What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

What lift for 2012 Jeep with 33's?

I just got my first jeep--2012 Jeep with 33's. I absolutely love it. I am not wanting to change much as I hardly have the opportunity to go off-road and my primary use is daily driving. I want to put a lift on it however (mostly for looks). I don't want more than a 3-4" lift. I am a newbie and don't know much so here are my questions:

1. Should I go suspension or body lift? I have hear suspension is better and bodylifts make the jeep "bouncy." Is a suspension lift worth the extra money?

2. How high of a lift can I get without changing anything? I don't want to modify a thing. I just want to get the lift and be good to go. I have read at a certain point you have to get lines, bars, etc. changed out.

3. With taking the two previous questions into consideration, what would you recommend for the best, most cost efficient lift?

Thanks!

photo-2.jpg   photo-1-copy.jpg  
RiseAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

What size tires do you want to run eventually. A 3-4'' lift can clear roughly 40's with flat flares.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

Get yourself a BB (budget boost). You will have folks telling you it isn't the best option but with stock springs and shocks I think it rides great. I do have to admit I had 0 miles on it prior to the lift and tires as I had them installed the day I bought it and moved to this from a YJ. Here is my Rough Country 2.5" spacers and 315/75/16's.
img_0321.jpg  
jeepsnmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
What size tires do you want to run eventually. A 3-4'' lift can clear roughly 40's with flat flares.
I want to keep the 33's I have. I don't plan on going any bigger due to gas prices.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsnmopars View Post
Get yourself a BB (budget boost). You will have folks telling you it isn't the best option but with stock springs and shocks I think it rides great. I do have to admit I had 0 miles on it prior to the lift and tires as I had them installed the day I bought it and moved to this from a YJ. Here is my Rough Country 2.5" spacers and 315/75/16's.
I have read from alot of people that they like the BB for beginners or people that just want a little lift, nothing extreme. I mean don't get me wrong a 6" lift would look BA but I can't afford that being a college student and just buying a 2012. Money is gone for now. lol

Is there a certain brand for the BB you recommend? I have seen Rubicon and Teraflex. I am assuming most brands make the BB its just preference? Also, did you notice a significant difference with only a 2.5" lift or is it hardly noticeable?
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

I thought the Rough Country was a good choice being its only $140 and the spacers are steel instead of some that are plastic. The 2.5" have allowed me to install 35's and I plan to install flat fenders and trim my pinch weld so flex shouldn't be an issue and as far as I am concerned the ride is great. With 33's there should be plenty of room and it should look great for room between the tires and the stock flares.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove View Post
I want to keep the 33's I have. I don't plan on going any bigger due to gas prices.
I would keep what you have them just because a large lift and 33's doesnt look right. If anything, be cheap and get a body lift just since your keeping 33's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAbove View Post
I have read from alot of people that they like the BB for beginners or people that just want a little lift, nothing extreme. I mean don't get me wrong a 6" lift would look BA but I can't afford that being a college student and just buying a 2012. Money is gone for now. lol
I know what you mean, im in the same boat, being a college kid sucks.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
I would keep what you have them just because a large lift and 33's doesnt look right. If anything, be cheap and get a body lift just since your keeping 33's

I know what you mean, im in the same boat, being a college kid sucks.
So would you go with the 2.5 BB or a 3" suspension lift? The BB is a body lift correct?
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I personally, if you want a lift would only go with a 1'' body lift. But if you want to go 2.5" than go for the teraflex budget boost. But i would advise you to look at pictures of a 2.5" lift and 33's to see if you would like that combo.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

The BB is spacers above your current springs. Look up the 2.5" entry level lift by Rough Country on their site. That is what I got for $140.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you don't ever plan on off raiding then I would stick with just a leveling kit and cal it good but if you really want to have it sit higher for looks then go with a budget boost which is nothing more than spacer that sit on top of your stock springs and some adapters to make your stock shocks longer... This is not a body lift and in my opinion is much easier to install than a body lift to. You can get these lift from 1.5in up to 3in it all depends on the look you like! Just for reference here is mine with a 2.5 in sping lift with 33s(pretty much the same as a budget boost) but I do plan on going to a 35in tire down the road!
2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

I paid $99 for my RC Steel galvanized 2.5" lift and that was over 3years ago-

Here's a pic with 33" Hankooks and Bushwacker "pocket" flares-

Now the shocks LCAs and the quality of your coil springs will make all the diff. in the world---I can't comment on RCs shocks/springs-etc

With proper bumpstops and shock lengths, extended brake lines--the BB can hang in there with the best !

It's never simple, you can't just add one item, without influencing many more-

Do a lotta homework-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all of your input guys. I appreciate all the help. With my 33's I think a 2.5-3" lift would look great. If I were wanting a 5-6" lift I could see needing to upgrade to 35's but with only a 2-3" lift and my 33's being wide (315/what ever the other numbers are lol) I think it would look sharp. The only thing with the BB: does it drive "bouncy?" I have a friend that is a car salesman and he told me about people selling jeeps with body lifts and them driving really bouncy as if it werent done right. I guess my main question now is, will I have to change anything if I get the 2.5" BB? Or will I just get the lift and be good to go?
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
RiseAbove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buns79 View Post
If you don't ever plan on off raiding then I would stick with just a leveling kit and cal it good but if you really want to have it sit higher for looks then go with a budget boost which is nothing more than spacer that sit on top of your stock springs and some adapters to make your stock shocks longer... This is not a body lift and in my opinion is much easier to install than a body lift to. You can get these lift from 1.5in up to 3in it all depends on the look you like! Just for reference here is mine with a 2.5 in sping lift with 33s(pretty much the same as a budget boost) but I do plan on going to a 35in tire down the road!
Just saw where you said the BB is not a body lift...that answers that question
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #15
Matoskah
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would NOT put a body lift. A two inch Poly Kit will do the trick!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.