Weird noise when starting in freezing weather. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird noise when starting in freezing weather.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
does it sound like this "Meeeeeeeooooooooooooooowwwwww thaq thaq thaq tick tick tick errrrrrrrrr"
Haha I got a hoot out of this. No think a single high pitched grunt right as the vehicle cranks over.

Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

What year is your jk.. mine does it and it's the water pump but it only last a few secs and then goes away. ... I'm still under power train warranty but dealer can't pin it down because it only lasts for a sec in really cold weather and they need to be sure for warranty purposes.

Sent while doing like other stuff too kinda.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
kromar
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine is an 08 and just put a water pump on it a few months ago. Same noise with old pump and new one. Just a real cold weather thing !
kromar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #19
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Are any of you that live in these crazy negative temps using a block heater or anything? Seems like with temps that cold I would want a block heater on the jeep at night. Cold starts like that are hard on engines and the heater should help a little.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #20
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Are any of you that live in these crazy negative temps using a block heater or anything? Seems like with temps that cold I would want a block heater on the jeep at night. Cold starts like that are hard on engines and the heater should help a little.
Really only need the heater on for 30 minutes before start up. From what I know and what people say the only thing its useful for is that it allows you to unplug it and go. Instead of heating it up in the morning it would however save you gas
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #21
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2010. And it's pluged in all night.
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
Michel347

I plug mine on a timer for 2 hours only when it's -15C and below.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #23
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
I live in the same city as the op, and I rarely plug it in or warm it up. I've plugged it in once or twice, and only warmed it up for about 10 minutes once this winter (it was around -30 some). I run synthetic so it is usually get in and go. The synthetic will make it easy to start, and it warms up way faster if you're actually moving
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #24
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
I live in the same city as the op, and I rarely plug it in or warm it up. I've plugged it in once or twice, and only warmed it up for about 10 minutes once this winter (it was around -30 some). I run synthetic so it is usually get in and go. The synthetic will make it easy to start, and it warms up way faster if you're actually moving
I never plugged the beast in at all last winter and it was fine. Just started happening this year. And I course. I couldn't replicate the noise at the dealer. Being a 20 year old the mechanic thought I was high of the reefer. Even showed him this thread, thinks we are all full of non sense. None the less this dealer is officially dead to me.

Thanks for the input. I have a uncle coming down who teaches mechanics so I'm going to enlist him for assistance next weekend
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Todays oils are better than they used to be. Back in the 80's when living up in Ely, MN (by the canook border) we would see temps at -40º on a somewhat normal basis and we'd go a week or so without it getting above -10ºF. At our gas station, if we left a can of oil sit out overnight it would freeze up to the point of needing a hammer and chisel to get any oil out of the can. (Remember those old cardboard oil cans?) Todays oils especially synthetic and blended oils are much better in those extreme colds. The block heater kept the engine coolant warm enough to keep the oil fluid enough so it would flow through the oil pump. Otherwise when you started the engine you could be running without oil flowing until the engine warmed up. I had an old Corvair which was air-cooled. Every morning I took the hot coals out of the wood stove and put those under the oil pan just to get it started. If I didn't there was no chance it would start and if it did you'd hear the bottom of the crankshaft gouging out the frozen oil, thud thud thud.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #26
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilgeno View Post
Todays oils are better than they used to be. Back in the 80's when living up in Ely, MN (by the canook border) we would see temps at -40º on a somewhat normal basis and we'd go a week or so without it getting above -10ºF. At our gas station, if we left a can of oil sit out overnight it would freeze up to the point of needing a hammer and chisel to get any oil out of the can. (Remember those old cardboard oil cans?) Todays oils especially synthetic and blended oils are much better in those extreme colds. The block heater kept the engine coolant warm enough to keep the oil fluid enough so it would flow through the oil pump. Otherwise when you started the engine you could be running without oil flowing until the engine warmed up. I had an old Corvair which was air-cooled. Every morning I took the hot coals out of the wood stove and put those under the oil pan just to get it started. If I didn't there was no chance it would start and if it did you'd hear the bottom of the crankshaft gouging out the frozen oil, thud thud thud.
That sounds like a horrible time! I'd take a random
Noise over having to
Manually heat my oil pan daily hahaha
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #27
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure why you guys who live in the colder climates wouldn't plug in your vehicles...
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #28
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-P View Post
Not sure why you guys who live in the colder climates wouldn't plug in your vehicles...
Don't wanna across as an jerk or anything but have you ever lived in a cold
Climate like canada? My rig can sit in -30 Celsius all weekend and start without a hesitation. Just makes that stupid noise. We're not rolling around old vehicles like posted above.
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #29
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Seriously? Not sure if your serious but if you look just a little below peoples user names it usually says their locations. Maybe your on a smart phone though?

Having a basic understanding of the internal combustion engine would surely prompt you to want to plug your vehicles in, synthetic oil or not.
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #30
tommyboyOSU
2009 JK Wrangler 

Jeeze that is some cold weather. Good thing my 2009 JK heater blasts piping hot air out to keep me warm in 35 degree Oklahoma winter. lol
tommyboyOSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.