What causes a Jeep to pull when going through puddles on the street? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > What causes a Jeep to pull when going through puddles on the street?

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

What causes a Jeep to pull when going through puddles on the street?

I've noticed, since I've lifted and put larger tires that my Jeep really pulls when I hit puddles, more so that when it was stock. At slow street speeds, it's not a problem, but at highway speeds, it's almost pulled me off the road. Is there anyway to correct this?

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
LJMJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You'll need to adjust your alignment after the lift. Specifically, the Toe. It will have changed, and makes a big difference in overall stability. Secondly, depending on the tire tread design, a larger/wider tire is going to be more prone to pulling as it hits a deep puddle. Nature of the beast.
LJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The toe alignment on a JK doesn't need to be messed with, most likely.

All cars pull when they hit large puddles at speed.

Correct caster makes the Jeep feel as stable as it did when stock.

Does your lift have control arm drop brackets or adjustable arms?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
TOK

I don't think I've ever hit a puddle like that at highway speed, but a skinny tire is going to slice through water way better than a fat one. If you're running 12.5's, my suggestion is to either slow down or avoid the puddle.
TOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
I've noticed, since I've lifted and put larger tires that my Jeep really pulls when I hit puddles, more so that when it was stock. At slow street speeds, it's not a problem, but at highway speeds, it's almost pulled me off the road. Is there anyway to correct this?
You have a bigger tire with more resistance and that's all there is to it. Bigger wider tire is not going to slice through puddles like narrow tires. The lift has nothing to do with it.

On a side note. Installing a lift does not affect the toe alignment no matter how high you go. However, if the toe was out before the lift, the difference in caster after the lift may make the out of line toe adjustment more apparent.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

My first thought was hydroplaning..which is to say that the tires don't dissipate the water fast enough to keep traction. Are your tires "siped"?

I had this issue with my '71 K5 years ago, on 33" Bridgestone Duelers, and I remember the pucker factor!!

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wider tires = more drag/resistance. Not rocket science.
However proper alignment will help, and proper tire pressure will make a huge difference. Tire psi shouldn't necessarily be the same all year. An under inflated tired will trap water under the center of the tread and hydroplane more. A little more pressure will round out the tread and help force the water to the outside edges.
Also worth noting that some tires and tread patterns just suck in water.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJMJ View Post
You'll need to adjust your alignment after the lift. Specifically, the Toe. It will have changed, and makes a big difference in overall stability. Secondly, depending on the tire tread design, a larger/wider tire is going to be more prone to pulling as it hits a deep puddle. Nature of the beast.
NOT on a JK. On a Tj when you go up it changes the toe, so does just cycling the suspension. On a JK the Tie rod is separate from the drag, You can lift a JK 20,000 feet and the toe will not change.

Now geometry changes, yes.
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
You have a bigger tire with more resistance and that's all there is to it. Bigger wider tire is not going to slice through puddles like narrow tires. The lift has nothing to do with it.
This. Plus, as most of us do when lifting, you probably put a large mud or aggressive All terrain tire on. These tires tend to have larger tread blocks, and don't easily disperse water at high speed.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Goodyear Duratracs.
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Speed.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Speed.

I usually drive 50mph during these storms because of this issue. The last one was so bad, I got off the highway and took the local streets because it would be unsafe for me to drive any slower on the highway.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
spinlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Wider tires = more drag/resistance. Not rocket science.
However proper alignment will help, and proper tire pressure will make a huge difference. Tire psi shouldn't necessarily be the same all year. An under inflated tired will trap water under the center of the tread and hydroplane more. A little more pressure will round out the tread and help force the water to the outside edges.
Also worth noting that some tires and tread patterns just suck in water.
I concur.

Proper alignment specs including a bit more Caster will improve your directional stability with the larger tires. Even stock tires pull to one side when you hit water because usually puddles are perfectly symmetric across both front tires therefore they create induce towards one side or the other. A slight increase in Caster angle will increase the front tires tendency to want to go straight. The correct steering stabilizer will dampen the pull but not eliminate it.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.