Weld on rock rails. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Weld on rock rails.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
HAFICON
2012 JK Wrangler 

Weld on rock rails.

Looking to go to weld on rock sliders in some form or shape. I currently have ones that bolt on through the body mounts. They have taken a beaten and have flexed so much that they have cracked the frame portion of the body mount.

But for the people who had them welded onto the frame rail did you do anything to prevent rust on the inside of the frame where the factory coating got burnt off? Thinking about Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. Anyone use this stuff is it any good? Living up here in the Northeast has been killer on my Jeep I was hoping for a transfer but looks like I am here another 2 years so tiring to do all I can to minimize rust.

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blues-jeep-build-lots-pictures-1509366/[/url]
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have Evo weld on rails. They have been great. I had Ace with Rubi rails and they did flex quite a bit. Mostly got rid of the Ace because of poor ground clearance.

Don't know about the rust question. We don't get much rust in CA.

I know the LOD can be welded and Ace now makes a weld on rail.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
HAFICON
2012 JK Wrangler 

yea.. I am looking at a few brands need one that functions as a step as well. But my main concern is rust inside the frame rail after they are welded.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blues-jeep-build-lots-pictures-1509366/[/url]
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

The evo can be ordered with a bend for a step, or without. I got them with the step.

LOD, Shockworks, Jcr were the others I was considering. All have a step.

For the rust, just spray a few layers of rustoleum flat black. I use it to touch up my rails and avoid rust.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
The evo can be ordered with a bend for a step, or without. I got them with the step.

LOD, Shockworks, Jcr were the others I was considering. All have a step.

For the rust, just spray a few layers of rustoleum flat black. I use it to touch up my rails and avoid rust.
LOD sliders can bend in the rear with a hard impact and hit the pinch seam. Their rear mount is too far forward, allowing the rear of the rail to flex. Happened to me and I had them welded on.
Unread 07-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
JKSA
2008 JK Wrangler 

Weld on the tubes then drill access holes where you could sort of inject antirust coating then just plug the holes. If you drill the holes at the bottom of the tube the excess could run out before plugging them. Jm2c
JKSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

We do a lot of the EVO weld on's and have never had a issue with rusting. I to like the idea about injecting the antirust though.

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Serg5000
2008 JK Wrangler 

Total rust prevention is going to be near impossible. As the weld is burning the paint on the inside of the frame rail, the paint may not burn completely off. Some of the paint may just peel and stay. Unless you can scrape the burn section clean some of the inner frame will rust once the burnt paint falls off. Spraying some kind of rust inhibitor will work. But not 100% unless you can clean the burned surface completely.
Serg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
HAFICON
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serg5000 View Post
Total rust prevention is going to be near impossible. As the weld is burning the paint on the inside of the frame rail, the paint may not burn completely off. Some of the paint may just peel and stay. Unless you can scrape the burn section clean some of the inner frame will rust once the burnt paint falls off. Spraying some kind of rust inhibitor will work. But not 100% unless you can clean the burned surface completely.
Goodpoint.. here with all the salt and sand they put on the roads I try to do all I can to prevent rust. Only 2 years left maybe the next two winters are not to bad.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #10
HAFICON
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road View Post
We do a lot of the EVO weld on's and have never had a issue with rusting. I to like the idea about injecting the antirust though.

-Jason
Thanks Jason, I just ordered a roof rack from you I will be getting some rocker replacements soon from you.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Great! Just let us know how we can help my friend...

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I love the ACE Builders Kit sliders I got from Jason for my 2 door. Lots of welding, but I was able to angle the sliders precisely how I wanted them so that they are PERFECT for my use as a foot rest when my doors are off. They are definitely the low point on my Jeep and have taken quite a beating, but I've repainted them a couple times and the metal hadn't been dented at all.

I originally coated mine in Monstaliner, and that's a decision I now regret. I'm in the slow and painful process of sanding the Monstaliner off and spraying with Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.