what are the chances - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > what are the chances

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 09-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Laxstar46

what are the chances

I was just wondering... is jeep planning on a diesel engine or somthing larger for the new jeeps. Like in the 08 09 years. I must say i like the JK's but if they are definately going to have more engine options then i think i will def be waiting for the bigger engine. I understand teh V6 is a good engine but i just am a bull head and love my I6 engines. ( i had a 93 ford f150 with the 4.9L I6 and after that i will never go to a v6) and lemme tell ya that 4.9 had some get up en go for having 3.08 gears

Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
jpaddict

Rumors are all over the place, but we do know DC is building 2.8 diesels for export. Some magazines I have read suggest a possible diesel in '08.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
jpaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Laxstar46

I'm not completely decided if i'm gnna go with jk or i might just get a 06 tj rubi. but i first want to test drive a v6 rubi b4 i make any judgements and rule it out. I'm only goin off of what i had b4 which was my f150. and that I6 engine was a monster
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A diesel would be cool and I could go for a JK in a few years. But, I love the I6 and couldn't pass up it's last year. There are really good deals on the '06's of course.
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxstar46
I'm not completely decided if i'm gnna go with jk or i might just get a 06 tj rubi. but i first want to test drive a v6 rubi b4 i make any judgements and rule it out. I'm only goin off of what i had b4 which was my f150. and that I6 engine was a monster
You really need to take a JK for a ride after the TJ You wont be undecided then
Just something you need to check out for yourself.
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

We test drove a JK yesterday and I will have to be honest the engine felt like it had plenty of power. I of course want to own every Jeep possible, but I was really surprised when my wife actually said she really wanted to see a hardtop 4 door, and was 99.9% sure that she would trade in her beloved XJ for a hardtop 4dr. That decision will definately make my life alot easier. It was a really nice Jeep.
Unread 10-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I was just wondering... is jeep planning on a diesel engine or somthing larger for the new jeeps. Like in the 08 09 years. I must say i like the JK's but if they are definately going to have more engine options then i think i will def be waiting for the bigger engine. I understand teh V6 is a good engine but i just am a bull head and love my I6 engines. ( i had a 93 ford f150 with the 4.9L I6 and after that i will never go to a v6) and lemme tell ya that 4.9 had some get up en go for having 3.08 gears
Why what do you have against a V6 compared to a s6? The rest of the engine design dictates how it will perform. The layout really highlights physical shape and size.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Laxstar46

I don't have anything against the v6. But ive seen around on some websites that actually give the 3.8's peak torque and hp numbers and it doesnt hit peak torque until 5000 rpm. Not a problem with that but if it doesnt have any low end to go with that then I really just am not interested. plus i think a diesel would be friigggin sweet. imagain sittin at a redlight next to some hummer pos and all he can hear is the roar of diesel engine. personally think it would turn heads. Also i have never owned a v6 so i'm still open to it as a possibility. Like i said i'm only goin off of what i owned previously. which was a ford with a I6 and i absolutely loved that truck. once dealers get some 2 dr jk's and i test drvie one i will make the final decision of 06 07 or wait a year for a diesel or a bigger engine
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

No one knows. Not even DC.
Unread 10-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #10
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't have anything against the v6. But ive seen around on some websites that actually give the 3.8's peak torque and hp numbers and it doesnt hit peak torque until 5000 rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I keep hearing all this talk about how the new 3.8 makes all its power in the higher rpms. But how do we know? Has anyone actually seen an engine or chassis dyno for the new 3.8 and compared it to the old 4.0?

I know PEAK torque is quite high, but that really means very little, as the troque curve is a curve.

Being an Fbody fan I hear similar sotries all the time, the newer LS1 makes PEAK torque at 4400rpm compraed to 2500rpm for the old Lt1. So everyone assums that the LS1 has no bottom end grunt.

They couldn't be further from the truth, as the LS1 actually makes 90% of it's torque by 1500rpm, and funnily enough is also making more lb ft than the LT1 does at PEAK. So in fact the total opporsite is true and the LS1 is much much better in the low rpms.

Maybe something similar is possible with this new 3.8? It's an OHV and has a longer stroke than the old 4.0, all good signs for low end torque. The possibility exists that it does have a lousy bottom end, but without any form of dyno proof I don't know how people keeping making these assumptions and then justify them

Quote:
plus i think a diesel would be friigggin sweet.
I agree a diesel would be nice, I've read that export will be getting one. So that means ME!

I guess it will be a Mercedes 3.0 or something. Don't expect anymore power than the 3.8 V6 petrol, more torque yes, but it'll probably be slower on the street.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
. . . i had a 93 ford f150 with the 4.9L I6 and after that i will never go to a v6) and lemme tell ya that 4.9 had some get up en go for having 3.08 gears

I had a '96 F-150 2wd 5 speed, and that thing wouldn't pull the shirt off your back
at highway speed. Had to turn the air off just to make it up long hills. Great low end torque, and bulletproof (if you can ever get used to the lifters chattering in the mornings), but you couldn't give me another vehicle with the 300 I6 in it.
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
05tjx

Quote:
get the 06 tj you will regret buying that pile especially the first year its made im sure they will make changes in 08 and 09 when that thing is bought by every soccer mom in the united states. they got to put a ball holder in it and gatorade cooler and cup dispenser in it too.
05 tj x, 4in procomp stage 2, aem intake, tbs, jet chip, 3312.50 15 on 15x10 weld supersingles, quick discos, 4.56s, detroit truetrac in the front and super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear,and other stuff
05tjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tjx
get the 06 tj you will regret buying that pile especially the first year its made im sure they will make changes in 08 and 09 when that thing is bought by every soccer mom in the united states. they got to put a ball holder in it and gatorade cooler and cup dispenser in it too.
Sounds like another disgruntled TJ owner that realizes the JK will do far more for far less money. Sure does sting, eh?
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
05tjx

umm no sorry just looking out for my real jeep brothers dont want to see them in somthing in they wont enjoy.. tjs are tried and true jks being new are going to have problems the first year so why jump on them. i also will never own somthing that looks like a honda element on steroids thanks ps do you even own jeep or you jumping on the jk band wagon
05 tj x, 4in procomp stage 2, aem intake, tbs, jet chip, 3312.50 15 on 15x10 weld supersingles, quick discos, 4.56s, detroit truetrac in the front and super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear,and other stuff
05tjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
NapalmEnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tjx
umm no sorry just looking out for my real jeep brothers dont want to see them in somthing in they wont enjoy.. tjs are tried and true jks being new are going to have problems the first year so why jump on them. i also will never own somthing that looks like a honda element on steroids thanks ps do you even own jeep or you jumping on the jk band wagon
So like how many years of consecutive jeep ownership do I need before I can call you my e-friend?

Too funny watching some of you Jeep elite thinking you are some wise sage and your Jeep is God's gift to the earth.

NapalmEnema is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.