What kind of antifreeze/coolant? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What kind of antifreeze/coolant?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
goldsmith17
2008 JK Wrangler 

What kind of antifreeze/coolant?

What kind of coolant do you use? The manual says to use the HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology). Any coolant i see doesn't have this, so my question is is it just a Mopar thing or do I actually have to go to the dealer and get this? Just want to make sure before I go and add an 'any make any model' type stuff to it.
thanks

goldsmith17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Slenny
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's Zerex G-05 that you need. I found it at Napa and don't remember the price but I'm sure you can get it at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership but it probably be more expensive. They say don't mix any other coolant because it will cause it to turn to sludge and mess everything up.
Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

HYBRED organic (HOAT) , not full organic (OAT) nor the old high silicate which is rare anymore. Most coolant manufacturers websites will tell you the formula and compatability w/ todays coolants. Aluminum heads coupled w/ iron blocks and resulting gaskets makes coolant VERY important the the correct type is used and kept in "balance" w/o becoming to acidic. Doubtful it's "lifetime" that's : your's mine, the vehicles or just the warranty? USe the correct type w/ distilled water and check w/ "dip sticks" at least every few years! No the common advertised: "ALL MAKES ALL MODELS is NOT the correct application!
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

I checked the FSM and among other things it says: “The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol based coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended... Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze…

I think the key here is they specifically state to use MS-9769 anti-freeze.

Prestone Extended Life 5/150 states it meets: “property and performance specification requirements of Daimler Chrysler MS-7170, MS-9769”.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) is a combination of IAT and OAT with
nitrites added. This makes HOAT suitable for use in both light duty and heavy
duty systems. Currently, two manufacturers are using HOAT for their vehicles.
Daimler/Chrysler's version is dyed orange and contains 10% recycled antifreeze.
Ford Motor Company’s version is dyed yellow and does not contain any recycled
antifreeze. Both of these HOAT antifreezes use the marketing designator of GO-
5. They are compatible with each other but mixing them with IAT or OAT is not
recommended. The normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000
miles (250,000 km).

Tags
antifreeze , coolant , JK Wrangler , mopar antifreeze , Specifications , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.