Well the JK needs a crankshaft. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Well the JK needs a crankshaft.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
GeorgiaJK07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well the JK needs a crankshaft.

Jeep randomly started making a ticking noise from the motor one night. Was going up a steep hill and dropped down in 1 then 2 and that's when it started. Took it to the dealer the following day. They said there was no oil in it. I change my oil every 3000 miles. Never had a problem. I was right at 3000 when this happened. Not to mention 2 days before this my buddie calls and is asking about why his jeep oil light keeps coming on. I've been cursed. ANYWAY. The dealer put 5qts of oil in it and the ticking is still there. They say it needs a crankshaft. $3500. Yes I know it's high and that's why I'm getting a second opinion. The engine is not leaking oil. Nor burning it. The crank seal apparently has a super small leak. Not enough to drip. Where is my oil going!!!??? Have you ran into this?

Unread 05-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
ncb

JK 3.8s can be oil burners. Must check the oil frequently. Mine burns one qt. between oil changes.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Drmudgood
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Are you mechanically inclined?

Ive read posts here of people picking up low mile 3.8's for a couple grand. May be the way to go if you can install yourself. Get a 2nd opinion on your crank 1st though.
Drmudgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

There is a lot of threads on this. One reason i waited for the 3.6. Not that that was much better with the head issues they have. From what i recall it was the rings. I have read that it was that the rings were not clocked right during the manufacturing of them in mexico?. Seems that Jeep even changed the what is "normal" amount of oil burned between oil changes. seems that the 07-08 had the most trouble.

Seems like alot of money to fix, just a crank? or is that a replacment motor/ short block? I would be looking at a swap to more reliable motor and one that has more power.

low oil wll fry the rods, lead to a spun bearing and total failure
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

aren't some 3.8 owners using a thicker oil to slow down the leak?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy
aren't some 3.8 owners using a thicker oil to slow down the leak?
Yes the easy solution is running heavier oil. Usually 5W30 is sufficient, however, once the engine runs that low on oil, damage has been done.
A leaking rear main seal is sometimes hard to detect without close inspection. The oil just spreads along the underside of the Jeep. If you go through mud and water regularly, the oil is washed away. An occasional belly wash and inspection would help identify a leaking seal, pan gasket leak and tranny line leaks as well.
To the OP a low mileage engine from a wrecker would be my choice. The dealer or any shop could install a complete used motor faster for you then rebuilding your current motor.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
TXWK131
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've had 10W-40 in mine (basically diesel) and my knock has subsided. Helped a lot but still plan on doin the 5.7 hemi
DIY DECK LID
[/CENTER]

2006 Navy WK HEMI ~RK 3.5 lift - 17" Moabs - Toyo 265.70.17 AT - Bedliner Paint Job - [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD[/B][/COLOR]

'85 XJ... Still tryin to figure out what the heck I have in this piece of Junk! But you gotta start somewhere
TXWK131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
GeorgiaJK07
2007 JK Wrangler 

If all else fails ill do a engine swap. Dealer wants $3500 for crankshaft and all new seals everywhere. Guy I know prob wont want near that. Still waiting to hear back from him. Anybody do any engine swaps?
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

replacing the crank and all seals? what about the rings, it was burning oil?

short block
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
GeorgiaJK07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yea they didn't say anything about rings. I haven't noticed it burning oil. Like someone said above^^^ it leaks from the crankcase and once you go through any water it all gets washed away so It goes un noticed. You can only see it with a close and thorough inspection. Which I can see now that I know where it's leaking.
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
TXWK131
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
replacing the crank and all seals? what about the rings, it was burning oil?

short block
Ding Ding... Crankshaft and seals won't fix the burning oil problem. It might help but its more of a bandaid. You need the rings/pistons and rods replaced which is basically a rebuild anyway so you might as well just do an engine swap by the time ur done it will be the same amount of $ if not less. Doc hit the nail on da head
DIY DECK LID
[/CENTER]

2006 Navy WK HEMI ~RK 3.5 lift - 17" Moabs - Toyo 265.70.17 AT - Bedliner Paint Job - [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD[/B][/COLOR]

'85 XJ... Still tryin to figure out what the heck I have in this piece of Junk! But you gotta start somewhere
TXWK131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Most of the people who have been burning oil have seen no smoke from the tail pipe.
5 quarts in 3,000 miles is a lot to leak out with no evidence.

To those who may not be checking their oil regularly: Change your ways, and pull that dip stick once in a while.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaJK07
Yea they didn't say anything about rings. I haven't noticed it burning oil. Like someone said above^^^ it leaks from the crankcase and once you go through any water it all gets washed away so It goes un noticed. You can only see it with a close and thorough inspection. Which I can see now that I know where it's leaking.
If it's leaking five quarts in 3000 miles are you seeing oil on the garage floor?
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
If it's leaking five quarts in 3000 miles are you seeing oil on the garage floor?
^^^ this there would be a puddle if its leaking that much oil. If you are crossing water with that much of a leak the EPA would track you down and the green people would fallow you home.

I had a ford 390 "76" that was a leaker. I should have just tied an oil pan to the bottom and poured it back in.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
GeorgiaJK07
2007 JK Wrangler 

There hasn't been one drop of oil on my carport. No blue smoke so obviously I assumed it wasn't burning it up and obviously I assumed it wasn't leaking. Had I known it was gonna randomly drink up 5 qts in 3000 miles I would have paid more close attention to checking it more regularly. Gonna replace crank and seals and see. What happens. $700 max. It's my only option right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.