Wet floor boards - 5th trip to dealer! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wet floor boards - 5th trip to dealer!

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Truck11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wet floor boards - 5th trip to dealer!

OK folks - need some help here. 2013 JKU that is 4 months old. Dual top - dealer installed the soft top as part of purchase agreement. It has been into the shop 4 times for leaking - both front foot wells soaked every time it rains. They have replaced the header bar on the soft top, 'realigned' it etc, replaced the front side trim pieces above the doors (?) last week... and then yesterday driver side floorboard soaked/flooded again. Passenger side seems fine (for now)

Any thoughts on where else it might be leaking from? Every time I pick it up they say it's fixed and they tested it, no leaks ...... ! DC metro area has not gotten a lot of rain this summer - but when it does rain..... I have wet floor boards. Could the entire soft top be 'bad' - just not fitting correctly or something?

Appreciate any input. Jeep is headed to the dealer... again, either today or tomorrow. Apparently they contract a 'water guy' that comes in once a week just to work on leaks.

Truck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
dodgethejeep

Do you see it leaking, or water tracks down the windshield?have you checked the bottom seal for windshield or the sealant? Need to pin down the leak before you can get a good fix. Is the water guy a culligan man or something? "Water guy" is BS.
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure how to cure the leak in the top.
But, I'd remove the floor drain plugs in the meantime. (not trying to be a smart-***, btw).

EDIT: I did some research. Check the plastic door frames. If the dealer sold you the soft top, and not the factory, they may have sold you the door frames from a previous year model. 2007-2009 door frames are different than the newer models, they had a lip in which you had to fold the fabric over on the edges over the door. If the soft top is a 2013, and the door frames are from 2007-2009, there is your problem...not compatible.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have a '14 with 2k miles on it. When it rains, I have a small puddle of water in my slush mat, driver's front. I have the Mopar door sill guards in my door sills, and water leaks in from the BOTTOM of my door. It is super annoying that the BOTTOM of my door leaks enough to pool. Don't assume it's the top, as that was the first place I looked. Bear with me, this might be hard to explain. If you watch water collect on the top while it's raining (or a hose) you will see the water runs down into a groove on the top of where the door meets the frame. The water then runs down either side of the door. The weather strip that runs around the inside of the door must not be making contact with the door correctly, thus water enters down there. I only discovered this by sitting in it while it was raining with a flashlight looking for leaks. I have not contacted the dealership yet, as I am afraid they will say to just take the door sills off. I want to leave them on, but I haven't figured out how to correct the weather strip issue to keep rain out. I can't imagine trying to drive through any standing water. You may not have the same issue, but given the dealership has had a couple looks at the top, maybe give some other spots a look.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
buckscop

Had/have the same leak in my '11, '12, and now the brand new '14
buckscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
mjp83
2011 JK Wrangler 

My 2011 leaks sometimes. However, this is on a used 2008 top. Here is a pic of where the water comes in, right over the door handles.

image-3557969421.jpg
mjp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
buckscop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp83 View Post
My 2011 leaks sometimes. However, this is on a used 2008 top. Here is a pic of where the water comes in, right over the door handles.
If that's a soft top, usually the foam mullet under the top is mis aligned or bad/missing
buckscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp83 View Post

Attachment 742457
The tops on the 2011 are different than a 2008, even though they appear to be the same. I'm not sure what changed, but I do know that they are not interchangeable.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #9
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

The door channel clip isn't there on the new tops. My 2012 has the mysterious puddle of water on the floorboards leak as well. As far as I can tell the rain runs down along the door sill between the weatherstripping and the body until it reaches the floor and just pops into the cabin. Magic apparently.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

^Is this something that can be fixed, or is it one of the "it's a jeep thing" problems people just deal with?
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckscop View Post
If that's a soft top, usually the foam mullet under the top is mis aligned or bad/missing
I still don't understand how a piece of FOAM is going to stop Florida rain storm water from getting into my Jeep?

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Truck11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Interesting replies from everyone..... thanks
Some more background. Bought the Jeep with hard top and had the dealer order me the 'premium' soft top as part of the deal (they did not have the 'dual top' option available). They installed the soft top once it came in.
Pics are from my quick hose leak-test I did yesterday at lunchtime before i took it in.
The water is NOT leaking onto the door (as in the other pics from above poster) or pooling IN my rubber mats, but rather UNDER the front carpet(s) in the edge closest to the frame lip.
jeep_trim2.jpg

jeep_trim1.jpg

Unread 10-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I would have to guess we have the same issue from your post. My rubber mats contact the area you described, it's just easier to see where it is collected in the mat. If I feel underneath it, it's wet underneath too. What did you find out when you took it in?
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Truck11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Soooo..... dealer just called me to advise the leak is now coming from the B pillar mucket seal, and the part has been ordered. Appointment made for next Wednesday and that I can come pick up the Jeep this afternoon. So tempted to let them keep it and i'll drive the loaner - only problem is the loan is a crappy, itty bitty Kia (but it was getting 43mpg!)

But wait...... I said I SAW is leaking from the A pillar???? He assured me it was the B pillar and it was running the channel "I watched it myself" he said. (Insert sarcasm voice here!) But wait.... how does the water leak down the A pillar from the top of the windscreen if it is leaking from the B pillar mucket? I'm confused
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a leak that would do this. The leak came from the passenger side by the kick panel there was a rectangular body plug that didnt seal right. I took this off and siliconed the edges and stuck it back in place. Still no issues from this area. I also have a dealer leak test manual that I used to help me. Send me your email and i can send it to you since its a large pdf i cant post it.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.