Weird noise coming from my new 2013! VIDEO. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird noise coming from my new 2013! VIDEO.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Jeep-E
2013 JK Wrangler 

Weird noise coming from my new 2013! VIDEO.

Hey guys I just picked up my 2013 Wrangler last week and it's brand spanking new . I noticed this weird noise coming from the engine bay and I have no idea what it could be. It's like a screeching sound, Is this sound normal?

I didn't know how to post videos on the forum but here is the youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9S8G9CU3q8

Thanks everybody.

Unread 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a 2013 JK and it don't sound like that! Belt? Bearing? Not sure.... I know I'd be back at the dealership ASAP.
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Therios
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is surely NOT right. Back to the dealer! Does sound like a bearing to me. Just out of interest, does it change under load? How about RPM? Does it change when the ac compressor engages? Can you discern a quadrant or general area it comes from under the hood? I am really interested in hearing what it turns out to be.
-New Bestop replacement
-Orfab front bumper (DONE)
-CRS rear bumper
-CRS rear bumper tire mount swing arm.
-led third light mods that sit in the two spare tire lug holes.
-because of above - removed ugly third light tower completely
-smitty top end grab handles
-20" LED light bar 10 degree spot (installed now and blindingly operational)
-50" LED light bar 20 degree flood ( changed to 30" in center 3 tabs, installed but not wired)
-windshield mount light bar (done)
-winch 8000# smitty
-Monstaliner complete pan in red head(as soon as they deliver it) (done)
-Carpet removed
-corbeau RS reclining seats
-corbeau water proof seat covers
-corbeau seat mount replacements (removes tilt forward passenger seat)
-AXD 430 receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AXD4...-Receiver.html
-hood hinge mount for my hi lift jack
-Headlight replacements
-tremendous mt 31.5/10.5 15s on nice alloy rims
-Everything else is stock... For now

-next items
Led dash replacements

Led square lights for 6 free mounting tabs
Led backup lights
Therios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 13 also and it's so quiet at idle that you don't even know it's running.

Dan
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Jeep-E
2013 JK Wrangler 

My fears are confirmed. I didn't think it was right either. Vehicle only has 1,300KM on it right now. The sound was there right from the start, 200KM when I picked it up.

I toke the motor cover off yesterday and it gets louder. Seems more prominent on the left side of the jeep (if your sitting in drivers seat).

The AC is an interesting thing. At first, when I engaged the AC it seemed to have stopped. Once I turned the AC off after a few seconds it would start again. HOWEVER. That little situation no longer applies as the sound is there now even with the AC on or off.
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the same exact noise on my 2012. First time I got the belt changed and it went away. Now it's back and sounds just like yours. Ill post a video later of it!
Wrangler44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Therios
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could always see if it was related to idler without a belt. Would tell you really fast if it was drive train or belt train.
-New Bestop replacement
-Orfab front bumper (DONE)
-CRS rear bumper
-CRS rear bumper tire mount swing arm.
-led third light mods that sit in the two spare tire lug holes.
-because of above - removed ugly third light tower completely
-smitty top end grab handles
-20" LED light bar 10 degree spot (installed now and blindingly operational)
-50" LED light bar 20 degree flood ( changed to 30" in center 3 tabs, installed but not wired)
-windshield mount light bar (done)
-winch 8000# smitty
-Monstaliner complete pan in red head(as soon as they deliver it) (done)
-Carpet removed
-corbeau RS reclining seats
-corbeau water proof seat covers
-corbeau seat mount replacements (removes tilt forward passenger seat)
-AXD 430 receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AXD4...-Receiver.html
-hood hinge mount for my hi lift jack
-Headlight replacements
-tremendous mt 31.5/10.5 15s on nice alloy rims
-Everything else is stock... For now

-next items
Led dash replacements

Led square lights for 6 free mounting tabs
Led backup lights
Therios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did you bring it to the dealership yet? I'm still trying to figure out what it is for myself..
Wrangler44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Jeep-E
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK everyone - Here's the update - and its not good (Well for me at least)

They apparently "Fixed" the problem aside from the fact that they DIDN'T! I have the work order and they said they changed the idler and the belt. Drove away from the dealership got home, left the truck running - waited a few minutes and BOOM - it was back.

