JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   what to do next with the new rubi (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/what-do-next-new-rubi-1233171/)

wardo 06-28-2011 03:21 PM

what to do next with the new rubi

So experienced jeepers, I need some sage advice on the next steps with my wrangler.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMAG0493.jpg
I've got a brand new stock rubicon. (near jeep)

I'm relatively new to the off-road scene but not to car builds. I've spent a good amount of time scouring the forums here and from what I can tell unless I know I'm getting into some pretty hairy stuff the rubicon will be pretty much good as is. Truck came stock with the lt255/75/17's bfg mud terrain km's. Knowing the value of good rubber, Im always open to suggestions on better tires. As far as additional mods I'm not sure exactly what else I should be looking at.

From what I've been able to determine the best thing for me to invest in would be trail riding supply kit and butt time behind the wheel to get better at driving and utilizing everything the rubicon already offers. For the trail kit I've got a LED flashlight, first-aid kit, fold up shovel, two tow straps and a utility knife so far. I plan to purchase a hi-lift jack (probably the 60') a fire extinguisher and a some additional hand tools. I def would like some feedback as to what you guys have found useful/necessary.

I also plan to pull out the carpet and I'm thinking that rhino lining would be a good first expenditure. The only concern I have is with the sound system that came with the truck. I haven't been able to find too much info about the water resistant qualities, if any, regarding the infinity stereo/sub in the back. My next big wheelin trip is going to be to ocala national forest so I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

If anyone knows an easy way for me to post or link up some videos I can post some clips of the truck going through a local mud hole I like to frequent. Thanks guys!

RockyClymer 06-28-2011 04:33 PM

Wheel it...then decide.

jmb6420 06-28-2011 04:42 PM

Get an evap canister skid, engine oil pan skid, then wheel the heck out of it. You'll figure out what you need next. It all depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

CooterTKE 06-28-2011 04:42 PM

beat it up and figure out what you want to do to it.

jmb6420 06-28-2011 04:44 PM

:2thumbsup:Great choice in color too!..

1222 06-28-2011 05:47 PM

Give it to me. If not then do what the others have said and wheel it first. If you know that you want to do more of the hardcore trails then do your research and see what others have done. Listen especially to the quality of the lift kits and whatís needed if thatís the route youíll be taking. A book could be written on what to for your Jeep. Good luck.
:cheers2:

Prot 06-28-2011 07:23 PM

Get rid of the plastic bumpers in favor of steel. Those plastic bumpers are useless except as a conversation piece about their uselessness.

HurricaneRZA 06-28-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prot (Post 11780176)
Get rid of the plastic bumpers in favor of steel. Those plastic bumpers are useless except as a conversation piece about their uselessness.

Not true... Once removed they can also point out the *******es in traffic... I saw a guy in a TJ with the plastic front bumper.. You could see it was not very well mounted and the fogs where missing. it also had a cover on the spare that said "JK" with an outline of a JKU.

Needless to say I was laughing so hard I almost wet myself.

1222 06-28-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prot (Post 11780176)
...Those plastic bumpers are useless except as a conversation piece about their uselessness.

It makes for a soft cushion on light impacts like dropping off ledges while wheeling.:laugh:
:cheers2:

deerassassin22 06-28-2011 08:15 PM

If you check my build thread for ideas I also had these questions. From my experience wheel it and find out stock JK's have a lot of flex see some of my pictures does pretty good if you can drive good. I highly advise you to get the rockhard engine/tranny skid and the skid row evap skid prior to hitting any rocks. Then work through your next mods seat covers would be number 1 if you go doorless a lot as well. For the kit I carry a Medic Bag, Water,snacks,strap, shackles, knife and gun, lighter,tools, 2x fire extinguisher and tool kit 200 piece air pump and a gps extra batteries and tire patch/plug kit.

TJsport33s 06-28-2011 08:29 PM

I am just getting my Rubicon in order too since I bought it last month. So far Front floor mats and a spare tire cover. Have on order the under the seat Tuffy box, cargo mat, handles that attach to the roll bar for the front and back and a fuel filler door. Don't know of that many places here in Jax to wheel. At least not like it used to be. Like you said Ocala is one and macclenny is another and a few places in Julington creek. I think the Rubicon is overkill for the beach but that is where it gets the most off road miles unless I go to the mountains.

wardo 06-28-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb6420 (Post 11779417)
Get an evap canister skid, engine oil pan skid, then wheel the heck out of it. You'll figure out what you need next. It all depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

I just got my quadratec catalog in the mail, I would assume that would be a good starting point for price research?

The beach is def easy driving, I do plan to get into some more serious terrain other than the sand haha. I don't know much about the bumpers, I've looked at some of the options on quadratec but I just don't know what I'm looking for.

What kind of hand tools are ya'll carrying with you?

wardo 06-28-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJsport33s (Post 11780510)
I am just getting my Rubicon in order too since I bought it last month. So far Front floor mats and a spare tire cover. Have on order the under the seat Tuffy box, cargo mat, handles that attach to the roll bar for the front and back and a fuel filler door. Don't know of that many places here in Jax to wheel. At least not like it used to be. Like you said Ocala is one and macclenny is another and a few places in Julington creek. I think the Rubicon is overkill for the beach but that is where it gets the most off road miles unless I go to the mountains.

Maclenny is not too terribly far away, julington creek is even closer. If you know of anyone checking out some places around there let me know, I'd like to get out there and I'm sure my friend in his unlimited would like to come out. I'm out near jax beach.

fishgutz 06-28-2011 09:47 PM

Yes, the plastic is useless and cheap. That is because didn't want us wasting money on POS parts we are just going to take off anyway.
As a function-over-form guy, I would save interior mods until after the functional exterior mods are done.
I've already tested my new skid plates :D
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...ackoutrear.jpg

Mongrel77 06-29-2011 01:21 AM

I took mine out for first time a few weeks ago, then promptly got it lifted, lol. Next is a new bumper and fenders.

The time now is 01:35 AM.