Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what are the chances

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  NaeKid 
#1 ·
I was just wondering... is jeep planning on a diesel engine or somthing larger for the new jeeps. Like in the 08 09 years. I must say i like the JK's but if they are definately going to have more engine options then i think i will def be waiting for the bigger engine. I understand teh V6 is a good engine but i just am a bull head and love my I6 engines. ( i had a 93 ford f150 with the 4.9L I6 and after that i will never go to a v6) and lemme tell ya that 4.9 had some get up en go for having 3.08 gears

#2 ·
Rumors are all over the place, but we do know DC is building 2.8 diesels for export. Some magazines I have read suggest a possible diesel in '08.

#3 ·
I'm not completely decided if i'm gnna go with jk or i might just get a 06 tj rubi. but i first want to test drive a v6 rubi b4 i make any judgements and rule it out. I'm only goin off of what i had b4 which was my f150. and that I6 engine was a monster

#5 ·
Laxstar46 said:
I'm not completely decided if i'm gnna go with jk or i might just get a 06 tj rubi. but i first want to test drive a v6 rubi b4 i make any judgements and rule it out. I'm only goin off of what i had b4 which was my f150. and that I6 engine was a monster
You really need to take a JK for a ride after the TJ You wont be undecided then:)
Just something you need to check out for yourself.

#6 ·
We test drove a JK yesterday and I will have to be honest the engine felt like it had plenty of power. I of course want to own every Jeep possible, but I was really surprised when my wife actually said she really wanted to see a hardtop 4 door, and was 99.9% sure that she would trade in her beloved XJ for a hardtop 4dr. That decision will definately make my life alot easier. It was a really nice Jeep.

#7 ·
Laxstar46 said:
I was just wondering... is jeep planning on a diesel engine or somthing larger for the new jeeps. Like in the 08 09 years. I must say i like the JK's but if they are definately going to have more engine options then i think i will def be waiting for the bigger engine. I understand teh V6 is a good engine but i just am a bull head and love my I6 engines. ( i had a 93 ford f150 with the 4.9L I6 and after that i will never go to a v6) and lemme tell ya that 4.9 had some get up en go for having 3.08 gears
Why what do you have against a V6 compared to a s6? The rest of the engine design dictates how it will perform. The layout really highlights physical shape and size.

#8 ·
I don't have anything against the v6. But ive seen around on some websites that actually give the 3.8's peak torque and hp numbers and it doesnt hit peak torque until 5000 rpm. Not a problem with that but if it doesnt have any low end to go with that then I really just am not interested. plus i think a diesel would be friigggin sweet. imagain sittin at a redlight next to some hummer pos and all he can hear is the roar of diesel engine. personally think it would turn heads. Also i have never owned a v6 so i'm still open to it as a possibility. Like i said i'm only goin off of what i owned previously. which was a ford with a I6 and i absolutely loved that truck. once dealers get some 2 dr jk's and i test drvie one i will make the final decision of 06 07 or wait a year for a diesel or a bigger engine

#10 ·
Laxstar46 said:
I don't have anything against the v6. But ive seen around on some websites that actually give the 3.8's peak torque and hp numbers and it doesnt hit peak torque until 5000 rpm.
300bhp/ton said:
I keep hearing all this talk about how the new 3.8 makes all its power in the higher rpms. But how do we know? Has anyone actually seen an engine or chassis dyno for the new 3.8 and compared it to the old 4.0?

I know PEAK torque is quite high, but that really means very little, as the troque curve is a curve.

Being an Fbody fan I hear similar sotries all the time, the newer LS1 makes PEAK torque at 4400rpm compraed to 2500rpm for the old Lt1. So everyone assums that the LS1 has no bottom end grunt.

They couldn't be further from the truth, as the LS1 actually makes 90% of it's torque by 1500rpm, and funnily enough is also making more lb ft than the LT1 does at PEAK. So in fact the total opporsite is true and the LS1 is much much better in the low rpms.

Maybe something similar is possible with this new 3.8? It's an OHV and has a longer stroke than the old 4.0, all good signs for low end torque. The possibility exists that it does have a lousy bottom end, but without any form of dyno proof I don't know how people keeping making these assumptions and then justify them :confused:
Laxstar46 said:
plus i think a diesel would be friigggin sweet.
I agree a diesel would be nice, I've read that export will be getting one. So that means ME! :D

I guess it will be a Mercedes 3.0 or something. Don't expect anymore power than the 3.8 V6 petrol, more torque yes, but it'll probably be slower on the street.

#11 ·
Laxstar46 said:
. . . i had a 93 ford f150 with the 4.9L I6 and after that i will never go to a v6) and lemme tell ya that 4.9 had some get up en go for having 3.08 gears
I had a '96 F-150 2wd 5 speed, and that thing wouldn't pull the shirt off your back
at highway speed. Had to turn the air off just to make it up long hills. Great low end torque, and bulletproof (if you can ever get used to the lifters chattering in the mornings), but you couldn't give me another vehicle with the 300 I6 in it.

#12 ·
Laxstar46 said:
get the 06 tj you will regret buying that pile especially the first year its made im sure they will make changes in 08 and 09 when that thing is bought by every soccer mom in the united states. they got to put a ball holder in it and gatorade cooler and cup dispenser in it too.

