Wen't wheelin and have a question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wen't wheelin and have a question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 10-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
jlued
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wen't wheelin and have a question

So we go out to Boulder Creek Farms in Marble Falls Texas and had a blast getting dirty and climbing up some steep loose rock hills. Climbing one hill I was in 4hi and just flat didn't have the power to climb the hill. Mid way up I nearly stalled and managed to get it into 4lo and bounced and hopped my way up no problem.

Is this something that is to be expected? I know that is what 4lo is for and all but I didn't think there would be THAT big a difference on an incline. It felt like a whole different vehicle.

(I've had limited climbing experience, most wheeling has been done in mud or sand)

jlued is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Bitzorock
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah 4 lo will do wonders.. so would a locker and good tires.. Its better to just start off 4lo in a climb rather than trying to fumble around with it when your but cheaks wont let go of the seat.. hehe

Richard Clark
06 Wrangler Unlimited
Bitzorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzorock View Post
Yeah 4 lo will do wonders.. so would a locker and good tires.. Its better to just start off 4lo in a climb rather than trying to fumble around with it when your but cheaks wont let go of the seat.. hehe
I agree... In fact I never even use 4Hi- when I'm wheeling I use 4Lo exclusively. I never have any need to "go fast" when I'm off road, so 4Lo is always fine. Plus 4Lo turns off the ESP/BAS so I know none of that will interfere.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I agree... In fact I never even use 4Hi- when I'm wheeling I use 4Lo exclusively. I never have any need to "go fast" when I'm off road, so 4Lo is always fine. Plus 4Lo turns off the ESP/BAS so I know none of that will interfere.
What about us loser guys that can only go off road on a beach? How would 4 lo do on the beach? Just curious
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Gravitytester
2008 JK Wrangler 

4hi is all you need on the beach, just makle sure you turn off the esp. If you don't, when you start to get some wheel spin it will kick in and start braking the tires that are spinning and bog you down.
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I usually use 4LO 2nd gear for trail riding, and go to 1st when I need to climb or crawl something.
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
I usually use 4LO 2nd gear for trail riding, and go to 1st when I need to climb or crawl something.
Exactly the same I do.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitytester View Post
4hi is all you need on the beach, just makle sure you turn off the esp. If you don't, when you start to get some wheel spin it will kick in and start braking the tires that are spinning and bog you down.
Yup- I've only done beach wheeling twice (not real fond of all that sand everywhere afterwards), and did exactly that. The only problem is that anytime you turn the engine off, you have to remember to turn the ESP off again when you start the Jeep back up. I forgot numerous times.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Yup- I've only done beach wheeling twice (not real fond of all that sand everywhere afterwards), and did exactly that. The only problem is that anytime you turn the engine off, you have to remember to turn the ESP off again when you start the Jeep back up. I forgot numerous times.
I usually leave ESP alone, but it seems like even with it off the light still blinks like it's being activated...
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
I usually leave ESP alone, but it seems like even with it off the light still blinks like it's being activated...
If you are in 4Hi, it is active unless you manually turn it off. So if it is active and blinks, it is in fact activating. And it is probably activating in situations that you don't want its help.

4Lo- automatically off
4Hi- manually turn it off (every time you start the engine)

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yea, but what I'm saying is when I disable it by the button in 4hi.. if I'm doing between 15-20MPH on the beach (yea I'm a fast driver, hehe) the light is lit up on my dash, but it does blink-- although it does not seem like it's doing anything. Maybe it's trying to tell me that my wheel is slipping but it's not correcting it?
Unread 10-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
jlued
2007 JK Wrangler 

most of the time I'm in 4hi on the beach...soon as I hit really thick stuff and keep having to downshift to get moving again I just give up goin fast and put it into 4lo and just power through everything.

So next time we go out (which will be very soon...i was too chicken to go up a couple of hills that im now kicking myself for not doing) i will just go straight to 4lo thanks guys.
Unread 10-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm just thinking that 4 lo would get you stuck because it's doing more digging? I'll have to try 4 lo..

I hit a hill that was 4ft high and my JK didn't even struggle, I just drove up like it was a little bump
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

When Iím wheeling I only use 4lo if the situation requires it (large rocks, steep climbs, tricky off-camber parts, etc.) or if Iím going up or down a hill where Iím not sure of. I also turn off the ESP to full off as soon as I hit the dirt. If youíre going to do any type of aggressive off-roading I would recommend turning the ESP to full off. If you donít it will activate at the most inopportune moment. To turn it to the full-off mode you have to be stopped with the engine on depressed hold the ESP OFF switch for 5 seconds. At that time you should hear a chime and the indicator light will come on saying ďESP OFFĒ. To turn it back on just push the switch again and it returns to normal operation. Now, whether youíre in 4hi or 4lo, the ESP will temporarily go back to normal on whenever you go over 40 mph.
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
jlued
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
I'm just thinking that 4 lo would get you stuck because it's doing more digging? I'll have to try 4 lo..

I hit a hill that was 4ft high and my JK didn't even struggle, I just drove up like it was a little bump

most definitely not...4lo makes sand that you would normally have trouble with in 4hi seem silly.

The problem I was having was a steep incline of about 40 yards with rocks here and there that I had to climb over.

I didn't think that 4hi would have a problem with it if i stayed in 1st...i was wrong. I was able to engage 4lo and i nearly went airborne.

fun stuff!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.