What size tires and lift should I get on my 2011 Sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What size tires and lift should I get on my 2011 Sport?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
timmah1493

What size tires and lift should I get on my 2011 Sport?

Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my 2011 Wrangler Sport by getting bigger offroading tires. I have a few questions regarding this:

1) What size tires? I know this is a broad question, so let me elaborate. I would like to significantly enhance my Jeep's offroading capabilities without turning it into a complete monster truck. Price is not too big an issue, but obviously saving money is nice. So basically I'm looking for the happy medium. From what I have seen and read, my gut feeling would be to get 33 or 35 inch tires, but I'm not sure. From here, can anyone recommend good brands?

2) What size suspension lift? I don't want to risk any rubbing. What's the general rule for tire size vs lift size? Again, can anyone recommend good brands? There are so many different lift choices, how do you pick one?

3) With bigger tires, do I need to upgrade my axles or gearing? I've read I do and I've read I don't on different threads. If so, what should I be looking into?

Thanks in advance!

timmah1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

have you read the FAQ's.?
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Most people will tell you to go 35's and that would be the case if you had the Dana44 combo but you don't. With the D30 front axle the biggest i would go is 33in tires but that just my opinion.
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

just my humble opinion, but don't go to 35's unless you really want them, or really need them.

a lift of under 3" will suit you fine; look for a budget boost (coil spacers only) to either lift (same size front and back) or level (more front, less rear)

33's look/ fit nicely (I'm biased) with the jeep leveled (but you will likely want spacers for your stock wheels, or an aftermarket wheel with different backspacing to clear the suspension)

front leveling kit only, 33's

front leveling kit, plus 2" coils front and rear, 33's

I did not regear, and have been ok with the driveability of this combo as-is. most everyone will tell you you should regear when going to 35's (and many recommend it with 33's as well)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

lots of people run 35s on the d30 front axle, they say anything above and you should strongly consider moving up to a 44 for the front according to what i've read.

lots of people like teraflex/aev suspension it seems. I run BDS 3" on my sahara and like it. If i was doing it again though i would probably go with teraflex.

If you want to avoid replacing a lot of stuff, i would do anything more then a 3" lift. once you do more, more things need replaced.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
jepen
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
just my humble opinion, but don't go to 35's unless you really want them, or really need them.

a lift of under 3" will suit you fine; look for a budget boost (coil spacers only) to either lift (same size front and back) or level (more front, less rear)

33's look/ fit nicely (I'm biased) with the jeep leveled (but you will likely want spacers for your stock wheels, or an aftermarket wheel with different backspacing to clear the suspension)

front leveling kit only, 33's
Agreed. If you want 35's, get them otherwise you'll be kicking yourself every time you see a JK on 35's pass by. Otherwise, 33's do look great also.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

As a JK newbie, please check out the FAQs as a lot of your questions are addressed there. That said, get the size of tires you either need to show off (mall crawler or DD) or to off road the trails you want to. How you mod your JK depends on what kind of driving you want to do,and lift no more than needed to accommodate tires if you off-road to keep the COG low.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

So, my suggestion is to look up the thread where everyone is posting pics of there Jeeps. (there is one for 2dr and 4dr) find the the look you are going for i.e. tire, wheel, height combo etc and ask the owners what they run so you can replicate the look.. EVERYONE has their opinion but everyone is not you.. Let the mods begin.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Back when I had the JK, I ran 295/(?)/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers for a while. I also ended up with a broken front axle housing.

I personally think 33" tires look great on a JK and will meet "most" offroading needs while allowing for decent mpg.

If fuel economy isn't a concern, then go for 35"s.

Either way, I would recommend looking at some sleeves for the front axle. I am sure that the vast majority of people have not or possibly will not suffer a broken axle housing, but it can happen. And it doesn't take "hardcore" abuse for it to occur. That's just my own personal feeling.

When I get another JK, it's likely going to be 33"s after a while, but I'm going to invest in bumpers/recovery first.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

All good info-but

You don't say what your tranny is--stick/auto and

If auto, you're going to need regearing, even with 33" tires, if stick, you can run any gear you want to, but your MPG is goin DOWN-

My '08 JKUR runs 33.6" Hankooks/w regear and there's nowhere I can't go (he heh, be reasonable)-

I can get up to 18mpg and 14.9mpg towing--

Every jeep is different and every owner has different wants/needs---do a lotta homework-

As soon as you pick any tire larger than your stock 32" BFGs, your gonna wanna change many things-if auto, the tranny is a PITA/w stock gears--even 4.10 !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
if auto, the tranny is a PITA/w stock gears--even 4.10 !

Good luck

JIMBO
True dat! (if it is a 3.8L engine and associated auto tranny)
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
timmah1493

All great info guys, really appreciate it! Great pics too!

Going to do some more research, but this is a good start

Thanks!
timmah1493 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.