#13 ·
05tjx said:
get the 06 tj you will regret buying that pile especially the first year its made im sure they will make changes in 08 and 09 when that thing is bought by every soccer mom in the united states. they got to put a ball holder in it and gatorade cooler and cup dispenser in it too.
Sounds like another disgruntled TJ owner that realizes the JK will do far more for far less money. Sure does sting, eh?

#14 ·
umm no sorry just looking out for my real jeep brothers dont want to see them in somthing in they wont enjoy.. tjs are tried and true jks being new are going to have problems the first year so why jump on them. i also will never own somthing that looks like a honda element on steroids thanks:thumbsup: ps do you even own jeep or you jumping on the jk band wagon

#15 ·
05tjx said:
umm no sorry just looking out for my real jeep brothers dont want to see them in somthing in they wont enjoy.. tjs are tried and true jks being new are going to have problems the first year so why jump on them. i also will never own somthing that looks like a honda element on steroids thanks:thumbsup: ps do you even own jeep or you jumping on the jk band wagon
So like how many years of consecutive jeep ownership do I need before I can call you my e-friend?

Too funny watching some of you Jeep elite thinking you are some wise sage and your Jeep is God's gift to the earth.

:thumbsup:

#16 ·
05tjx said:
What a stupid comment.

I mean the TJ was new not so long ago. Guess its not a real Jeep either then. :brickwall

#17 ·
300bhp/ton said:
What a stupid comment.

I mean the TJ was new not so long ago. Guess its not a real Jeep either then. :brickwall
tjs are almost ten years old

#18 ·
NapalmEnema said:
So like how many years of consecutive jeep ownership do I need before I can call you my e-friend?

Too funny watching some of you Jeep elite thinking you are some wise sage and your Jeep is God's gift to the earth.

:thumbsup:
I am one of those Jeep-elite-peoples and a wise sage :rofl:

My personal opinion is to never get the first release of a major re-design vehicle. I have owned enough of them over the years to realize there are problems - some major that are fixed at the factory in the next year or two.

When the 1997 TJ came out, I was of the opinion that I would wait to see what happens. Based on the history that I remember (I am ancient), I am glad that I didn't get the first year. It wasn't till 1999 that 90% of the bugs had been worked out, and that the aftermarket really jumped onto the TJ design and started to create some amazing add-ons.

I waiting to see where the JK goes - the aftermarket support, the drive-train, options, etc. I am happy with my '06 LJ right now, and in 5 years or so I might get the JK.

#21 ·
05tjx said:
tjs are almost ten years old
:rolleyes:

Yes but it replaced the YJ, which looked totally different. Infact no that's not a REAL Jeep either.

Sorry but if you're as stupid as you seem to be coming across the only real Jeep doesn't exist, as the original was actually pretty much a copy of a French design back in the 1930's.

Get a life and stop bashing. If you don't want a JK - don't buy one. ;)

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

#22 ·
NaeKid said:
I am one of those Jeep-elite-peoples and a wise sage :rofl:

My personal opinion is to never get the first release of a major re-design vehicle. I have owned enough of them over the years to realize there are problems - some major that are fixed at the factory in the next year or two.

When the 1997 TJ came out, I was of the opinion that I would wait to see what happens. Based on the history that I remember (I am ancient), I am glad that I didn't get the first year. It wasn't till 1999 that 90% of the bugs had been worked out, and that the aftermarket really jumped onto the TJ design and started to create some amazing add-ons.

I waiting to see where the JK goes - the aftermarket support, the drive-train, options, etc. I am happy with my '06 LJ right now, and in 5 years or so I might get the JK.
Yea see that was what was running through my mind on what i wanted to get. I was thinking u know the first year might not be so good. but i have a 97 tj that hasn't given me any problems outside of regular maintence. In a year and a half two things have broken. the water pump bearing was wearing out. so i replaced. and the stabilizer bar links broke. well one did so i replaced both. All i really was asking was about the chances of a new engine like a diesel or small v8. I don't have any issues with the v6 persay. but i was on motortrend . com and they said that the v6 doesnt hit peak torque until 5000 rpm which was y i posted this about a diesel or something else. But i am not dissing the jk at all. and 05tjx i don't necasarily agree with you that the jk is a piece of junk. Like i said from what i have read the V6 seems ok. But it does lakc the low end grunt power that we all loved the 4.0 for. Which makes me want to go for the TJ. but when the dealers get the jk 2 dr's in i plan to test drive a manual one. And if I find that it has good power and has a good low end. I know it won't be as good as the 4.0 but by late october november ish i'm afraid there won't be any 06 rubis out there. well at least one that i would want. cuz i'm very picky. but as of now I think it's gnna end up being a TJ i go with. Unless i hear some more about the v6 and or diesel and v8

#23 ·
300bhp/ton said:
:rolleyes:

Yes but it replaced the YJ, which looked totally different. Infact no that's not a REAL Jeep either.

Sorry but if you're as stupid as you seem to be coming across the only real Jeep doesn't exist, as the original was actually pretty much a copy of a French design back in the 1930's.

Get a life and stop bashing. If you don't want a JK - don't buy one. ;)

:wave: :wave: :wave:
I'll get one - just to see what it can really do in our mud and trees around here. I will just have to postpone getting one myself - locked into my payment plan on the '06 for a long time. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.