Whats the difference between Flares and Fenders? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Whats the difference between Flares and Fenders?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

Whats the difference between Flares and Fenders?

Im trying to find out the main difference between fenders and fender flares. I love the look of smittybilt xrc fenders. But im curious as to the difference between the flares and fender flaires. I can tell visually, but in performance wise, what am i looking at?

2014 JKU Wrangler "UMBRA" - 3" Rubicon Express Lift Kit | Bilstein 5100 shocks | 33" Nitto A/T | 17 Pacers | RockHard Skid Plates | Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper | Mile Marker 8000 LB winch | Black Mesh grill | Rampage Locking Gas Door |
Corvito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know a few people that put that on. to me it makes the jeep look more H2 ish.

on a Jk its a bit of an oddity. Tj's had metal fenders with plastic flairs. front and back to cover the tires. Jks use less metal and more plastic. to cover the tires.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

but whats the main difference purpose wise, is it just cosmetic? i know the flares will keep more mud from flinging up, but i reallly like the look on the xrc fenders, but i just wanna know what the purpose of each really is before i spend money. plus i already have a smittybilt front bumper
2014 JKU Wrangler "UMBRA" - 3" Rubicon Express Lift Kit | Bilstein 5100 shocks | 33" Nitto A/T | 17 Pacers | RockHard Skid Plates | Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper | Mile Marker 8000 LB winch | Black Mesh grill | Rampage Locking Gas Door |
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would put the stocks stuff as "cosmetic". excepting they are wide enough to cover the tires. but that is all they do. We tell people on our trails that you need metal here. the stock wont hold your jeep off the rocks and we have very narrow canyons that you need narrow and tuff fenders/flairs.

like I said I have seen these in use off road. they work. they are heavy. personally I will buy American if possible. not sure what these SMits cost. a GOOD set of fenders from Nemesis. Metal Cloak or Poison spider. would be my choices even if I have to save up for them. plane on about 1K+ for these.
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Flairs/Flares/Fenders--all personal definitions and NONE keep crap (rooster tails) off the sides of the jeeps-they just cover tires-

If you want cosmetic and side protection--mud flaps work well, but

You've gotta decide your definition of "cosmetic"-I've got mud flaps (invisable) and my JKUR is 100%% off-road/without rooster tails-

It's your jeep so YOU have to decide-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

i love the look of the smittybilts, it just looks mean as hell. i was just wondering the purpose of them. Im not worried about throwing up **** tons of mud! What issues would i run into with the smittybilts. they do not cover the tires. Or are flares more of a recommendation?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/138.htm - Front Fenders
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/139.htm - Rear Fenders
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

The Fender, is the whole metal piece from the front of the vehicle to just under the door. With 18 or so bolts it comes off.

The Flare is the plastic over the wheel.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

what your experiences without a flare? does it get annoying?
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvito View Post
i love the look of the smittybilts, it just looks mean as hell. i was just wondering the purpose of them. Im not worried about throwing up **** tons of mud! What issues would i run into with the smittybilts. they do not cover the tires. Or are flares more of a recommendation?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/138.htm - Front Fenders
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/139.htm - Rear Fenders
The Smittybilts are just a cosmetic change. You will throw more rocks, dirt, water and snow with the Smittybilts because they don't cover the tires. You'll have to check with local laws to see if you are even allowed to have them on.

One advantage I can thing of is that you won't crush any of your fender/flares on stuff on the trail. The bad side is your wheels/tires will be the first thing hitting.
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The Smittybilts are just a cosmetic change. You will throw more rocks, dirt, water and snow with the Smittybilts because they don't cover the tires. You'll have to check with local laws to see if you are even allowed to have them on.

One advantage I can thing of is that you won't crush any of your fender/flares on stuff on the trail. The bad side is your wheels/tires will be the first thing hitting.
thanks for that answer, thats what i was looking for!
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've never seen anything from Smittybilt that wasn't total crap.

Now my opinion: those flares look goofy and just make the Jeep more bulky and less Jeep like.

Want to see a slick design and great fab work? Check out Nemesis Industry flares.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
I've never seen anything from Smittybilt that wasn't total crap.

Now my opinion: those flares look goofy and just make the Jeep more bulky and less Jeep like.

Want to see a slick design and great fab work? Check out Nemesis Industry flares.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I have heard nothing good about smittybilt, but i mean we all have different experiences. but you think those fenders make it look bulky? they look low profile to me because of the exclusion of flares. ill check our nemesis though.
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget to check your state's tire coverage laws. For instance, here in the Commonwealth (blech! LOL) I can't have more than 4 inches of tire tread sticking out past the front outer edge of my fender flare. Some companies sell narrow fenders that I can't pass inspection with.

That being said, I really like narrow flares. They make the tires look bigger, throw tons of mud, and generally make the heep look like a buggy. (I also don't mind a dirty jeep) On the downside, you gotta draw yourself in if you don't have doors and go through the goopy stuff!

Also, consider what you want out of your flare. If you go plastic and smack into a tree, they won't transfer impact into your sheet metal. They will likely pop off. Maybe they will crack, maybe they won't. If you go steel, they are less likely to take damage, but they may possibly transfer those hard knocks right into your tub. Aluminum costs more and will do the same thing as steel (but are much lighter, if that matters to you).

I like Ace Engineering and Fab. They are high clearance, steel, and about half the price of many competitors. You gotta get creative about reattaching your fender liners though if you want to keep them. The only reason I went with steel is because I couldnt stand to pay that much money for plastic bushcrackers. I really like Smitty's extreme set, but they are REALLY narrow (I think too much for me), surprisingly heavy, and completely replace the fenders.
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvito View Post
I have heard nothing good about smittybilt, but i mean we all have different experiences. but you think those fenders make it look bulky? they look low profile to me because of the exclusion of flares. ill check our nemesis though.
The one thing that I don't like about those fenders, cosmetically, are the rivet look in the front flares. I've seen builds with wheels with rivets and the first thing I think of is "Bedazzled."
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
Don't forget to check your state's tire coverage laws. For instance, here in the Commonwealth (blech! LOL) I can't have more than 4 inches of tire tread sticking out past the front outer edge of my fender flare. Some companies sell narrow fenders that I can't pass inspection with.

That being said, I really like narrow flares. They make the tires look bigger, throw tons of mud, and generally make the heep look like a buggy. (I also don't mind a dirty jeep) On the downside, you gotta draw yourself in if you don't have doors and go through the goopy stuff!

Also, consider what you want out of your flare. If you go plastic and smack into a tree, they won't transfer impact into your sheet metal. They will likely pop off. Maybe they will crack, maybe they won't. If you go steel, they are less likely to take damage, but they may possibly transfer those hard knocks right into your tub. Aluminum costs more and will do the same thing as steel (but are much lighter, if that matters to you).

I like Ace Engineering and Fab. They are high clearance, steel, and about half the price of many competitors. You gotta get creative about reattaching your fender liners though if you want to keep them. The only reason I went with steel is because I couldnt stand to pay that much money for plastic bushcrackers. I really like Smitty's extreme set, but they are REALLY narrow (I think too much for me), surprisingly heavy, and completely replace the fenders.
Hey brother, thanks for that info. I have my car registered in SC, but live here in hampton roads too! Hey know any good mudding holes or trails around? And im also looking for a good jeep club to join! Any word on those, hit me up!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.