What do I need to meet requirements? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What do I need to meet requirements?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
MFisherIT
2013 JK Wrangler 

What do I need to meet requirements?

I have a 2013 JK 4-door stock.
I want to join the JK experience at some point, but still drive my jeep around town.
I need to meet the following requirements:
Lockers, Front and Rear
Sport Cage
37″ Minimum Tire Size (for 4 Door)
Must carry 2 Fire Extinguishers, First Aid Kit and Spill Kit
Working CB Radio
Winch
Working E-brake
From my understanding, I need to following to meet those requirements intelligently:
Dana 60:
o Lots of work I don't understand
37" Tire needs:
o extended bump stops
o driveshaft
o welded diffs to axle tube
o truss front & rear
o 2.5" - 3" lift
o inner axle sleeve
o upper knuckle gusset
o 5.13 gear crawler? maybe 4.88better
I am NOT looking to out preform anyone, do a trail completely unaided, or complete a trail without recovery.
I do want to be at least minimally save and intelligent on low to moderate trails.

Am I correct about the requirement for 37" tires? Do I need a Dana 60? What else do I NEED?

MFisherIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

much of what you are looking at will cost as much as the jeep. unless you are doing all the work. The list of what works with 37"s in hard crawling is VERY long and expensive. I would not run 37" with out Hydro assisted steering or in many hard rock the Jk steering is just not good enough. replace all steering parts too. ball joint tie rod drag links all wont last 10k with 37" and the offset and harder and moderate wheeling.

Much of what you need depends on what you are going to wheel? Are you going to take that new Jeep places that 37"s and all that is needed run "Hard core". It wont look new very long.

I would first lean to walk before running. See how far you are willing to get that new jeep in trouble. MOST people will not wheel a new Jeep harder than EASY moderate trails.

You should be able to join a club in your area that will show you what you need and how the trails rate. Go with recovery gear safety and go out with a crew see how she does first. Then perhaps you can drop 20K in it.
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Wheel it stock! Just guessing but it sounds like you have not even wheeled your rig yet.

If you wanted to run those type of trails and 37" tires you probably would have been better off to buy a Rubicon. It would have taken a lot less mods to get there. Might even be worth it to trade up to a Rubicon as it will be a much cheaper build.

MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Agree, wheel it first and see what you need, then set the requirements to meet your needs. If you can go where you want on 35s, it will make life simpler and less expensive IMO.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Low to moderate trails do not require 37's. To properly swing those (***properly***) you'll need to spend a fortune. I tend to agree to go with 35's. You'll still need to beef up your front axle to run those without incurring any damage. Best to hit the threads and start reading.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very good info, especially about the need for 37s'/Dana 60s-

As a side note, you won't need a spill kit, chances of Primary water contamination are almost nonexistance !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

what is stated above, i know running the jk experience and other huge wheeling trips are fun, but, a club run with the buddies can be just as great. i will admit having 37s and running against big rocks is a blast, but, breaking something is not a blast. especially on a dd, you need to be careful, and have a good spotter. this is where it helps to wheel stock. gain some skill, knowledge, and find a friend that can guide you through the sketchy situations. etc then go and build your jeep to meet your requirements. remember, before you do anything READ READ READ!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

For low to moderate trails, a stock JK will probably be just fine...
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Just to support what everyone else has already said.. if you haven't really been "off-road" (meaning "Jeep" wheeling), go do easy to light-moderate trails to learn how to pick lines; go with people that have been before. You will learn as you go. FWIW, our 2010 JKUR did 5-rated trails all over Moab (during Easter Jeep Safari) with no problems (3.5" lift on 35" tires)--having said that, I also have years of wheeling experience and can do a good job of picking out the right lines because I spent time with my Jeep, and I know what it can and cannot do. I, personally, have seen people show up to EJS with a brand new Jeep, spent $20k plus in equipment/upgrades, and are the ones that have a difficult time on a moderate trail, all the while some stock Jeeps are tackling the terrain just fine. I've even see one break once--blew out the rear end.

In short, wheel your Jeep stock a few times. THEN, decide what you really want your Jeep to do off-road while keeping in mind that you want to keep this as a DD...
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

aznjeep - you have just stated one of the facts about off-road - 50% driver and 50% vehicle. I have seen stock vehicles outperform built vehicles based on driver experience alone...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
aznjeep - you have just stated one of the facts about off-road - 50% driver and 50% vehicle. I have seen stock vehicles outperform built vehicles based on driver experience alone...
this^ see it all the time. but most of that is "knowing" the obstacles and trails. The harder the trail the more this comes to play.

Some of my best carnage and damage is from taking the wrong line for the set up and finding out how freeking stuck a rubi n 35"s can get. in boulders that 40"s have to tread well. gets expensive real fast if you break anything.

I would say every run or clubs run. someone will have a issue, break an axle lay it over. shread tires on rocks. breaking Ca arms and links. or like me had an air bag go off and break my arm! had to drive it for 12hrs broken arm there be a BIG cow bell for me.... yep you never know what the day of wheeling will bring. GO ready, first aid, recover winch. I carry water food clothes. Tools..like a boy scout be prepared. You just never ever will know what lies ahead, even if you dun 'it before.
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

For a little added info to the comments above, the gear chart you posted is for a 3.8 motor. Your 2013 JK has a 3.6. Big difference as to what gearing you need. And for all that say you need trussed and tubed axles to run 37" tires, I ran 37s on my TJ with a Dana 30 with no truss, no tubes, no C braces etc for 10 years. All it had was an ARB and 4:56 gears (4.0 - 5 spd). My good buddy did the same with 39" Iroks. And no, we aren't web wheelers or mall crawlers. We've done everything from Paragon in Penn (now closed) to Tellico (also now closed) to Superlift in Arkansas and everything in between. We also usually started with the 4 rated trails to warm up then moved on to the hard stuff. Yes, we broke a u-joint or two and occasionally worse, but that was usually caused by heavy skinny pedal application. My point is that you can do a lot of good wheeling if you learn your rig and drive with some finess.
Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.