaced the motor a couple months ago with 58K miles.
I bought my 08 used two years ago with 32k miles on it. It had been out of warranty for about 6 months. Bought the Lifetime Powertrain Service contract for it for 1400 and 3 months later had the transmission rebuilt under the service contract. It's already paid for itself and I still have a lifetime to go! Covers engine, tranny, transfer case, drive lines and axles. I hope I never need it again, but it's nice to know it's there.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just in the last 5 weeks, I've had to replace my front driveshaft and my front wheel/unit bearings. I did it myself, but I'd hate to find out the dealer would have covered it

...again, the dealer I used in Richmond (Pearson) was totally mod friendly, and some of the mechanics had Jeeps/boggers; but the one here (Browns), even though they sell AEV bling, doesn't strike me that way.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.