What winch to purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What winch to purchase

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

What winch to purchase

I just purchased an ARB front bumper and looking for a winch, I've always like Warn winches but I was wondering about the Smitybilt winches. Has anybody had any experiences with these winches? The winch will not be used that much.

Also what size do you guys recommend? I have 2014 JKU Rubi with soon to be on 35s.

Thank You

D700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

There are two approaches to the decision. The higher the load rating of the winch - the higher the price of the winch, but the lower the amp draw on your system. You CAN save money be getting "just enough" winch for your weight - an 8000 lb will do. HOWEVER an 8000 winch pulling 5000 lbs will draw almost TWICE the load as a 13K winch pulling that same load. SO if you go with the lower minimal rate - you must wire it with heavier guage (higher install cost and weight) and should have a dual battery setup - an 8 wired with 0 gauge will do fine for occasional use. With a single battery I would recommend a 13K and it can be wired with 2GA.

I used a Smittybuilt 8k for about 2 years (used it ~17 times - a couple quite heavily - over that two years) with my dual battery setup - saw a bit of voltage drop - but with a 1 minute recovery per minute of winching (50% duty cycles) it was no problem..

I recently discovered a need for a winch on my trailer - and the Viper13K (kit includes rope, hooks, snatch block, fair lead, both wired and wireless controllers, winch cover and all mounting hardware) was on sale so I got it for the Jeep and will be putting the 8 on the trailer. I was amazed at how much better the 13 performs - at no voltage drop! I was on the button about 80% duty cycle and it never made a bad noise , slowed or gave any issues! And the wireless is SOOOOO handy giving the ability to rig and operate seamlessly.

Either rate - I HIGHLY recommend rope over steel cable. And I also recommend using a 600Amp solenoid to disconnect power (or a manual disconnect like flaming river - I used the Big Switch with lever exiting just under the right front turn signal to make a manual battery master disconnect on our Towed JK - on my Rubi I use a solenoid driven by a switch from the sPod) - live heavy guage wires on the bumper can be a MAJOR issue in even a "small" front end collision - not to mention can be very bad if used to vandalize the Jeep!!!!!!
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
There are two approaches to the decision. The higher the load rating of the winch - the higher the price of the winch, but the lower the amp draw on your system. You CAN save money be getting "just enough" winch for your weight - an 8000 lb will do. HOWEVER an 8000 winch pulling 5000 lbs will draw almost TWICE the load as a 13K winch pulling that same load. SO if you go with the lower minimal rate - you must wire it with heavier guage (higher install cost and weight) and should have a dual battery setup - an 8 wired with 0 gauge will do fine for occasional use. With a single battery I would recommend a 13K and it can be wired with 2GA.

I used a Smittybuilt 8k for about 2 years (used it ~17 times - a couple quite heavily - over that two years) with my dual battery setup - saw a bit of voltage drop - but with a 1 minute recovery per minute of winching (50% duty cycles) it was no problem..

I recently discovered a need for a winch on my trailer - and the Viper13K (kit includes rope, hooks, snatch block, fair lead, both wired and wireless controllers, winch cover and all mounting hardware) was on sale so I got it for the Jeep and will be putting the 8 on the trailer. I was amazed at how much better the 13 performs - at no voltage drop! I was on the button about 80% duty cycle and it never made a bad noise , slowed or gave any issues! And the wireless is SOOOOO handy giving the ability to rig and operate seamlessly.

Either rate - I HIGHLY recommend rope over steel cable. And I also recommend using a 600Amp solenoid to disconnect power (or a manual disconnect like flaming river - I used the Big Switch with lever exiting just under the right front turn signal to make a manual battery master disconnect on our Towed JK - on my Rubi I use a solenoid driven by a switch from the sPod) - live heavy guage wires on the bumper can be a MAJOR issue in even a "small" front end collision - not to mention can be very bad if used to vandalize the Jeep!!!!!!
Lots of information.

Thank You
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

Any opinions on this one?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_1310_07.htm
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

No opinion - but its more expensive, has a larger profile and draws more amperage at 5000 lb. than the viper max 13000. Also - the connections are UNDER the motor - much harder to service. check the viper out at moto alliance dot com...

That 10K is about the smallest I would go with a single battery setup.
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
No opinion - but its 100 bucks more expensive, has a larger profile and draws more amperage at 5000 lb. than the viper max 13000.

Thats about the smallest I would go with a single battery setup.
So I would assume that the Viper Max 13000 is better?
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

For me it was a better choice. Drawing 175 amps at 4000 lb loads the system a lot less than 220 amps at same load. That was important to me as low voltage issues and the JK computer don't mix well. Either one is a good choice but you should look at the manuals for each one - and compare the load at number of wraps, draw at load etc to make a decision that fits YOUR needs. And important to me was the rate - noot just to winch MY vehicle - but others! One of the rigs I wheel with comes in at 5500 when loaded!
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here are a couple write ups. Bishop knows his Jeeps, but my first thought was about how much MORE a winch weighs the heavier its capacity.

My Smitty saved me several times, but I opted for Warn's M8000 after a few years. Piece of mind is an issue when I'm alone in the Wilderness, and I didn't have that with the foreign made Smitty. That's just me.
(people flame about components of US made winches being Chinese, but that's beside the point)

http://www.4wheelparts.com/off-road/winchadvisor.aspx
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winch...sion-chart.htm

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you can afford a 2014 and a arb bumper you can afford a quality winch. Warn or ramsey! Like mentioned cheap ones work and sometimes they dont. But chances are that warns gonna work rain or shine, wet or dry. I got a used xd9000i and ive had it for years myself and it has never let me down ever!
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
Here are a couple write ups. Bishop knows his Jeeps, but my first thought was about how much MORE a winch weighs the heavier its capacity.

My Smitty saved me several times, but I opted for Warn's M8000 after a few years. Piece of mind is an issue when I'm alone in the Wilderness, and I didn't have that with the foreign made Smitty. That's just me.
(people flame about components of US made winches being Chinese, but that's beside the point)

http://www.4wheelparts.com/off-road/winchadvisor.aspx
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winch...sion-chart.htm
Thanks for the info. I'm a fan of Warn but looking at the Smitys also. I have a 4DR the jeep weighs just over 4k. How do you choose a winch? Do you double the weight?
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a warn vr8000 and it does what I ask. I'm happy with it.
blackwidow03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

I've decided on a Warn winch.

Thank You all for the advice & info
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make water proofing a priority. The Warn name alone won't prevent water damage. The bottom line Warn models are not waterproofed.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow03 View Post
I have a warn vr8000 and it does what I ask. I'm happy with it.
I have the same winch. Works for me. Doesn't work so well for those damn JKU's I'm always having to winch up the hill. If I knew I'd always be using it on someone else, those JKU's, I'd have gone a little stronger, 10K or 12K. But that is what the snatch block is for.

Definitely spend the $$ on synthetic rope. It costs more than cable, but the safety benefits seriously outweigh the lower costs of cable. An emergency room visit costs more than a new winch!
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

Im ordering a Warn Zeon 8000S.

Thank You all for the advice

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.