what to do next with the new rubi - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what to do next with the new rubi

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #31
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Lots of good info here, my Jeep is one year old today, its not my daily driver, Im gonna start with undersneath protection first, evap, diff covers, Im not a hardcore wheeler but dont want to screw anything up lol.....thanks for all the advice and ideas for us newbies!

2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

River Raider make a kit that has instructions that tie all the lines together. I went to homedepot and bought some tubing and some T's and a few hose clamps did it myself for around 40bucks was pretty easy. I tied my 2 axles together and then my tranny and T-Case all ran all lines to my airbox and made my system water proof. I used the clamps to clamp all connections so they wouldn't just slip off.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #33
bigworm36
2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree on the plastic bumper I put a nice big gash from rubbing on a rock wheeling in Florence az about a month ago only 2000 miles on it lol. I was with about 8 other jeepers saying its about time you broke it in. Anyways after I used my skids I decided I need a little more clearance and plan on getting the rustys 3.25 kit along with the evap skid, after that the next important thing for me is the engine/oil skid and then a better front bumper

Current- 2011 Rubicon Unlimited
bigworm36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #34
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
River Raider make a kit that has instructions that tie all the lines together. I went to homedepot and bought some tubing and some T's and a few hose clamps did it myself for around 40bucks was pretty easy. I tied my 2 axles together and then my tranny and T-Case all ran all lines to my airbox and made my system water proof. I used the clamps to clamp all connections so they wouldn't just slip off.
So if I'm reading your post correctly, instead of the river raider kit you just did it yourself? Do you have any pics of how you tied it all together and where? Now I'm assuming there is no breather on the m/t?
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #35
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann2380 View Post
Nice Jeep.

I have an 08 2 door Rubicon as well. It is my 5th Jeep and my favorite by far (My 98 5.9 Limited comes in second).

Best advise I can give is mod slowly, don't go screwing with the suspension and buying 37's right off the bat if it is a daily driver. Learn to drive and enjoy your Jeep, it is very capable stock. Plus you don't want to spend your first year looking under the Jeep every 10 miles wondering what is squeaking or rattling.

Here is what I have done with my Jeep.

1) Marathon Superhide Seat Covers
2) Weathertech Floor Mats
3) Cobra 75 CB with the Cooltech license plate mount
4) Riddler Diff Covers
5) River Raider Full skids & Evap Skid
6) I wasn't too happy with the stock BFG's, so I bought 255/80R17 BFG KM2's and have been much happier with them. 33x10.5 and don't rub like a 285
7) 19/60 Unlimited springs, gained about 1.5" in height and shouldn't have any troubles with my stock powertrain warranty. Looks much better too, got rid of the rake.
8) Warn 9.5cti as insurance w/ Jeepswag syn line (just ordered)
9) RB1 Nav unit (use a ton).

I can't say there is one mod I regret, but I had 5 jeeps to learn from!

Enjoy the jeep!
How do you like your rror skids? I'm looking at the oil pan/tranny skid they make. I'm just curious how flush it sits to the body and if you get any rattling. Thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
the next important thing for me is the engine/oil skid and then a better front bumper
What skids are you looking at?

Took the jeep to the beach up in amelia island with another Rubi.

That's his 06 unlimited. Pretty sweet.

So after spending the afternoon at the beach and having countless other jeep owners come to talk to us, (i was not prepared or expecting this to happen) I've found the list of things needed to prepare the jeep has expanded even further. I need to get a cb radio for the trail, the local club really suggests it and after talking to some other experienced jeepers they too strongly encourage having one for the trails too. Being a noob ill probably be pulling up the rear so I wanted to know ya'lls suggestions on good cb radios and related accessories. I understand ill need a separate cb antenna and another device to send immediate power to the radio unit itself. An feedback is much appreciated. Second, I was informed that without side mirrors or at least one side mirror, in Florida they will pull you over so I've been looking at relocation brackets and other solutions, ideally I'd just like to move the mirror like the folks with tj's can. From what I'm reading that is not really possible with the jk. Is the best solution really adding the quick disconnect mirrors bc the rr relocation brackets don't work real well?
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #36
bigworm36
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have the cobra 75, and it works great! All the buttons are on the hand held and there is a little power box that it comes with. I took out my.glove box and tied the unit behind it and put the glove box back in. Make sure you get a spring on whatever antenna yiu use so a branch doesn't break it off. Teraflex makes a antenna mount that bolts into your tire carrier so no drilling is needed. I just ran the cable from the antenna through the tail gate light grommet inside the tail gate and tucked it all the way up to the glove box. On the passenger side you can can pop off the side panel and run the power wires through a small hole with foam in it to the battery. If yiu want pics let me know, don't forget to tune your radio after it is installed. Only took me about an hour to install.

