what to do next with the new rubi - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what to do next with the new rubi

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

so I know generally what the evap canister does, but why would I get a skid plate for that over say the transfer case? Kinda green when it comes to armor on trucks.

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #17
Ayres56
2008 JK Wrangler 

Because it's the most vulnerable.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][B]2008 Unlimited Rubicon [COLOR="Red"]Flame Red[/COLOR] 4.10 gears. Auto. Tow Package. 3" Synergy Lift w/ RK RRD shocks. RK front and rear bombproof track bars, RK Adj. Front LCA's. 35x12.50x17 Cooper STT's. Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Stubby with hoop. Smittybilt XRC-8 winch. Bed-Lined Grill mod with mesh inserts.[/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"A government big enough to supply you with everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...." - Thomas Jefferson[/FONT]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/ayres56-build-thread-1199203/"]Ayres' Build[/url]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="5"]SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM[/SIZE][/FONT]
Ayres56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's what I keep hearing, but I still don't have a skid or relocation completed and I've never so much as grazed mine on a rock and I've been in some pretty hairy spots.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #19
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Same here not even a scratch. I know there has been a few that were damaged but itís not as bad some will make it out to be. Iím not saying donít cover or relocate it Iím just sayingÖ
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats like saying-"I've never needed 4wd, so why getit-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
That's what I keep hearing, but I still don't have a skid or relocation completed and I've never so much as grazed mine on a rock and I've been in some pretty hairy spots.
The evap can is the lowest vulnerable ECU controlled item on your jeep--getta skid-or pay the price-

Here's my "Skid Row"-

You gotta Rubi-protectit-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

The sound system is pretty darn waterproof...I've had mine rained in on several ocassions and not just a few sprinkles. You are off to a good start on your offroad kit but here are a few more items just off the top of my head:

Something to air-up and air-down - Compressor or Powertank
First-Aid Kit
Gas Gans & Water Cans
Seat Cover if you plan to go topless alot - I recommend Katskinz in Vinyl
Some sort of locking compartment for your gear - You may want to go on a hike while offroading and it sucks to come back and all your crap is gone. - I have the Tuffy Security Drawer and it is awesome!!!
Line-X is awesome for the interior!
Fire Extinguisher is also a good idea.

Get out there and start having fun...you'll figure out what you need and then build it for YOU!!! Mine is great on the rocks but there are others that are much better. Mine is not the tallest, not the fastest, not the best...but it is setup exactly how I want it (at least it is headed in that direction)
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Same here not even a scratch. I know there has been a few that were damaged but itís not as bad some will make it out to be. Iím not saying donít cover or relocate it Iím just sayingÖ
Well Murphy's Law certainly applies to me. If something could go wrong, it probably will. So for the short term I'm thinking some additional armor would be a good start like you guys said.

I found this evap canister skid...
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product_p/17-56-010.htm

Also looking at this plate for the oil pan and tranny...
http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...&product_id=68

They seem pretty fairly priced. The riverraider plate is the one I have the most questions about. I guess I don't know if its what I should be looking at, but I agree more and more with ya'll. Might as well protect the truck, skid plates are like insurance, wish you had them after its too late.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
The sound system is pretty darn waterproof...I've had mine rained in on several ocassions and not just a few sprinkles. You are off to a good start on your offroad kit but here are a few more items just off the top of my head:

Something to air-up and air-down - Compressor or Powertank
First-Aid Kit
Gas Gans & Water Cans
Seat Cover if you plan to go topless alot - I recommend Katskinz in Vinyl
Some sort of locking compartment for your gear - You may want to go on a hike while offroading and it sucks to come back and all your crap is gone. - I have the Tuffy Security Drawer and it is awesome!!!
Line-X is awesome for the interior!
Fire Extinguisher is also a good idea.

Get out there and start having fun...you'll figure out what you need and then build it for YOU!!! Mine is great on the rocks but there are others that are much better. Mine is not the tallest, not the fastest, not the best...but it is setup exactly how I want it (at least it is headed in that direction)
how big are those security drawers? I would imagine after accumulating enough stuff for the trail kit, it won't all fit in the box. Most of the ones I've seen fit under a seat.
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #24
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Well Murphy's Law certainly applies to me. If something could go wrong, it probably will. So for the short term I'm thinking some additional armor would be a good start like you guys said.

I found this evap canister skid...
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product_p/17-56-010.htm

Also looking at this plate for the oil pan and tranny...
http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...&product_id=68

They seem pretty fairly priced. The riverraider plate is the one I have the most questions about. I guess I don't know if its what I should be looking at, but I agree more and more with ya'll. Might as well protect the truck, skid plates are like insurance, wish you had them after its too late.

Well if your in Jax FL you can always check out my Rubi to get some ideas.

Mine now is a 2011 Rubi Unlimited (had a 2007 too)
2.5 Rock Krawler Max Flex Pro
Teraflex Big Brake kit
Teraflex Speed bumps
K&N drop in filter
ATX Ledge Wheels
35in GY MTR Kevlar tires
Rock Krawler Aluminium Front bumper
Mile Marker Scout winch
A.C.E. Engineering rock rails
Ridgid dually lights
S-Pod
Warrior Fenders
Diablosport Trinity Programmer

In Progress:

RIPP Supercharger
MBRP Exhaust
Sleeved/gusseted axels
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

I got the rear cargo security drawer. Takes up the whole cargo area behind the rear sear and is a few inches shorter than the tub sides. I have the 4door so it has a lot of room...but of course never quite enough room!
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

First thing I got for mine was a Rock Hard evap skid and a mount for my CB antenna comes in very hand when you go wheeling with others.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

so I just ordered a 48' hi lift jack and the poison spyder evap skid plate.
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #28
JMann2380

Nice Jeep.

I have an 08 2 door Rubicon as well. It is my 5th Jeep and my favorite by far (My 98 5.9 Limited comes in second).

Best advise I can give is mod slowly, don't go screwing with the suspension and buying 37's right off the bat if it is a daily driver. Learn to drive and enjoy your Jeep, it is very capable stock. Plus you don't want to spend your first year looking under the Jeep every 10 miles wondering what is squeaking or rattling.

Here is what I have done with my Jeep.

1) Marathon Superhide Seat Covers
2) Weathertech Floor Mats
3) Cobra 75 CB with the Cooltech license plate mount
4) Riddler Diff Covers
5) River Raider Full skids & Evap Skid
6) I wasn't too happy with the stock BFG's, so I bought 255/80R17 BFG KM2's and have been much happier with them. 33x10.5 and don't rub like a 285
7) 19/60 Unlimited springs, gained about 1.5" in height and shouldn't have any troubles with my stock powertrain warranty. Looks much better too, got rid of the rake.
8) Warn 9.5cti as insurance w/ Jeepswag syn line (just ordered)
9) RB1 Nav unit (use a ton).

I can't say there is one mod I regret, but I had 5 jeeps to learn from!

Enjoy the jeep!
JMann2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #29
JMann2380

Oh and do a Jeep Jamboree, great time.
Unread 07-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #30
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Do you guys know anything about breather tubes on the front and rear diffs and the transfer case? It was suggested to me to check those out and if they're too short, to extend them up a little bit to keep any potential water out.

Tags
death wobble , lift , offroad , rubicon , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.