What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #106
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

BDS and Synergy makes a 2" spring kit for JKs. Plenty for 33s.
With flat fenders, 35s will fit great.

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #107
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

You don't need flat fenders with a 2" spring for 35s.

Go back to the TJ section.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #108
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lol ok. buh bye
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #109
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove View Post
Alright guys so I went up to a shop today in my town that specializes in Jeeps. They showed me 2 lifts that fit my price range-ORV 3.5" suspension lift and a Zone 3" suspension lift. I think I am going to go with the ORV 3.5" suspension lift. Have any of you heard about it or heard/read reviews/complaints? It is the best bang for my buck from my research.
Your jeep is going to look very weird with a 3.5" lift and 33s. Besides the fact that you will ruin the handling of it, you didn't actually gain any use out of it since your axles are still not any higher...so your none of categories for lifting the jeep get met.

1) Offroad effectiveness.....nope.
2) Appearance.....nope.
3) Added clearance? Nope.

Don't do it.

For offroading, you want the minimum whatever to get the job done. You want the biggest tire you can afford/run and just enough lift to clear them. That philosophy is the trademark of Nitto's Vengeance rig....

There is absolutely no need for a 3.5" lift in Florida, not to mention, with 33s. Unless you are climbing rocks the size of VW beetles, you are wasting your money. If you are lifting it to show off, then thats a different story.

I have 33s and just have a coil leveling kit.

Your ride will be skittish (especially on Florida's 75mph highways) and again, it will look extremely weird.
nfrs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #110
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Your jeep is going to look very weird with a 3.5" lift and 33s. Besides the fact that you will ruin the handling of it, you didn't actually gain any use out of it since your axles are still not any higher...so your none of categories for lifting the jeep get met.

1) Offroad effectiveness.....nope.
2) Appearance.....nope.
3) Added clearance? Nope.

Don't do it.

For offroading, you want the minimum whatever to get the job done. You want the biggest tire you can afford/run and just enough lift to clear them.
Theres some truthfulness there, and some silliness. Most advertised 2"-2.5" lifts yield3"-3.5" on a 2DR Wrangler.....the steering may be a little "flighty" if you don't get it aligned, and its true that it wont raise the clearance of your axles....but it does improve articulation and your rigs contact with the surface over uneven terrain....as to looks its perfectly fine. I don't think its good advice telling someone to get the biggest tires they can afford and a lift that just clears it.......because then you are negating a lot of the suspension travel with bump stops to prevent ripping your fenders all to ****.
My JK has a 2.5" RK lift with 33's that yields 3.25"....I've never had anyone say my jeep looks funny, and its crawled all over the West without issue.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #111
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
Theres some truthfulness there, and some silliness. Most advertised 2"-2.5" lifts yield3"-3.5" on a 2DR Wrangler.....the steering may be a little "flighty" if you don't get it aligned, and its true that it wont raise the clearance of your axles....but it does improve articulation and your rigs contact with the surface over uneven terrain....as to looks its perfectly fine. I don't think its good advice telling someone to get the biggest tires they can afford and a lift that just clears it.......because then you are negating a lot of the suspension travel with bump stops to prevent ripping your fenders all to ****.
My JK has a 2.5" RK lift with 33's that yields 3.25"....I've never had anyone say my jeep looks funny, and its crawled all over the West without issue.
Agreed. I run a 2.5 with 33's and it looks just fine. I have been able to run what trails i want just fine.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #112
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I think we are misunderstanding each other. My point was NOT to get the biggest tires and suspension to clear them, my point was that GENERALLY, when it comes to offroading, you want to deviate from the original geometry AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE to get the job done. As a primitive example...if you need a 1" lift to clear the most challenging obstacle, lifting it 4" is counter-productive. To your comment about ripping off fenders....if you tear your fenders off, then you didn't do enough to make clearance for tires. If you need 3" to clear 40s, you don't lift it 5". The same goes for sports cars. You don't drop your vehicle 5" when your optimal geometry is 0.5" lower or you don't set your shocks to concerete stiffness when you need wood stiffness. Now, that is for actual purpose built vehicles.

Many in here forgot the OPs original post. He stated that his vehicle is mostly for street and maybe a dirt road here and there. He doesn't live in Moab. A 3.5" lift will do NOTHING to improve his Wrangler and do a bunch of things that will make it worse. One of the biggest problems with some Jeep owners (not saying anyone here, just in general) is that they live in a brochure, and are not honest with themselves. Guys rolling around on 40" tires with 6" longarms, forgetting the fact that they live in NYC, and the largest obstacle is a road plate. Judging the the OPs first post, he isn't too knowledgable in Jeeps/jeep suspension. Thats not a problem at all, we all started somewhere. However, the issue comes from him not knowing the NEGATIVE aspects of having such a lift, the extra expense required to correct geometry, the extra stress on drive components, etc. No real mention of driveshaft issues, exhaust clearance issues, geometry correction (centering the axle), etc....to me personally, it's just simply bad advice.

Here is his original post just to put the above in context....

