what type of lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what type of lift

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

what type of lift

I want to get a lift for my 2010 four door rubicon. I want to be able to wheel it in rocks but also want the road driving to stay the same. I was thinking of a 2-3" lift with 275/75/R17s. I know there different kind of lifts (long arm, sport, ect..) Can someone tell me what the different types of lifts are for?

Thanks,

jenniferjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

You shouldn't need any more than a 2" or at most a 2.5" lift with that tire size.

In that size range you will find simple and cheap ($300 range) "budget boost" kits that basically replace the factory springs, all the way up to short arm kits which are in the $1000 to $1500 range and will give you a more comprehensive (a little more engineering behind them) kit. I don't think anybody offers a true long arm kit in the 2" to 2.5" range but I may be wrong on that point.

A few points to consider:

1. As far as which one is best, any of us on here can only give an opinion based on our personal knowledge and use of a given suspension system and in my opinon the best way for you to get a good feel for what will work best for what you want to do is to talk to people in your local area who wheel in the areas that you want to wheel in (the same could be said for tires also).

2. Dollar for dollar you are better off buying a comprehensive kit designed by a single manufacturer, i.e. if what you want is currently out of your price range you will be better off saving for what you want instead of buying a BB from one company and trying to add other bits and pieces at a later date as funds become available.

3. Suspension systems are a get what you pay for proposition. At some point, to stay within a certain price point, something has got to give to save cost for the manufacturer. That could be the amount of time spent engineering a system, lack of component pieces or quality of materials.

For instance, there is a $700 price spread across the following three examples from one manufacturer and none of these systems comes with shocks. This variation in price points can get even more drastic when you start comparing systems designed by various manufacturers.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16156_0404.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16156_0414.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16156_0424.htm
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You don't mention a budget. I love my MC lift and have not seen a single bad review or complaint other than cost. With a 4dr you can get a 2.5" lift if your jeep is light, expect to get a little more lift.

MetalCloak Lifts

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Understood. But what is the purpose of a long arm kit vs. a "budget boost"? I do not have a budget. If I have to run stock untill I save the money to do it right thats what I will do. I just want to do the correct lift. Most of my wheeling will be done in rocks. So will the long arm give more articulation than a budget boost?
jenniferjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes a long arm kit will yield more articulation but they are typically run with bigger tires and more lift than you are planning. Budget Boost is as it's name implies the cheapest way to get a small lift. You should be looking for a good lift with springs and shocks instead of a budget boost. To play in rocks you should also add rock rails , diff covers, oil and trans skid plates.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Metal Cloak seems to be priced fairly for the quality of their products.

I have to ask though, what's up with the 2.5"/3.5" lift on almost all of the kits? Does that mean you might end up with either of those lifts, or is it based on spring rates?
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Never mind, I see they give you a choice in the drop down boxes when ordering. Very nice.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

The reason you see a lot of 2.5 to 3.5 on all the kits is because with the mid arm suspension of the JKs you can fun a lot of tire without a lot of lift. I run 37s with 3.5" of lift and flat fenders.

Long arms get bigger in inches because you lose some clearance.
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Yes a long arm kit will yield more articulation but they are typically run with bigger tires and more lift than you are planning. Budget Boost is as it's name implies the cheapest way to get a small lift. You should be looking for a good lift with springs and shocks instead of a budget boost. To play in rocks you should also add rock rails , diff covers, oil and trans skid plates.
it will yield no more articulation at all this is nonsense. Long arms are not needed nearly as much as they were on older jeeps. I wouldnt reccomend one unless going over 4" of lift...
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

"Long arms get bigger in inches because you lose some clearance."
They also get a helluva lot bigger in the cost/pocket book! For me it is a question of diminishing returns on investment.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Not if you fab them yourself....
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
wingit

I have this one. Check them out. I bought them because they try to improve both on and off road. Also because the design each system to the specific vehicle. You can't just buy a JK system. They dive deeper than that. They have a light system and a heavy system.

Here is a 2 in system rock crawling

How to choose which system
http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/old-man-...sion-selector/

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
roadrat

Here's 2.5" and 315/70/17's
roadrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.