Whats the best (bandaid) rear tire ext/relocation bracket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Whats the best (bandaid) rear tire ext/relocation bracket?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
mda0303
2012 JK Wrangler 

Whats the best (bandaid) rear tire ext/relocation bracket?

I cant afford the tire carrier I want for another month or so.. I need to get a bracket so I can mount my 35x12.5x17 spare tire. What are your recommendations for a temporary quick fix?

mda0303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mda0303
I cant afford the tire carrier I want for another month or so.. I need to get a bracket so I can mount my 35x12.5x17 spare tire. What are your recommendations for a temporary quick fix?
What tire and wheel combo. What is the backspace of the wheel ?
There are a few companies that make an adaptor plate.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
mda0303
2012 JK Wrangler 

Pro comp 7005 17x9 (4.75" b.s., -6mm offset)
Goodyear MT/R's 35x12.5x17
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Pro comp 7005 17x9 (4.75" b.s., -6mm offset)
Goodyear MT/R's 35x12.5x17
Ok usually a wheel with 4.5" BS will just fit with the 35" on the factory carrier. A 1/4" spacer may do the trick for the time being.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
mda0303
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Ok usually a wheel with 4.5" BS will just fit with the 35" on the factory carrier. A 1/4" spacer may do the trick for the time being.
I did a test fit to see how bad it was.. I was alittle surprised with how off it was. Im thinking more of a 1/2" to 3/4". Im not sure if im over-exaggerating or not.
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
mda0303
2012 JK Wrangler 

how worried should I be about the stock tailgate in doing this? its a 2012 and will only be used for about 2 months. I also have the daystar bumps to help eliminate vibration.

was thinking about this one..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12008_0091.htm
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I did a test fit to see how bad it was.. I was alittle surprised with how off it was. Im thinking more of a 1/2" to 3/4". Im not sure if im over-exaggerating or not.
I ran a 35" ProComp Xtreme M/T on the factory tailgate carrier for 2 years, then 35" Duratracs for a year with 4.5" BS and factory bumper. On the other hand my 35" Pitbulls will not fit with 4.5"BS as they are one of very few 35s that actually measure 35".
If you put 1/4" of washers on the carrier studs, then put the tire on the carrier with the tail gate open a bit. Once bolted up close the tailgate and see what happens. The tire will snug up on the back plastic bumper and keep it tight. This also keeps the stress off the tailgate.
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
mda0303
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just went out and did a test fit with washers. it satisfies the width / depth, but its actually the diameter. Hits the rear bumper by at least 3/4". I bought that Smittybuilt Tire Relocation Bracket for $50, it moves it out and up. I guess im just going to crank everything tight, get the bump stops snug on the tire, and pray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.