What would you do first? Lift or Lockers? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 AM
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Definitely drive it for a while before you do anything to it. You will be amazed how capable they are stock. So many people buy one join a forum and think they need a 6" lift and 37" tires to go offroading. You will probably find you don't even need a locker for what you want to do. Enjoy it !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 02-14-2015, 12:17 PM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
It's all a system, yup.

Not so much about what you do first, but how you prioritize your budget.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #18 of 30 Old 02-14-2015, 08:19 PM
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For the use you describe, I'd say grab a set of Rubicon take off tires and wheels and enjoy your jeep. It will do everything you want without any of the other mods and you retain the drivability and comfort of a factory jeep.

2014 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.

post #19 of 30 Old 02-17-2015, 04:05 AM
snokat
2014 JK Wrangler 

Best advise was to get out with a local Jeep club and go wheelin' with them, your local area is specific to even a "light offroading" style.

I'm on Jeep #8, but my first Wrangler, and while I have my build mindset in progress, I have a lot to learn. So I'm heading out on the 28th with Jeep Only Club to a local 4x4 park for a day of fun and more learning.

Forty years in the dirt and each vehicle has to be learned, and I started with a Ramcharger in '75, just add tires and go days. Then learn about deathwobble after pounding Maine lumber trails and drive 500 miles home at 50 mph. :-(

I'm in the mode of considering lockers for the rear, but that is why wheelin' with a club can help you decide on the need.

FYI Living in Jersey way back when, all I ever did was tire up on one Cherokee and two ZJs, other than the sand, NJ and FL or totally different enviroments.

At the top of the mountain, we are all snow leopards! HST
post #20 of 30 Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
IGoFast1589

Will start with quick disconnects, light drivetrain armor, tires and see where that leads me.

I just hate one wheel spinning freely with an open differential, no power to the ground... So useless. I feel so compelled to swap the differential out for that reason. When I first got into Jeeps I was surprised to learn that Jeep ever released any model with open differentials.
post #21 of 30 Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM
snokat
2014 JK Wrangler 

I would point out that the only time, maybe I should say the first time, I got high-centered a Rubicon with no winch pulled me out, and he locked in because I was in 20 inches of water and sand.

post #22 of 30 Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
IGoFast1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokat View Post
I would point out that the only time, maybe I should say the first time, I got high-centered a Rubicon with no winch pulled me out, and he locked in because I was in 20 inches of water and sand.
So you're saying his lockers helped him there, right? Did you not have lockers?
post #23 of 30 Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 AM
snokat
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So you're saying his lockers helped him there, right? Did you not have lockers?
Yes, he didn't have a winch, just lockers. I'm just a Sport 2-door, and my mechanic is recommending a mechanical locker for the rear.

I'm going mudding with my club on the 28th, so I know I'll find my limits, though so far the Terrain Grapplers have been flawless other than the high-center incident. Don't mud alone!

I am looking at throwing down the $$$ for a set of mudders as well, but the locker would be first. I haven't gotten into a spinning situation yet. I have been running this stuff though.

EDIT: Mudders first, apparently the rears aren't as slippery as I thought - limited-slip, so I'll look into a front e-locker with my club buds.
Attached Images

post #24 of 30 Old 02-19-2015, 05:47 AM
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When I first got into Jeeps I was surprised to learn that Jeep ever released any model with open differentials.
Not every Jeep goes off-road (i.e. soccer moms and mall crawlers). And the JK is no sports car on the road.

If used incorrectly, a locker can do more damage than good. Put into the hands of said soccer moms and mall crawlers, you would likely have many people upset with Jeep's "quality" as they snap axle shafts with a locker they don't know how to use.

Bottom line, it comes down to profit$. Making the locker an option allows for more money in Jeep's balance sheets.

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
IGoFast1589

+1 on the lockers comment. Limited slip differentials and lockers are expensive hardware.
post #26 of 30 Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 AM
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Eaton (Detroit) lockers/LSD's are relatively cheap compared to selectable. The newer ones are built for 40" tires so are near bulletproof.
Warning... The eaton LSD in the rear with a manual transmission can be "clunky". Still trying to get used to it..
You want to decide on gearing before locking because you want to do both at the same time.

Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day....Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life....
post #27 of 30 Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget you have BLD. Although they are technically open axles, they don't really act like it. A wrangler with BLD will go most places a locked 4x4 will go. I've gone everywhere that I needed lockers in my TJ for with my unlocked JK. BLD works pretty good. I'm going to run the Rubicon in my JK without lockers because I'm confident enough in the BLD.

2014 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 AM
snokat
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is why you do tires first and do some club wheelin' to see if you even need lockers.

post #29 of 30 Old 02-20-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
IGoFast1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Eaton (Detroit) lockers/LSD's are relatively cheap compared to selectable. The newer ones are built for 40" tires so are near bulletproof.
Warning... The eaton LSD in the rear with a manual transmission can be "clunky". Still trying to get used to it..
You want to decide on gearing before locking because you want to do both at the same time.
Why is it clunky? You mean the differential engagement isn't smooth? That's a bummer.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 AM
CJ7nvrstk
Military Jeeper

1985 CJ7 

Lift by all means. You get a little height on there and you may be very surprised about how that thing performs. Many people rely way too much on lockers where if a little skill and finesse were used instead lockers wouldn't be needed. It can make you choose your lines better and actually enhance your driving skill.

Then there is the cost aspect. Having lockers installed is not cheap. Not to mention, you typically want to regear when installing lockers. If you regear now and are still on stock size tires you will likely be overgeared and drivability will suffer. If you don't regear, then you are paying for the same work twice when you decide to regear later. That is unless you are planning on using a lunchbox locker. Those can be installed without a regear if you are able to use the same carrier.

A suggested, go out with some local wheelers and se what they say keeping in mind that there are many different build philosophies. Some go armor and winch first, some lift and tires (my preference) and some gears/lockers.

RED Friday. Remember Everyone Deployed
45 MB, 67 Commando, 85 CJ, 08 JKU, 11 JKU

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift kit , lockers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.