Current- 2011 Rubicon Unlimited
bigworm36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
I have the cobra 75, and it works great! All the buttons are on the hand held and there is a little power box that it comes with. I took out my.glove box and tied the unit behind it and put the glove box back in. Make sure you get a spring on whatever antenna yiu use so a branch doesn't break it off. Teraflex makes a antenna mount that bolts into your tire carrier so no drilling is needed. I just ran the cable from the antenna through the tail gate light grommet inside the tail gate and tucked it all the way up to the glove box. On the passenger side you can can pop off the side panel and run the power wires through a small hole with foam in it to the battery. If yiu want pics let me know, don't forget to tune your radio after it is installed. Only took me about an hour to install.
So I've been trying to brush up on cb radios and this is def not my strong point. From what I've read, the antenna is the most important part and then the cb unit itself.
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #38
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mud was thigh high and a lot softer than the last several times out there.
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Today I put the evap skid plate on the truck. Rained on me for the second half of the install.

Here's the evap canister and the factory mounting plate.

Nicely secure, safe and reinstalled.

Took about an hr between crawling out from underneath the truck to get the right tools and such. Feeling happier for the extra insurance.

Also ordered some grab handles for those days when the doors are off. Guess I never got the ones the dealer is supposed to put on.
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #40
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

So this weekend I'm planning to take care of the transfer case and diff breather lines. I haven't been able to find the size of the tubing I should get, does anyone know what size it is? I've heard 8mm or 10mm but idk for sure. Does anyone have any other parts you would recommend for this little undertaking? Thanks.
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #41
run11rb
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjk View Post
Well if your in Jax FL you can always check out my Rubi to get some ideas.

Mine now is a 2011 Rubi Unlimited (had a 2007 too)
2.5 Rock Krawler Max Flex Pro
Teraflex Big Brake kit
Teraflex Speed bumps
K&N drop in filter
ATX Ledge Wheels
35in GY MTR Kevlar tires
Rock Krawler Aluminium Front bumper
Mile Marker Scout winch
A.C.E. Engineering rock rails
Ridgid dually lights
S-Pod
Warrior Fenders
Diablosport Trinity Programmer

In Progress:

RIPP Supercharger
MBRP Exhaust
Sleeved/gusseted axels
Does the trinity work for 2011?
run11rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #42
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by run11rb View Post
Does the trinity work for 2011?
Parts of the programming are still in the works as the Jeep programming does not properly communicate to the tuner. Once all the kinks are worked out it and announced I will make sure everyone knows.
[CENTER][URL="http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][COLOR="Black"]ROCK KRAWLER[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.4x4spod.com/"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]S-POD[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.milemarker.com/"][FONT="Impact"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]MILE MARKER[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/"][FONT="Fixedsys"][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]A.C.E.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=voodooJK;11973781]Something you said after the fact exposed that part of me... like a catholic school girl normally would.[/QUOTE]
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #43
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usS8...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaXy...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CedW...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CedW...e_gdata_player

Got a few clips of me and my buddy out at Osceola national forest. Lots of fun, kinda tense driving through this water when we've got little info about how deep things are haha
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #44
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

So the next two tasks on the rubi will be a cb radio and to change out the front and rear diff fluids.

as for the cb, I've been doing as much reading as I can and I'm getting closer to knowing what I want to do. So after some additional reading I'm looking at the Cooltech ultramount kit.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_ultramount.shtml

Most of the feedback I have read about seems to be fairly positive and its fairly straight forward. For the CB unit and handset I'm leaning towards the Cobra 75wxst. I like the idea that I can very easy keep the CB out of sight and if needed disconnect the handset. I know that there are some sacrifices made with this unit, I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on it and if there are any other suggestions. The cost is also another reason I'm in favor of the 75wxst. I am comfortable looking at pricier units, the question I have, is that really need or with the little cobra 75 get the job done with the ultramount antenna kit?

As for the diff fluid, I'm thinking ill use the factory weight instructions and probably go with a conventional make. I have a 2011 rubi with the electronic lockers, will any conventional oil work? From what I've read I don't need any LSD additives. I won't be towing anything but will continue to go wheeling on a regular basis. Hoping to make a trip up to nc or ga sometime to find some more elevation changing places to go lol. Once again any input is appreciated. I'm thinking about something from Lucas oil but I've always used synthetic stuff in my previous (but non offroading) vehicles. Thanks for all the help guys!
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #45
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

I run redline syn in my diffs. Comes with the friction modifier already added, or you can buy it without. That or royal purple

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death wobble , lift , offroad , rubicon , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.