What kind of off road tires can i fit on my stock JK Sahara Unlimited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What kind of off road tires can i fit on my stock JK Sahara Unlimited

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I ditched the KM2s, btw, and got Cooper Discoverer STTs in 285/75-16.

The Sahara's 18" wheels and Duelers are an abomination unto the Jeep brand.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
northeastern
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru318 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

If I wanted to put 35's, other than a lift and spacers, what else would I need?

Is it necessary to regear? I read that in the FAQ section that for automatics, installing 35's means you need to regear from 4.10 to 4.88. Is that necessary or just a suggestion?

Thanks
For 35's you will need to re gear, i've read it can handle 33's w/o re gearing but i am not sure... the charts found in the sticky's says that a lot of jeeps come stock in the bottom of the yellow and that seems odd to me. but i dont know.
northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've got 35/12.50/18 KM2s on stock rims (painted) with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers and a 2.5" BB. No problems. See gallery pics.

Mods:

3.5” Skyjacker lift / Currie adjustable control arms (all 8) / Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer /
Poly Performance front and rear track bar relocation kits RHD / Poly Performance high steer kit with drag link flip adapter / 35/12.50/18 BFG Mud Terrain tires on stock painted rims with 1.5” Spidertrax wheel spacers / 5.13 Superior Gears front and rear /gear ratio, tire size and 91 octane performance adjusted with Superchips controller / ARB differential covers / Skid Row front skid plate / Mopar undercarriage skid plates (stock in Japan) / Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers front and rear with rear tire carrier / High Lift Jack mounted on rear bumper (when off roading) / Smittybuilt black D-Rings front and rear / Rampage Products Convertible Side Bar/Rocker Guards / AEV Heat Reduction Hood with AEV Snorkel / 1” over fender extensions / KC running lights on windshield and front bumper / Stubby antenna in black/ Warrior Products Mirror Relocation Brackets when doors are off / Meiwa Ultra Performance Muffler / B & M transmission cooler / Quadratec Ultimate Front Floor Liners / Off Road Heroes Soft Top / Daystar Hood latches and spare tire bump stops / Glass lens headlights with H-4 bulbs (stock in Japan) – headlight and fog bulbs changed to Sylvania Silverstars / Off Road guards for headlights, fog lights and tail lights / MS Plus Navigation System / rear seat removed (1st mod) / and other stuff I can’t remember now

Next: Change the junk Skyjacker Nitro shocks to Bilstein 5100s (on back order now per Dave at Northridge) and change the junk Skyjacker sway bar disconnects to JKS.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcOGjlq3YtGLj

http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=998

http://rogueownersgroup.com/MemberPage.aspx?id=10

Doing it on the left side in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Japan.

Riding a motorcycle is the only time in my existence when I can completely lose myself only to find myself.

It's not the destination.........

It's the ride!
AJ in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
northeastern
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ in Japan View Post
I've got 35/12.50/18 KM2s on stock rims (painted) with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers and a 2.5" BB. No problems. See gallery pics.
Did you do your rims yourself? Got a write up? I like them a lot... I've been thinking about painting my rims.
northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not to highjack the thread either but just a quick question. I am having my 35s installed next Friday (I have 1.5 wheel spacers) and doing the lift on Saturday. Will the drive home on Friday with the 35s and no lift damage my Jeep or tires?
jarrod318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
ekpowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpoint83 View Post
As far as tires go, it does not sound like you will do any extreme off roading. With that being said, I would check out the BFG KO's. They are great on road, and in sand. In thick mud they tend to have trouble cleaning, but overall they are great. Also as it being said, for the price of 18" tires you can almost buy 16" tires and rims. Thats personally what I did on my sahara.
I ran the GY Duractrac 295/65/18s on aftermarket 18x9 wheels with 5.5" backspacing and no lift for a while. No rubbing. Just had to trim the plastic air dam. However, after lifting, etc. they were just too small. I ran it for a year on the 3.73 gears and then regeared to 4.88s. It was going to cost me about $350/ea for good 35" tires for the 18" wheels because I needed to go with 285/75/18s because the wheels didn't have enough backspacing for 12.5 wide tires, and there are only about 3 to chose from in this size. I didn't want to use wheel spacers.

I agee with flashpoint83, get rid of th 18" wheels and drop down to 16". You can get some 16x8 steel wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 33" tires for now for about the same price or a shade more than finding the 33" tires you want for the 18" wheels. And then when you do lift it and want to go bigger the tires are so much cheaper. I just put on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and BFG AT KOs 315/75/16 (they are about 34.25" mounted on the wheels) for $1200 for 5 wheels/tires (I did trade the old ones in) vs over $1800 for just the tires alone had I kept the 18" wheels. The ride is way better on the smaller wheels and bigger tires also.
ekpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #22
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
Did you do your rims yourself? Got a write up? I like them a lot... I've been thinking about painting my rims.
No. I had them done by a pro painter.

Mods:

3.5” Skyjacker lift / Currie adjustable control arms (all 8) / Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer /
Poly Performance front and rear track bar relocation kits RHD / Poly Performance high steer kit with drag link flip adapter / 35/12.50/18 BFG Mud Terrain tires on stock painted rims with 1.5” Spidertrax wheel spacers / 5.13 Superior Gears front and rear /gear ratio, tire size and 91 octane performance adjusted with Superchips controller / ARB differential covers / Skid Row front skid plate / Mopar undercarriage skid plates (stock in Japan) / Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers front and rear with rear tire carrier / High Lift Jack mounted on rear bumper (when off roading) / Smittybuilt black D-Rings front and rear / Rampage Products Convertible Side Bar/Rocker Guards / AEV Heat Reduction Hood with AEV Snorkel / 1” over fender extensions / KC running lights on windshield and front bumper / Stubby antenna in black/ Warrior Products Mirror Relocation Brackets when doors are off / Meiwa Ultra Performance Muffler / B & M transmission cooler / Quadratec Ultimate Front Floor Liners / Off Road Heroes Soft Top / Daystar Hood latches and spare tire bump stops / Glass lens headlights with H-4 bulbs (stock in Japan) – headlight and fog bulbs changed to Sylvania Silverstars / Off Road guards for headlights, fog lights and tail lights / MS Plus Navigation System / rear seat removed (1st mod) / and other stuff I can’t remember now

Next: Change the junk Skyjacker Nitro shocks to Bilstein 5100s (on back order now per Dave at Northridge) and change the junk Skyjacker sway bar disconnects to JKS.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcOGjlq3YtGLj

http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=998

http://rogueownersgroup.com/MemberPage.aspx?id=10

Doing it on the left side in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Japan.

Riding a motorcycle is the only time in my existence when I can completely lose myself only to find myself.

It's not the destination.........

It's the ride!
AJ in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
2007UnlimitedNJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

I decided to go with 275/70 R18 GY Duratracs (kept original rims) I already had a 2in lift, but the width is what rubs. I went a little overkill, but love the look with 1.5 in spacers.

I love these tires!

Sorry about the three pics. Using my phone to post and cant delete.
forumrunner_20120325_190307.jpg   forumrunner_20120325_190334.jpg   forumrunner_20120325_190356.jpg  
2007UnlimitedNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
CaptnGus
2008 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=McKBrew;9203992]I have Nitto Terra Grapplers. Decent looking and cheap.

+1 for Nitto Terra Grapplers. I got a set in 265/70-18 for my Sahara. I have stock wheels and no lift.

Tags
JK Wrangler , reviews , stock suspension , tire choice , tires , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.