what to do next with the new rubi - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what to do next with the new rubi

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #91
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Replaced the plastic bushing on the 4wd lever with something a bit more durable

all taken apart

after getting the shift knob off and disconnecting the power inverter and cig lighter thing, plastic came right out

super cheap plastic

the shifting process is so much better now. Reminded me of the difference when I put brass shifter bushings in my old car.

Also finally got the rear track bar bracket welded to my axle, have a RR front skid that's waiting to go in as well. Jeep is trail ready again. Put in the skyjacker rear brake line brackets to give me the clearance I needed from a flex stand point.

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #92
yellowjp79
2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome Jeep Bro! I can't wait to get under mine and jack her up.
2008 JK 2 DR Steel Blue Rubicon: 3.5" Suspension lift, Adjustable front and rear track bars, Smittybilt SRC Rock Sliders, 325/65/18 ProComp Xtreme AT 18x9" KMC Monsters, Warn Elite Series Front Bumper w/ Smittybilt X2O 8000 Winch
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/y...build-1367636/
yellowjp79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #93
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

So I got curious and decided to plasti dip my grill tonight. Pretty cool stuff. Seems durable, I'll be driving two hrs down to ocala tomorrow morning, wheelin at hardrock, and driving back. Should be interesting to see how it holds up.

No grill...

Ready for hardrock tomorrow!
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #94
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's cool man. I wa thinking of doing my door handles. Just to give them life. I hate the look of fading plastic. I know it's a jeep but hate that look lol. I don't mind scratches on new plastic but white ugly plastic, now way man!
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #95
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

rubi did really well out at the rock quarry.

Still need to install my front skid, order my snorkel and work on getting the inside bedlined, but she's almost done!
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #96
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

hows she handle hardrock now? we both have totally different capabilities since we last wheeled together. need to get up with ya'll again soon

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #97
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ View Post
hows she handle hardrock now? we both have totally different capabilities since we last wheeled together. need to get up with ya'll again soon
Hardrock was awesome. The added clearance is probably the biggest difference. It handled everything I asked it to do. Only one hill I wasn't able to get up that I tried. I wasn't even sure I'd make it up anyways haha. Hoping to get a little trip together to go up to NC or somewhere around there for some mountain wheelin and see how she does up there. From what I'm told hardrock and ocala have basically the most serious wheelin in florida other than driving through the swamp, which I'm not really set up for.

I'm gonna be down visiting my family over memorial day weekend, they're off exit 98 on I-4, maybe we can get together then. My sister is gonna be in town from NYC and wants to see if we can go out and have some fun in the jeep too.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #98
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

yeah man. holler. camping at hardrock saturday night, but friday, sunday, and monday we'll be around. maybe hit up 5a if it isn't underwater by then

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #99
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

So its been sometime, some updates.

Busted my winch rope, need to replace that. Looking for a new steel cable, figure I'll probably smoke that one in the future so its less expensive than synthetic. Had an awful screeching coming from the right rear wheel. Well after just over 20k miles the pads were shot. Gotta say I'm pretty surprised about that

I ordered my RR snorkel, still waiting for that to get in.

Got some rust on the bottom of the jeep, skid plates, rock sliders, some of the brackets and spring perches, etc. Gonna hit them with some sand paper and high temp krylon this weekend as well.
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #100
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

So I'm installing my rugged ridge snorkel this weekend, thanks again to Jason at krawl-offroad for hooking it up with my jeep parts.

So now that I've made the advertisement, what kind of silicone sealant do I need for the snorkel? Got some ge kitchen and bathroom clear sealant from home depot. Seems like for this application it should be good. Any input is appreciated.
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #101
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Keeping the thread alive, tons of pics. So I installed the snorkel and a bunch of other items. Here's some pics of the snorkel install

Took the old box out.

Had to take the fender off to get it all installed.

This tap would need to be cut off, other than drilling out a few welds, its the old altercation to the vehicle needed.

Here you can see where the system is routing your airflow.

Cut and painted, almost done.

Installed...

So I have had this thing on for a while now. I've since turned the opening of the intake towards the windshield. The filter sits right above the opening into the bottom of the airbox and there's a black circle where it does all the filtering. Really trying to find a way to make sure I keep the dirt intake at a minimum. Additionally, this thing does make some kinda cool noises, to be expected when you add a more restrictive (in my opinion) intake. I'm very happy with how it looks and works, I have some video of wheeling since the install and its allowed me to feel much more comfortable. I do need to see if I can get a waterproof seal around the airbox by using hylomar blue.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #102
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

These pics and videos from here mark the start and persistence of death wobble...

Got stuck in a whole that was rutted out by a rig with 44's

Thats my front end after getting pulled out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcS1...e_gdata_player

Thats the short clip of me getting stuck, next is the 4dr supercharged rubi on 37s that pulled me out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_R2...e_gdata_player

Now here's a good shot of the water line on the side of my rig.

This guy pulled me out....

So not too long after I got stuck and eventually ripped out of there, this happened...

Ok, no big deal I think. You don't really need a steering stabilizer, but I'll replace with with an aftermarket one. So I buy the procomp steering stabilizer. This thing is a piece of garbage. Do not buy one, it is literally a waste of money. The shock breaks every month due simply to street driving, you can get it replaced, but its such a PIA to have to constantly replace a crappy product. This did however clue me into some issues developing on my rig. My trackbar bolts were not fully torqued down. I checked them shortly after the lift install but not that often after. Well I developed death wobble and its a nightmare. Most people (jeep people included) around here don't really know what it is. So its been a challenge to fix this mess. Well I tighten up everything, feel pretty good, get the alignment set and go wheelin again. Here's some pics..

Have some good fun, get all kinds of mud stuck inside my wheel. That throws my wheels and tires out of balance, get a nice shimmy/wobble/vibration on the way home. I ended up removing an obscene amount of mud from the wheels and then not too much later death wobble came back and now I can't drive on the highway.
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #103
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Today I got the class 10.9 bolts I ordered from fastenal to put through my trackbar mounting brackets. Cost $25 for both including shipping. I needed to order new ones because the factory bolts were not long enough to get a nut to thread on bc I welded some washers together and to the brackets to eliminate the play in that poorly designed joint.

here's what the washer sleeve looks like....

Here's the new bolt. Right now I've got a weaker class 8.8 in there which I'm worried about.

And I hit 30k on the jeep today...

After I hopefully get these in with no issues I'll be building a new draglink bc e passenger side end is bad. After that I'll looking at possibly building a better tierod and maybe ordering lower control arms (lca's) to get my caster into spec.

Tags
death wobble , lift , offroad , rubicon , snorkel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.