What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Google rough country's quality. I have heard some issues with their lifts
It's pucks. Some of their springs have had problems in the past. They also have fixed those issues. RC makes good quality components.

dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just buy 1" coil spacers and run the 33s and you'll be fine with no extra mods needed.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just so I know I am not getting ripped off, what are yall's opinion on a decent charge for installation? I don't have the knowledge nor tools to install the lift myself.
RiseAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

And to be 100% correct, the 2.5" BB is NOT a body lift. It is a suspension lift right?
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove
And to be 100% correct, the 2.5" BB is NOT a body lift. It is a suspension lift right?
Correct. It is a spacer lift but a spacer that goes on top of each coil spring.
BB meaning Budget Boost.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed a 3'' rancho lift. Comes with a front adjustable track bar. and if you buy 4 rancho shocks, they give you back 300 bucks.
The lift with 4 9000 shocks cost me around 600 bucks. So far very pleased. Great ride and cant wait for my tires to come in.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Correct. It is a spacer lift but a spacer that goes on top of each coil spring.
BB meaning Budget Boost.
And do you have an idea of what a reasonable amount would be to get the BB installed? Thanks
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #38
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove View Post
Thanks for all of your input guys. I appreciate all the help. With my 33's I think a 2.5-3" lift would look great. If I were wanting a 5-6" lift I could see needing to upgrade to 35's but with only a 2-3" lift and my 33's being wide (315/what ever the other numbers are lol) I think it would look sharp. The only thing with the BB: does it drive "bouncy?" I have a friend that is a car salesman and he told me about people selling jeeps with body lifts and them driving really bouncy as if it werent done right. I guess my main question now is, will I have to change anything if I get the 2.5" BB? Or will I just get the lift and be good to go?
I ran 36s with a 3" lift

And am now at 4" with 37s, and still plenty of room for 40-42s

You really don't need any lift at all for 33s, but if you're going to, stick with a set of 2-2.5" coil spring spacers and a set of replacement shocks (BDS shocks are inexpensive and ride nicely).

Body lift is not necessary and not recommended.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #39
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove View Post
And do you have an idea of what a reasonable amount would be to get the BB installed? Thanks
Someone that knows what they're doing will charge you four hours and have it done in half of that. ~ $300-$350 labor. You CAN do it yourself. It is doable in an afternoon for even the most inexperienced wrencher. Gotta learn somehow
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #40
Drmudgood
1993 XJ Cherokee 

What Mol said. For what you would spend on installation, you can buy the tools you need and do it yourself. Like most things, its only scary until you actually try to do it. With all the experienced wrenchers on this forum and how to videos, theres no reason you couldnt handle this. If your smart enough to use your computer, you can handle a BB.
Drmudgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #41
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

My suggestions when doing it yourself are these - do not use shock extensions. Buy replacement shocks...there are several budget friendly shocks out there that are of good quality (TeraFlex and BDS are my two favorite inexpensive shocks).

When removing the shocks, if the nut on the post of the front shocks (upper) is seized up, channel your inner anger, and crank up and down on the shock body. The stock shock will snap pretty easily, and save you a lot of time and headache.

Don't remove your track bar. You don't need to, and will decrease the odds of developing "death wobble" by avoiding doing so.

Two 18mm wrenches, two 16mm wrenches, and one 15mm wrench is all you need. Oh and a 10mm wrench can disconnect the brake line bracket from the frame and give you plenty of slack, if youre worried. And a 19mm socket and ratchet with a 3" extension for removing the tires. And a set of jack stands and a jack.

If you don't have tools, now is great time to buy two sets of metric wrenches up to 21mm (one ratcheting 12 point set and one 6 point set). All of that plus the jack and stands will be about what you would pay in labor, and you're setting yourself up for future odd jobs
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #42
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmudgood View Post
What Mol said. For what you would spend on installation, you can buy the tools you need and do it yourself. Like most things, its only scary until you actually try to do it. With all the experienced wrenchers on this forum and how to videos, theres no reason you couldnt handle this. If your smart enough to use your computer, you can handle a BB.
X2. Google Terra flex 2.5" budget boost & one of the 1st items returned is a how to install video on YouTube. I'm no mechanic but I've installed my own BB as well as a 2.5" lift. Both were on TJ's, but its virtually identical to doing it on a JK.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #43
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good and I still like the rake, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankinyj View Post
Treat yourself to a Old Man Emu kit. Just get the standard with the springs and shocks. Get yourself a adjustable front trackbar, a track bar bracket for the rear, some rear extended sway bar links (use the old rear ones and put them on the fronts), cut the little brake line bracket (you can just grind a nice line across it and bend it open, how I did mine) in the front near the shock (no need for extended brake lines in the front anymore) and get yourself some brake line relocation brackets for the rear.

This is pretty much 100% what I did with my lift, and I'm 110% happy with it. Obviously you can choose what lift you want to put in yours, teh Old Man Emu was just a recommendation as it is a great lift for someone who uses their JK as a DD and weekend warrior

This is how my JK sits as of right now on my OME lift and 35's, dont mind the rake the driveway is sloped

Get rid of the "LITTLE" spare tire, it draws all the praise away from the rest of the jeep

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #44
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
My suggestions when doing it yourself are these - do not use shock extensions. Buy replacement shocks...there are several budget friendly shocks out there that are of good quality (TeraFlex and BDS are my two favorite inexpensive shocks).

When removing the shocks, if the nut on the post of the front shocks (upper) is seized up, channel your inner anger, and crank up and down on the shock body. The stock shock will snap pretty easily, and save you a lot of time and headache.

Don't remove your track bar. You don't need to, and will decrease the odds of developing "death wobble" by avoiding doing so.

Two 18mm wrenches, two 16mm wrenches, and one 15mm wrench is all you need. Oh and a 10mm wrench can disconnect the brake line bracket from the frame and give you plenty of slack, if youre worried. And a 19mm socket and ratchet with a 3" extension for removing the tires. And a set of jack stands and a jack.

If you don't have tools, now is great time to buy two sets of metric wrenches up to 21mm (one ratcheting 12 point set and one 6 point set). All of that plus the jack and stands will be about what you would pay in labor, and you're setting yourself up for future odd jobs
This is true. I will take this into deep consideration.
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #45
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

So what brand do yall prefer for the BB? Teraflex, Rough Country, something else? Can anyone send me a link...I may have been looking at the wrong lift, but I thought the Teraflex 2.5" BB is close to $900.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.