What Jeep to Buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What Jeep to Buy?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Firefighter337

What Jeep to Buy?

I currently have a 2004 Dakota Single Cab 4x4. And now I am looking at getting a Jeep as my new everydayer.

I love the new style 2 and 4 door but I have settled on a Black on Chrome 2 door. I like the look of a Black Jeep with Chrome accents.

My question is: Which one to buy? X, Sahara, or Rubicon?

Preplanned Mods:
* 2-3" Lift - opinions welcomed
* Chrome Tubular Bumpers - Front and Back
* Chrome Tubular Running boards
* Chrome Wheel set up - Tire dia. I'd like atleast a 33"

I see that the X has different packages:
B - Bone Stock
C - Cloth seats with adjustable head restraints
Climate Control Options
- Air conditioning
Additional Options
- Height-adjustable driver's seat
- Footwell courtesy lamp
- Full-length floor console
- Underhood lamp
S-Cloth seats with adjustable head restraints
Tires
- P245/75R16 Black Side Wall on-/off-road tires
Wheels
- 16" aluminum wheels
Climate Control Options
- Air conditioning
Additional Options
- 2 front tow hooks and 1 rear tow hook
- Fog lamps
- Height-adjustable driver's seat
- Footwell courtesy lamp
- Full-length floor console
- Underhood lamp
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Speed control
- Temperature and compass gauge

Also, What are the major difference's in the: X, Sahara and Rubicon?

Thank you in advance for your help.

FF337

Firefighter337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
billycj7

here is my rationale:

Rubicon- Great right outta the box, Its better to have all the lockers, 4:1 t-case, dana 44s front n rear and the electric disco standard as well as the upgrade tires and heavy duty rated springs. Even better, its under warranty. you can take it right out and wheel the hell out of it and impress your friends. Its a litle more expensive but iF you figured out how much it would take to convert your X model to be equivalent, it would cost much more and not be under warranty. Plus: the mods that you make to those listed below will come out of your pocket, whereas the extra cost for the rubi is just in your monthly payment.

Sahara. This is a great middle point, it has great comfort features and can be had with many of the same options but still, not as capable as the rubicon, but if you are not going to wheel it, it looks best all dressed up as a street cruiser and mild off-road machine. In janruary you should be able to order it with the elec disco sway bar.

X-model. Buy this if you are going to be upgrading most of the axles, t-case and lockers. It is a great building point and even better if this is what your budget allows. You can slowly build it up but just remember, the more that you add, the closer you get to warranty problems.

I built a 2003 Sport Wrangler with currie hp front and rears, put in an atlas and changed the gears and added the detroit lockers, put on a 5.5 Rubicon express long arm and multiple other things. It was a about 6 months old and already out of warranty due to my modifications. (axles, t-case, tranny, motor and any suspension parts, not to mention the driveshafts and exhaust that was cut for the lift. The frame was outta warranty from cutting off the upper control arm mounts) . I had about 36 grand invested in it at that point. Now I can buy a fully loaded rubi for about 27k with mygig and it will all be under warranty even if I just put a mild 3-4 inch lift on it.

lesson: money spent= lesson learned.

this is just my theory and I dont wanna get flamed if somebody else doesnt agree with it.

Good luck on your decision
billycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Firefighter337

That is an awesome view. Thanks.

I spoke to the dealership a couple of months ago. They said "anything UPTO a 3" lift will NOT void any warranty" .....even larger wheel and tire size will not effect the warrany either.

I think a Rubicon is what I am looking for then. Great idea.

07' Black Rubicon
3" Lift
18" Wheels
33-35" Tires
Tubular Chrome Bumpers and Running Boards

Any problems with that?
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
billycj7

Im a firefighter / Paramedic too. U know what they say, go big!
billycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
Firefighter337

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycj7
Im a firefighter / Paramedic too. U know what they say, go big!
Thats awesome. Im working now. I finish EMT school in May, CAN NOT WAIT.
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You're not planning on taking this offroad a lot, are you?

You'll never regret having gone with the rRubicon package, and it will keep it's value well.

I wouldn't spend any extra $ to get larger rims, to go with your larger tires.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Mike_Engle

If you want durability, quality and all around better looking polished stainless steel is a much better way to go then chrome. Chrome just rust's to easy after a fer dings and scratches hit it. Polished stainless you can pretty much buff out if the scratch's and dings are not to deep. JMHO YMMV.
Mike_Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Firefighter337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Engle
If you want durability, quality and all around better looking polished stainless steel is a much better way to go then chrome. Chrome just rust's to easy after a fer dings and scratches hit it. Polished stainless you can pretty much buff out if the scratch's and dings are not to deep. JMHO YMMV.

My partner just said that. Stainless>Chrome

I HAVE TO GET THIS JEEP NOW!
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There are different grades of stainless. A lot of it will still rust (sadly).

Welcome to the forum..... go get this thing, and post pics!
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think just based on the fact that you want to dress it out then the Sahara is the one for you. It's the only one that comes with painted fenders. And it comes with some side steps. While they're not chrome, they're better than nothing.

Unless you're seriously going to be doing hard core off-roading then you don't need the Rubicons lockers. The factory brake traction control will get the X and Sahara through most anything the Rubicon will. One reviewer from the initial Rubicon trail ride (press run) only used the lockers 5 times. The BTC worked it's magic the rest of the time.

Stepping up to a Rubicon will get you f/r lockers, 4:1 xfer case, rock rails, D44 front, 4.10 gears, the elec sway bar disco, and MT tires. (The elec sway bar disco and rear locker will be available on the X and Sahara at some point in the future.)

On the flip side. The Sahara comes with painted fenders, side steps, power widows / locks / alarm, tinted windows. All of which are options on the Rubicon and X models. Also the Sahara comes with the same size tire as the Rubicon, but it's an AT and the 6-speeds come with 3.21 gears. The 4.10 is an option on the 6-speed, or it comes standard if you get an auto.

You can also get 18" on the Sahara only, and those also come with 32" AT tires.

In any case then I'd definitely get the Sahara or Rubicon just for the stain / odor resistant seats. My old man was a fire fighter for 32 1/2 years and his truck smelled like he'd been at a fire for months, and months after he retired.

In reality, you need to go jeep.com and compare the 3 side by side to see which has what you need / want, then go to edmunds.com or kbb.com to build one up and check the invoice price so you know what you're working with.
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #11
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

chrome bumpers = gay , don't go this route if you plan to go offroad and if thats not the case don't waste $$ on a Rubicon.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.