weight question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > weight question

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
BjBk11
2011 JK Wrangler 

weight question

I am getting the AEV 2.5" lift with Goodyear 35" kevlar.

To handle the new wheels and tires I am going to put on the smittybilt xrc rear bumper and tire carrier.

I am keeping the stock bumper up front so I am wondering if the additional weight in the rear without any compensation in the front is going to cause a significant lean to the back. Will it be just enought weight to get rid of the factory rake or will it be significantly more than that?

My thoughts are that the aev springs and new shocks will prevent any issues.

BjBk11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Jodyblip
2012 JK Wrangler 

i have aev 3.5 on a 2 door and mine had alot more height in the front than the back i ended up buying teraflex 1 inch spacer to add to the back to make it look right so the extra weight in the back might set it right if the 2.5 is set up like the 3.5
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
BjBk11
2011 JK Wrangler 

So you are making it sound like a bumper plus tire on the rear will cause a bit of sag? Your wording confuses me a bit... becuz u say u had to add a spacer to adjust the rear but then u say my bumper will make it right?
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Coil spacers are a cheap, easy way to balance it out. If you haven't bought the Smitty yet, I'd suggest looking for a carrier that's more sturdy. Too many people I know have their Chinese quality issues...

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
BjBk11
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm...can u recommend anything in the $1000 range? With carrier?

As for the sag issue, I just don't want to look like those pick up trucks you see with overweight trailers on the hitch causing the rear to be maxed out.

I hear the aev suspension is tuned to take in account aftermarket weight, however with me just adding weight to the rear I assume it will cause a bit of a disproportionate look.

I would like to avoid spacers becuz eventually I will get a new front bumper and weight in the front I just can't afford it all at once.

I'm just wondering if u guys have seen this and how bad it will look and if it will affect the handling at all.
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Jodyblip
2012 JK Wrangler 

you can look at mine for refernce it is a 3.5 but it is aev has a very solid heavy front bumper(no winch though) and a standard spare on back and i had to add a 1 inch rear spacer to get this stance http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-pics-1501802/
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Teraflex leveling spacers (1"R/2"F) on 4door Rubi coils. I have steel bumpers and a winch, and the entire back of mine is stuffed with wheeling/camping/emergency gear (inside a Tuffy rear deck enclosure).
Here's a good "stance" photo from when I had a swing out carrier and 32" (Rubi) tires/wheels:

I got rid of the swing out. Unless I get the ORFab with the Gerry Can mounts, I don't see any reason for one personally. (don't plan on bigger tires)

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjBk11 View Post
Hmmm...can u recommend anything in the $1000 range? With carrier?
I can't speak first hand about the quality of this bumper, but I have not ever seen anything bad about the company or quality that they did not fix.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...rier_p_83.html
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I hate weight questions.

I usually get in trouble when I answer "no dear the pants do not make you look like you gained weight, that's like blaming the scale".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.