What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's?

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #16
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Treat yourself to a Old Man Emu kit. Just get the standard with the springs and shocks. Get yourself a adjustable front trackbar, a track bar bracket for the rear, some rear extended sway bar links (use the old rear ones and put them on the fronts), cut the little brake line bracket (you can just grind a nice line across it and bend it open, how I did mine) in the front near the shock (no need for extended brake lines in the front anymore) and get yourself some brake line relocation brackets for the rear.

This is pretty much 100% what I did with my lift, and I'm 110% happy with it. Obviously you can choose what lift you want to put in yours, teh Old Man Emu was just a recommendation as it is a great lift for someone who uses their JK as a DD and weekend warrior

This is how my JK sits as of right now on my OME lift and 35's, dont mind the rake the driveway is sloped

Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #17
jharkey

I'd go with some type of leveling kit Aev makes a 2 inch leveling kit.
jharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

After removing a body lift from my YJ and seeing the damage it did to both frame and body, I'll never install one. I'll probably get a BB when I upgrade wheels and tires though.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah after some research and yall's opinion, I am pretty much sold on the 2.5" BB. It actually adds some noticeable height and is perfect for someone like me that's not wanting to drop a grand into lifting my jeep. Can someone tell me though why the Rough Country is so much cheaper than the Teraflex? Is the quality that much of a difference or is it a different set up?
RiseAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some information people aren't telling you, you can't lift without doing anything. It's just not possibly. But I know what you mean, you don't want to do any other modifications. A budget boost is a great option for you. With a 2"-2.5" BB all you'll need is the pucks and shocks. Body lifts on JKs look hideous IMO.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Here's some information people aren't telling you, you can't lift without doing anything. It's just not possibly. But I know what you mean, you don't want to do any other modifications. A budget boost is a great option for you. With a 2"-2.5" BB all you'll need is the pucks and shocks. Body lifts on JKs look hideous IMO.

So with the 2.5" BB what additional modifications would need to be done?
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove

Well if you plan on offroading you should add bumpstop extensions.

Unread 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Also guys, an important question just dawned on me. I'm sure most of you haven't owned a jeep for 10+ years (maybe you have, I dont know) but at least have talked to guys that have or have the knowledge. My question is what are the long-term effects of having a lift? I am planning on keeping my Jeep for a WHILE and is a lift something that is going to wear on my jeep? Is it something I have to change out or get repaired every x amount of years? Thanks guys
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Well if you plan on offroading you should add bumpstop extensions.

There will be minimal offroading...just mainly daily driving and enjoying some back roads.
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Google rough country's quality. I have heard some issues with their lifts
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You won't have any long term issues with just a BB. Just watch for normal wear and tear.

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
mule75
2012 JK Wrangler 

Something that has not been mentioned is swapping out your springs for stock springs of a higher number stock spring.

First off you need to find out which springs you have. I had 15/55s (front/rear) and picked up 17/59s (for free with rubi shocks) and it lifted the little jeep about 2 inchs in all, and eliminated the rake as well. I love the stance, and the Jeep will do what ever I need it too.

This is with 285/70 17 Duratracs

And these can be had on the cheap, just check with your local 4x4 store, the place that people have no problem throwing $$$ at their mall crawler - and you can get the springs on the cheap.

Good Luck
mule75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove

Buying a complete BB (budget boost) like the TeraFlex 2.5"BB will be ALL you need for on or off road. It already comes with the extras the cheap kits like RC do not come with. The TF BB kit comes with all the same parts as their 2.5" spring lift which includes bumpstop extensions, extended swaybar links, brakelines drop brackets, trackbar relocation bracket, shock extensions and of course the spring spacers. All for under $400. These are tried and true kits.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsnmopars View Post
I thought the Rough Country was a good choice being its only $140 and the spacers are steel instead of some that are plastic. The 2.5" have allowed me to install 35's and I plan to install flat fenders and trim my pinch weld so flex shouldn't be an issue and as far as I am concerned the ride is great. With 33's there should be plenty of room and it should look great for room between the tires and the stock flares.
If you get the RC, then get a set of rear swaybar links and replace the front links with them. There will be a number of people who have them for sale after they replaced them when they put a bigger lift on their JK. Or contact a shop that installs lifts. They might sell the pair for $20.

You don't "have" to replace them, but I had the RC on mine with stock front links. They ride felt "twitchy" (every bump in the road got a short quick reaction). After replacing the front links with stock (taken off of a JK that had a 4" lift installed), the ride is noticeably improved.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #30
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove View Post
Yeah after some research and yall's opinion, I am pretty much sold on the 2.5" BB. It actually adds some noticeable height and is perfect for someone like me that's not wanting to drop a grand into lifting my jeep. Can someone tell me though why the Rough Country is so much cheaper than the Teraflex? Is the quality that much of a difference or is it a different set up?
I think TF has better shock extensions (IMHO, anyway) and comes with replacement rear swarbar links (longer rears, then move the existing rear to the front). It also comes with bumpstop extensions (needed if you plan to take it off road). Those 2 additions make it well worth the extra money.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.