what to do next with the new rubi - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what to do next with the new rubi

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #61
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
the rubi comes with the evap skid.
what?

Thanks for that pic. So it still needs a little work no matter what. Now the question becomes should I keep the stock airdam or replace it with the front skid and just make it fit...hmmmmm

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #62
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well the stock plastic one as said is for mpg, for what its worth, like putting a air dam on a brick. The RR front skid is solid, it has saved my E.sway x2. The last time i was out in the rocks a tire rolled off a rock, dropped the jeep right on the spot that would have been that cast case of e sway. So is it worth getting, yes. Would i get the RR again? perhaps not. It was one of those first mods, after finding where it was from, perhaps why it needed some modding to work right or could damage the e sway if used with out cutting that 1/2x 1- 3/4 on skids lip to clear the esway.

The good about its design, it fits as tight as you can get. You have to cut off gride the lower support of the Jeep. In 012's the over metal on the lower is made long and the cross is welded. leaves a non box edge. You will have to cut/ grind and refinish this area of the frame anyway.

Now the plate fixes at frame level, it still wont fit. Cut a notch as I said. Best way to clearance the shield is after you fix frame as per instruction. put it up there with just the bottom bolts DO NOT tighten, just tighten to the point you can see the rear lip of it hitting the castting of the esway, grind/cut that area out. Will not weaken that heavy plate enough to worry about, i have set mine on it with hardly a ding. They could have made that bend a bit less or longer out, RR you guys have a tape measure?

The next BIG undercarage thing to do is the oil pan/trans plate, if you take it out where you could get hung up.

On 012's autos i think its should be a must do. To much that can be hit down there that will leave you Walking. if you lifted a 2door 012 auto you removed the Jeep Rubi's trans skid/brace that was stock it was worthless anyway. You moved the Y pipe back . I like the River Raider setup. Its not from china. Its design gives you a snag free slide area, protects the Y pipe cross over and is part of the frame.
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #63
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

so if you weren't going to get it, what would you get? It doesn't seem like a great idea to leave disco case exposed...

An oil pan skid and heavier duty fuel tank skid are on my wish list, but there's a lot more that will need to be done before those come around.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #64
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ordered the winch and bumper, should be in tomorrow. Getting installed this weekend *joy*
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #65
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bumper and winch came in today.

Any special tools I need? Think I read something about a bracket for the winch solenoid?
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #66
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Installing the bumper and winch right now. While I was under the jeep I found this damaged stabilizer. Any thoughts?
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #67
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

That SS is thrashed! but I got the skyjacker one when my stock one went, havent had any problems yet and the price isnt bad
Colorado Jeep Club Member #265
SirWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #68
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

moog super trail boss on mine. dunno about you jk weirdos tho

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #69
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

That's the plastic tubing on the opposite end of the shock. Underneath is the metal rod.
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #70
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well the stabilizer is not a concern right now. The extra help here tonight snapped the yellow power cable stud on the winch. Tomorrow is gonna be full of errands.
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #71
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

So my lift finally came in. Got the word and headed to the shop! Got some pics from the early part of the install. Me and my buddy both ordered the rock krawler 2.5 stock mod lift. Paired the coils with bilstein 5100's. Pretty freaking excited.

Front end is coming apart nicely

Pretty much all taken apart now

Old vs new track bar above, and some adjustments to the front sway bar.

Had to use a honing bit and then a dremel to make the hole in the sway bar big enough for the bolt that comes with the new extended swaybar disconnects
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #72
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Front end is done

Working on the back end now

This was a huge pain in the butt.

Finished and next to my friends stock (for the moment unlimited)

Got home not too long ago, some last pics here.

Hooray clearance.

I'll post up some notes from the install and first impressions once i finish dinner and some celebratory beers
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #73
carmelk6
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice thread. Lift Looks great. Nicely done. Considering the same lift or the OME.
howd u settle on that one?
carmelk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #74
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

looks good. now you need bigger tires

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #75
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Some notes about the install:

The front was probably the most time consuming the first time around. Had to snip a couple of plastic clips that were holding some electrical wiring near the wheels. Also had to pull the breather line down and take the bracket that holds the brake lines to the axle out so I could drop the axel enough to get the new springs in. The shocks came with some rubber bushings, I wasn't able to use both and still get the nut on top to thread. So I used the new bushing on the bottom and reused the factory one from the top, gave me just enough thread to get it to grab, jacked the axle up and it went smoothly after that. Having a dremel for the install is def a must. I needed it to bore out the holes on the sway bar for the new links and also in the rear for the new holes that needed to be drilled for the bracket back there. Having two floor jacks was also really nice to have when it came to getting the axle to the right height for either taking apart or reassembling the various pieces.

The directions were pretty straight forward, with the stock mod install you actually skip a lot of the steps bc they're for the other lifts that RK sells. For the front, there is one spot that can be confusing. The directions tell you to install the new track bar in a new hole that is mounted on the axle, there is no such hole, we thought for a while it might be the bracket that came with the kit, but upon further review that clearly was meant for the rear. The track bar itself was probably the most challenging part of the install in the front. Making sure you have an even number of threads on either side, make sure it even fits at all back in is sometimes challenging. Getting the jam nuts tight without twisting the other joints and changing the length of the overall bar took some work to finally get it right. After that everything just goes right back in and buttons up fine.

As for the rear, this was very easy except for the drilling of the holes in the old track bar bracket. There's some awkward angles that you have to work at. Def have some safety goggles in case the metal shavings go flying like they did for me. Other than these two holes the rear was a piece of cake. I'm a little concerned about the rear brake lines having enough slack in them for full flex, but until that rear bracket is welded to the axle I can't go offroad anyways. First time out after that I'll be keeping an eye on it to see what needs to be done. The front brake lines need to be zip tied somewhere too, thinking about the coil bc its not a sharp edge and the coil shouldn't really move a whole heck of a lot. Also on the rear the directions didn't say specifically when to reattach the swaybar links, but I think its pretty obvious you need to do it. So other than those few minor items, it was a time consuming process to fiddle away with some of the brackets and other things, but the directions walk you right through it and it looks awesome afterwards IMO

If anyone has any questions about the install or anything else let me know. I would do it again if I had to, but I don't plan to remove too much of this stuff for some time haha.

Tags
death wobble , lift , offroad , rubicon , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.