Quote:
I hardly have the opportunity to go off-road and my primary use is daily driving. I want to put a lift on it however (mostly for looks). I don't want more than a 3-4" lift. I am a newbie and don't know much
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #113
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

My post was simply in response to what you posted, maybe you mis-spoke, but some of what was posted was just factually incorrect. As to the end of your post, we are in agreement....look back over this thread and you will see several instances of me and several others telling the OP to strongly reconsider what he was thinking.
As to geometry....thas why you do your research and dont shop bargain basement....these lifts from RK, Metalcloak, Teraflex, AEV, Currie and a few others take all of that into consideration when putting together their lifts. Offroading is far more than tire size, its up and down travel, keeping all much tire on the surface as possible.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #114
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My post was simply in response to what you posted, maybe you mis-spoke, but some of what was posted was just factually incorrect. As to the end of your post, we are in agreement....look back over this thread and you will see several instances of me and several others telling the OP to strongly reconsider what he was thinking.
Fair enough. I'll chalk it up to my misstatement.

The pic of Vengeance I posted was just to illustrate that you can have a massively capable rig without excess. Obviously the OP is going for nothing like that, which is why my first post in this thread was advice to him that will give him what he is looking for....LOOKS. To get the appearance of lift without actually lifting, big tires stuffed under fenders "look" beefier than the same tires on a lifted Jeep. It's just an illusion due to a shift point of your frame of reference, and it works. 33s look big when stuffed at OEM height.

This post/pics say it all....look at how much smaller the tires look after the lift.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...l#post15416854
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #115
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Heres my Wife's on a 2.5" RK with 33"s.

For someone on flat land, running just mud or sand...I can understand the bigger tires....but that Nitto jeep looks dumb as hell, that thing may be fine in a farm field running through mud puddles, but there absolutely no articulation there...if he had fenders they'd be shredded on uneven terrain.......your wheels have to be able to move over the terrain. 33's are fine on a stock JK, as long as the wheels have enough backspacing...I'd not recommend it for serious offroading, but for the OP it'd be fine. And again, the bigger tires you stuff in there, the more bumpstop you need, negating a lot of reason for a lift.....there has to be balance...think about the concept of disconnecting your swaybar links or using an aftermarket solution like a Currie Anti Rock.....I understand, you don't want a jeep that looks like a clown car.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #116
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Heres my Wife's on a 2.5" RK with 33"s.

For someone on flat land, running just mud or sand...I can understand the bigger tires....but that Nitto jeep looks dumb as hell, that thing may be fine in a farm field running through mud puddles, but there absolutely no articulation there...if he had fenders they'd be shredded on uneven terrain.......your wheels have to be able to move over the terrain. 33's are fine on a stock JK, as long as the wheels have enough backspacing...I'd not recommend it for serious offroading, but for the OP it'd be fine. And again, the bigger tires you stuff in there, the more bumpstop you need, negating a lot of reason for a lift.....there has to be balance...think about the concept of disconnecting your swaybar links or using an aftermarket solution like a Currie Anti Rock.....I understand, you don't want a jeep that looks like a clown car.
That Jeep has 12" of travel. Articulation does NOT equal physical vehicle height.

Skip to 14:00.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #117
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do you bother reading what you post? Do you have any clue WTH you are talking about? Judging by your posts thus far no.....I've been pretty patient with you because I just assumed you mis=spoke, but the further we go in this discussion its getting more and more clear you really dont get it. Your posts in this thread to now have been full of things that just aren't factual, and thats very frustrating when people are trying to help someone make good decisions......WTF did I, or anyone say articulation = vehicle height? (I'll clue you in... NOWHERE). Articulation is about wheel travel (you know, where your tires go up and down, depending on terrain)....but go ahead....get the biggest tires you can afford and run, then get just enough lift to clear them...
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #118
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
if he had fenders they'd be shredded on uneven terrain
Thats what I said.....exact quote....but go ahead and recommend people get the biggest tires they can afford/run, and the least amount of lift to cover it.....then add in that they need to run without fenders.....oh, and don't forget to tell them that its street illegal, and probably 3x more expensive than a reasonable/quality lift.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #119
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you bother reading what you post? Do you have any clue WTH you are talking about? Judging by your posts thus far no.....I've been pretty patient with you because I just assumed you mis=spoke, but the further we go in this discussion its getting more and more clear you really dont get it. Your posts in this thread to now have been full of things that just aren't factual, and thats very frustrating when people are trying to help someone make good decisions......WTF did I, or anyone say articulation = vehicle height? (I'll clue you in... NOWHERE). Articulation is about wheel travel (you know, where your tires go up and down, depending on terrain)....but go ahead....get the biggest tires you can afford and run, then get just enough lift to clear them...
Whatever man, you constantly equate "LIFT" with "ARTICULATION" which is WRONG. Articulation is a byproduct of lift, but lift isn't a good thing...so you want to get MAXIMUM articulation with MINIMAL lift...which is what was done on the JK I posted. Get off your high horse.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #120
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats what I said.....exact quote....but go ahead and recommend people get the biggest tires they can afford/run, and the least amount of lift to cover it.....then add in that they need to run without fenders.....oh, and don't forget to tell them that its street illegal, and probably 3x more expensive than a reasonable/quality lift.
I didn't say "buy the most expensive big *** tires." I said buy the tires you want and do enough to clear their travel.

P.S. Florida doesn't require fenders.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.