what to do next with the new rubi - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what to do next with the new rubi

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #46
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just went with some conventional stuff for now. Another couple of months and I'll be changing it again anyways. Next on the list might actually be a lift. After some time at hardrock I really could see some benefit in having some extra clearance on the frame.

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #47
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Dude with the lj only had 2". You look at just a 2-3" and shocks? Or do you want height?

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
vincejeep1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Join a jeep club .
vincejeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ View Post
Dude with the lj only had 2". You look at just a 2-3" and shocks? Or do you want height?
Right now I'm thinking a 2.5in lift. I still was sitting lower than every other jeep out at hardrock the other weekend. Figure with 2.5in I can do 33's easily and if I want to go with 35's it'll be a body lift and a few other items to sneak them underneath the truck. Either way I just feel like I need some additional height, not for 99% of what I've done, but for the crap that is yet to come.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #50
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Right now I'm thinking a 2.5in lift. I still was sitting lower than every other jeep out at hardrock the other weekend. Figure with 2.5in I can do 33's easily and if I want to go with 35's it'll be a body lift and a few other items to sneak them underneath the truck. Either way I just feel like I need some additional height, not for 99% of what I've done, but for the crap that is yet to come.
I am running a 2.5 lift and 35's now no problem and because I have tube fenders I can easily get 37's with no body lift.

Jk's do not need body lifts and depending on your lift you could always swap the coils to the 3.5 if you felt you need more lift
[CENTER][URL="http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][COLOR="Black"]ROCK KRAWLER[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.4x4spod.com/"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]S-POD[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.milemarker.com/"][FONT="Impact"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]MILE MARKER[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/"][FONT="Fixedsys"][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]A.C.E.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=voodooJK;11973781]Something you said after the fact exposed that part of me... like a catholic school girl normally would.[/QUOTE]
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #51
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjk

I am running a 2.5 lift and 35's now no problem and because I have tube fenders I can easily get 37's with no body lift.
mine is sitting on a RK 2.5" with PSC Crusher flares. 37s fit very nicely. With 5.13 gears and a few hundred pounds of extra steel I still get close to 17mpg on long highway trips doing 70+ with the cruise control on.
My JK did look funny for that period of tinge between when I finished the lift and Crusher install until I got the gears and tires done. The stock 32s looked like little donuts.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #52
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

ya thats my only concern is that it might look kinda funny with the 32's and the lift. I've scoured the lifted 2dr pics thread and I've seen several with 2.5" lift and 32's that don't look bad. I should have the money for the lift in the near future, but not for wheels and tires for some time.
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

what size rim do you have?

Unread 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #54
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

17s from the factory. I want to go smaller when I eventually go to 33's or 35's. 16's seem easier to find bc of our jacked up bolt pattern, but 15's just look the best IMO.
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #55
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ
what size rim do you have?
I am ruining Level 8 matte black alloy, 17x8.5 with 4.5" back space. They balanced very well. I have run up to 80mph on the highway without a hint of vibration. I won't drive faster than that because of the added weight. But very stable.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #56
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

sounds good, but i was asking wardo

Unread 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #57
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Alright so looks like I'm going to be taking some big steps here in the next couple of weeks with the little rubi.

A guy here locally got me and my buddy a sweet deal on the RK 2.5 lift and the bilstein 5100's. The coils are in, waiting on the shocks, looking like the end of the month.

Coupled with some money from uncle sam and a couple of nice paychecks I'm also looking at buying a front winch and a bumper to replace the stocker (which is already damaged from a minor confrontation with a tree).

I'm a day or two away from ordering the Warn M8000 winch and for the bumper I'm looking at the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper with the winch mount. This brings me to a point where I haven't been able to find anymore info that I want, hoping someone might be able to help.

As for the bumper, seems like I have two options for the "front skid." I could somehow cut up the stock one and just leave it there or get the RR front skid (part # 18003.30). I'm curious if anyone knows about that fitting on the Rubicon ok. I heard that it still doesn't fit just right bc of the electric swaybar discos.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any input on a snatch block. Seems like there's a few out there, I can't really tell if there's a difference in quality.

If anyone has any additional feedback, certainly open to hearing it. I did find the RR bumper on 4ws.com for cheaper than amazon which was the best price I had found previously.
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #58
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Alright so looks like I'm going to be taking some big steps here in the next couple of weeks with the little rubi.

A guy here locally got me and my buddy a sweet deal on the RK 2.5 lift and the bilstein 5100's. The coils are in, waiting on the shocks, looking like the end of the month.

Coupled with some money from uncle sam and a couple of nice paychecks I'm also looking at buying a front winch and a bumper to replace the stocker (which is already damaged from a minor confrontation with a tree).

I'm a day or two away from ordering the Warn M8000 winch and for the bumper I'm looking at the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper with the winch mount. This brings me to a point where I haven't been able to find anymore info that I want, hoping someone might be able to help.

As for the bumper, seems like I have two options for the "front skid." I could somehow cut up the stock one and just leave it there or get the RR front skid (part # 18003.30). I'm curious if anyone knows about that fitting on the Rubicon ok. I heard that it still doesn't fit just right bc of the electric swaybar discos.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any input on a snatch block. Seems like there's a few out there, I can't really tell if there's a difference in quality.

If anyone has any additional feedback, certainly open to hearing it. I did find the RR bumper on 4ws.com for cheaper than amazon which was the best price I had found previously.
Front skid might not be needed as many after market front bumpers build the skid protection in but there are various aftermerket solutions if you need to get on. I have found that I haven't need more protection than the front bumper has provided. The front stock skid isn't a skid it is actually just a plastic air damn to help give you better gas milage which is the only reason I put mine back on.

I have only used a arb snatch block but from what I hear they are all about the same.

Now the Warn winch's are great but everytime I look at their price compared to Superwinch or Mile Marker it was always hard for me to rationalize
[CENTER][URL="http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][COLOR="Black"]ROCK KRAWLER[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.4x4spod.com/"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]S-POD[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.milemarker.com/"][FONT="Impact"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]MILE MARKER[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/"][FONT="Fixedsys"][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]A.C.E.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=voodooJK;11973781]Something you said after the fact exposed that part of me... like a catholic school girl normally would.[/QUOTE]
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #59
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ah, that makes sense about the airdam. I wonder if there are any pics of folks with the rr bumper and the airdam still on.

I don't know the most about winches, I've read good things about superwinch. I figure I'll only need to buy one winch ever, so i might as well spend the money to get a quality one. Not to say other those other two aren't. But its apparent that you pay a premium for warn, my hope is thats money that would be well spent over the long term.
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #60
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the rubi comes with the evap skid.

The RR front skid wont fit a rubi with out some grinding. The e sway will rub and bind. be very sure to clearance it.

This pic you can see the notch i cut in the plate to clear the housing of the E sway just above the axle in view

Tags
death wobble , lift , offroad , rubicon , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.