Some other bits of info you guys should know. Here's whats wrong with my BRAND NEW 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Mind you these issues appeared at 300KM on the truck. Ya you read that correctly - 300KM (Three hundred).

Weird noise coming from truck - video above. Serviced, problem NOT solved.

Blown Speaker (Right Rear) - Serviced, speaker replaced - problem solved.

T-roof's leak from the front of truck. Water leaks onto radio and into dash tray.
Serviced TWICE - Not Resolved (Still leaks)

Water flowing or gargling sound comes from behind the dash board when car starts and through-out driving. It sounds like theres a aquarium behind my dash board.
-Apparently, this is an Echo coming from water leaking the t-roofs..(ya he actually said that.)..He said that there is water stuck INSIDE my t-roof and the sound is bouncing off the dash and hitting my ear - so I think the water sound is coming from the dash...People either believe other people are really stupid--or they themselves are really stupid.
-- oh ya problem NOT RESOLVED.

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
ESCOFF

I have the same problem with my 13. The sound is intermittent and never occurs when at the dealer. I recorded the noise on video, showed it to the tech he decided it was my alternator, replaced it and the noise was still there later that week.
Going in again soon for more guessing.
ESCOFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-E View Post
OK everyone - Here's the update - and its not good (Well for me at least)

They apparently "Fixed" the problem aside from the fact that they DIDN'T! I have the work order and they said they changed the idler and the belt. Drove away from the dealership got home, left the truck running - waited a few minutes and BOOM - it was back.

Some other bits of info you guys should know. Here's whats wrong with my BRAND NEW 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Mind you these issues appeared at 300KM on the truck. Ya you read that correctly - 300KM (Three hundred).

Weird noise coming from truck - video above. Serviced, problem NOT solved.

Blown Speaker (Right Rear) - Serviced, speaker replaced - problem solved.

T-roof's leak from the front of truck. Water leaks onto radio and into dash tray.
Serviced TWICE - Not Resolved (Still leaks)

Water flowing or gargling sound comes from behind the dash board when car starts and through-out driving. It sounds like theres a aquarium behind my dash board.
-Apparently, this is an Echo coming from water leaking the t-roofs..(ya he actually said that.)..He said that there is water stuck INSIDE my t-roof and the sound is bouncing off the dash and hitting my ear - so I think the water sound is coming from the dash...People either believe other people are really stupid--or they themselves are really stupid.
-- oh ya problem NOT RESOLVED.

Your Jeep is pissed that you keep calling it a truck. IIRC water behind dash is a know problem with a fix do a search. Also leaking top has some fixes in front needing a little weather stripping added.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Jeep-E
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Your Jeep is pissed that you keep calling it a truck. IIRC water behind dash is a know problem with a fix do a search. Also leaking top has some fixes in front needing a little weather stripping added.
Really an easy fix for the water behind the dash? Maybe you could shed some light on it? I tried a google search came up short.

But in all honesty - I shouldnt have to "FIX" anything on a brand new JEEP!
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

I get that same noise like a water noise behind the dash on my 2013 Jku , it sounds like the heater core it does it when I first start driving it then it stops and might not do it again for a week so I'm interested in what the easy fix . I haven't taken to the dealer yet

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-E View Post
Really an easy fix for the water behind the dash? ...
I never said easy, Took 3 minutes to find these;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/weird-liquid-noise-coming-dash-when-i-start-my-jeep-1375718/

and from a post on another forum is this "
Quote:
Dealer resolved issue...air trapped in heater core causing radiator fluid to slosh inside of it. Because the core is so low, the shop had to raise the front end to get air to go up and out the system with the motor running and heater on. They had to cycle it several times. Issue resolved.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
Jeep-E
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I never said easy, Took 3 minutes to find these;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/weird-liquid-noise-coming-dash-when-i-start-my-jeep-1375718/

and from a post on another forum is this "

Thanks you "Filthy-Beast" - You so much smarter then I am.

Good thing the dealer thinks its trapped water in the t-roofs echoing off the dash and into my ear.

Now maybe Filthy can let us know about the weird noise coming from truck. Video is in first post.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.